Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hughes

56370261-22D8-40BC-B765-B379390FE070.gif

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What do yall think is going on with our defense this off-season?

We already have Vatanen Severson Greene Santini Smith signed, may bring back Butcher and Mueller.

Do we add a defenseman? Via trade or FA? Do we just re-sign our guys and roll with that?

Id like your thoughts guys because I think these questions make or break next season - defense has to be our priority after winning the draft lottery

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
May bring back Butcher? They are definitely bringing back Butcher.
Well its not known yet so its a maybe as of now.

Plus we dont know what Butchers demands are nor if Shero is perhaps looking to move him.

Butchers skating does not fit our team makeup and his defense doesnt really make up for it. Hes still young and can grow more but maybe Shero wants to cash in on that value he has now before his weaknesses become too great

Severson can run a PP well, as can Vatanen if need be and Smith is expected to be that as well

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Well its not known yet so its a maybe as of now.

Plus we dont know what Butchers demands are nor if Shero is perhaps looking to move him.

Butchers skating does not fit our team makeup and his defense doesnt really make up for it. Hes still young and can grow more but maybe Shero wants to cash in on that value he has now before his weaknesses become too great

Severson can run a PP well, as can Vatanen if need be and Smith is expected to be that as well

You might not think much of it but they're not going to throw away Butcher the second something better comes along because it would send a message to college FA that they're just tools to us and nothing more. You don't want that reputation as a gm.

The only way I see him getting moved is if it's the last piece to get us to being a cup contender.

Reactions: mdj12784

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
What do yall think is going on with our defense this off-season?

We already have Vatanen Severson Greene Santini Smith signed, may bring back Butcher and Mueller.

Do we add a defenseman? Via trade or FA? Do we just re-sign our guys and roll with that?

Id like your thoughts guys because I think these questions make or break next season - defense has to be our priority after winning the draft lottery

There is a very good chance we add a big defenseman via trade. I’m thinking either Subban or Trouba.

The more I think about it, the more I think Butcher gets traded perhaps as part of a deal for one of the aforementioned. If not Butcher, Vatanen.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Second amongst defenseman in points :huh:
Great, points points points. If not for the powerplay how many does he have? He sucks at skating and isnt that good defensively

Id much rather move him qnd acquire another top-4dman and re-sign Mueller.

Xxxx-Severson
Mueller-Vatanen
Smith-Greene/xxx/Santini
Greene/Santini/xxx

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Even If we keep Butcher I still want to acquire a dman

Xxx-Severson
Butcher-Vatanen (yikes on this pair)
Smith-Mueller
Greene

Last edited by a moderator:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Great, points points points. If not for the powerplay how many does he have? He sucks at skating and isnt that good defensively

Xxxx-Severson
Mueller-Vatanen
Smith-Greene/xxx/Santini
Greene/Santini/xxx
16 points without PP, 3rd behind severson and Greene

Sevo and Greene have 27 and 23 nonPP points. You are correct though, butcher sees the most PP toi/gp

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Xxxx-Severson
Mueller-Vatanen
Smith-Greene/xxx/Santini
Greene/Santini/xxx
Yes let’s roll out mueller in a top 4 roll for a guy who has played 81 games combined in the last 2 years, whose going to replace butchers production? A free agent ? A trade?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I mean it was tough year for everyone. Butcher still had 30 points and went through a bit of a sophomore slump. It's not unheard of.

Don't forget that this guy has 74 points combined in his first two years in the NHL.

He's valuable to us. He'll be back.
Hes a PURE ppqb who is our worst skater on the back end but people want playing 20+ minutes. If hes playing 3rd pair EV minutes then fine, keep him. But hes not a good enough defender nor skater to be playing top-4 EV minutes

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He’s played an average 40 games over the last two years for us, certainly deserves top 4 minutes
Some of that was because of injuries.

I'm okay with moving on if we can find someone that's a clear upgrade. If we can acquire a top-4 (preferably a top-2) defenseman and we jettison him, that's fine. I don't care. If we're jettisoning him so we can keep Carrick and or play Santini, f*** that to hell.

And I know someone will point out handedness, but we've seen this staff play guys on their off-side at times.

At the end of the day, he's just a third pairing guy and so is Carrick. Santini is a fourth pairing guy, if you ask me.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He’s played an average 40 games over the last two years for us, certainly deserves top 4 minutes
So if a player plays well in limited time - they dont deserve more.... because they were already playing limited time?

How the hell is any defenseman supposed to prove themselves with that mentality?

On top of that, its simply wrong to think Mueller has been poor in the time hes had. Defensively he has been practically the best minus Lovejoy’s insane PKing last year and Greenems blocked shots

ATOI 18 and he spent plenty of games playing well over 19+. Without Hynes pulling him every other game for rotation of guys (since the season was shit), hed have been playing 19+ every game. Not to mention he played around 19+ average for the first 20 games and then shit hit the fan so it was a combination of rotations and Hynes being Hynes, plus injuries

He most certainly can be a #4 IMO and has been when given the chance - yet each time an injury arrives or the team plummets and Hynes starts trying everything

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
And Im curious - who are we putting on the 2nd pair LD if its not Mueller? What if Smith isnt ready for top-4? Greene in the top-4 again? Butcher gets eaten up defensively.

Upgrade the top pair, let Mueller prove he can play that #4 defensive dman with good skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad