Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd think Tampa will look to move Callahan (who has one year on his deal). I'd be curious if we can swing a trade for him and get someone like a Tyler Johnson or more likely Palat.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If Hall is back, and Schneider can hold up, then I think adding a true #1 D puts us in the contending mix. Would we be amongst the favorites? No, but look at this years playoff favorites. Get into the playoffs and you have a chance.
Hall back to form, Cory and MB being serviceable in net, Smith improving the left side, and Hughes improving the top six should certainly at least put them back in the playoff picture.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah I have Karlsson going to Vegas

I think we may be in on Myers or Trouba. Problem is Trouba is he costs assets

i’m going to go out on a limb and say bob, panarin, and karlsson end up in florida. they all take discounts because they’re saving millions in taxes, they go on to win 3 cups over the next 7 years

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
i’m going to go out on a limb and say bob, panarin, and karlsson end up in florida. they all take discounts because they’re saving millions in taxes, they go on to win 3 cups over the next 7 years
You think Florida is going to drop ~$28mil per on free agents?

The tax issue is so overblown on these boards. If that mattered to these guys Carolina, Dallas, Florida, and Arizona would be perennial contenders and free agents would scoff at the rags, Toronto, Chicago, and LA.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You think Florida is going to drop ~$28mil per on free agents?

The tax issue is so overblown on these boards. If that mattered to these guys Carolina, Dallas, Florida, and Arizona would be perennial contenders and free agents would scoff at the rags, Toronto, Chicago, and LA.

i wasn’t being 100% serious, but they could. i don’t think they brought in quenneville to dick around

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
To be fair, we could say the same about Taylor Hall.
You can which is actually why Im extra hesitant about it with yet another contract from a guy whos had recent injury woes in an area thats been affected before (Hall too).

Im not totally against Karlsson - just presume its unrealistic anyway and even if it was an option the price likely is too high

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What about Cody Ceci? 25yo RHD who's more of a defensive-minded player if Im reading him correctly, played 23:30 ATOI in 2016-17 with Ottawa and 23ATOI in the playoffs for 19 games. Has been rumored for a while to be available and, honestly, seems like a Shero-type pickup as a guy who can flourish elsewhere.

Even if he wasn't that good recently, playing 22+ATOI for three seasons is impressive in itself. Perhaps someone else has advanced stats on him. If he was bad defensively IDT he'd play that much over that long a period

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
What about Cody Ceci? 25yo RHD who's more of a defensive-minded player if Im reading him correctly, played 23:30 ATOI in 2016-17 with Ottawa and 23ATOI in the playoffs for 19 games. Has been rumored for a while to be available and, honestly, seems like a Shero-type pickup as a guy who can flourish elsewhere.

Even if he wasn't that good recently, playing 22+ATOI for three seasons is impressive in itself. Perhaps someone else has advanced stats on him. If he was bad defensively IDT he'd play that much over that long a period
I mean, we are talking about 22+ ATOI on Ottawa.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I have some bad news - Ceci is awful. His team doesn't help but he's really bad in his current role.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

He is terrible

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I'd think Tampa will look to move Callahan (who has one year on his deal). I'd be curious if we can swing a trade for him and get someone like a Tyler Johnson or more likely Palat.
Really dont see either being good fits (Johnson or Palat). Palat doesnt score enough and Johnson is too small, im fine with more 5’11-6’ players but we dont need a 5’9” forward who mainly plays center anyway. Palat is a lower end 2nd liner we dont need to be moving assets for unless hes practically free. If Johnson scored enough to compensate for his size then sure, idt hes worth the assets. There are 3-4 guys in FA who can produce similarly to Johnson for only cash

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I wouldn't mind going after Joonas Donskoi if he makes it to UFA. Could be a very solid pickup. Put up good numbers in limited minutes with San Jose this year. Almost .5 ppg playing 13 min/gp. We have a hole at 2RW and may be able to plug him there with good linemates and solid minutes.

I'd imagine he'll have interest this offseason. I wonder what @Bleedred thoughts are on him since he watches the Sharks wayyyy more than I do

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Vegas isn't signing Erik Karlsson. They are already at 77M against the cap not including Clarkson and still have to re-sign William Karlsson.

They could still do it. Move out Reilly Smith and Miller and replace them with Gusev and Karlsson. I agree it's unlikely but it should be something Vegas looks at.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Really dont see either being good fits (Johnson or Palat). Palat doesnt score enough and Johnson is too small, im fine with more 5’11-6’ players but we dont need a 5’9” forward who mainly plays center anyway. Palat is a lower end 2nd liner we dont need to be moving assets for unless hes practically free. If Johnson scored enough to compensate for his size then sure, idt hes worth the assets. There are 3-4 guys in FA who can produce similarly to Johnson for only cash

My issue with them isn’t that they’re small, but that their best years are likely behind them. They both are overpaid and Johnson’s deal is like for another five years and who knows how good they are if they’re not playing for a team like Tampa.

I agree with an earlier poster that if Tampa wants us to help solve their cap issues, we really need to make them pay with someone like Sergachev. If they think that’s too much, we don’t really need Johnson or Palat who don’t advance the ball all that much.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Both Johnson and Cally would have to waive their ntc

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
My issue with them isn’t that they’re small, but that their best years are likely behind them. They both are overpaid and Johnson’s deal is like for another five years and who knows how good they are if they’re not playing for a team like Tampa.

I agree with an earlier poster that if Tampa wants us to help solve their cap issues, we really need to make them pay with someone like Sergachev. If they think that’s too much, we don’t really need Johnson or Palat who don’t advance the ball all that much.

Palat, Johnson, Killorn, and Stamkos all signed tax discount contracts that included full no trade clauses. None of them will be traded. If Tampa trades someone, it will have to be Miller and/or Callahan.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad