Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Callahan is a 4th liner at best these days. And I'm not even sure if he's a good one of those.

At the very most, he might be better than the current Drew Stafford, but he's not much better and might not even be better by next year.

He's probably better than a guy like Kevin Rooney.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
When you think about acquiring Callahan you have to look at the package Carolina got for acquiring Bickell. The return would have to be similar.

Carolina got Teravainen as compensation basically. So if we’re acquiring Callahan we should also be getting someone like Raddysh, Joseph or Cirelli. Maybe even a d-man like Erik Cernak, and that would be my preference. Cernak is going to be so good. An absolute beast.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
When you think about acquiring Callahan you have to look at the package Carolina got for acquiring Bickell. The return would have to be similar.

Carolina got Teravainen as compensation basically. So if we’re acquiring Callahan we should also be getting someone like Raddysh, Joseph or Cirelli. Maybe even a d-man like Erik Cernak, and that would be my preference. Cernak is going to be so good. An absolute beast.

Remember that Carolina gave up a 2nd and. 3rd in that deal. It wasn’t like he came for free. I still think it was a great move, but certainly others here have disagreed.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would just absolutely love Artemi Panarin, Ryan Callahan, and Cam Fowler on this team.

Sign Artemi Panarin 7 years 73.5 million. 10.5 million AAV.
Trade McLeod + 2020 1st round pick + Quenneville + Mueller to Anaheim for Cam Fowler.
Trade 2019 34th overall pick to Tampa Bay for Callahan + 2019 27th overall pick + 2020 2nd round pick.

2019-20 LINEUP

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Panarin - Hughes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Coleman
Wood - Rooney - Callahan

Fowler - Severson
Smith - Vatanen
Greene - Butcher

Schneider
Blackwood

Scratches: Agostino, Boqvist, Santini
Minors: Davies, Anderson, Carrick, Seney, Bastian, Gabriel
Let go: Noesen, Stafford, Yaklovev

I don't see why the Lightning have to pay that much to get rid of one year of Callahan.

In all honesty, I'd rather just re-sign Noesen then have Callahan because we're not going to get that type of deal for him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Remember that Carolina gave up a 2nd and. 3rd in that deal. It wasn’t like he came for free. I still think it was a great move, but certainly others here have disagreed.

He’s definitely coming into his own but remember he isn’t even 6ft tall :sarcasm:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't see why the Lightning have to pay that much to get rid of one year of Callahan.

In all honesty, I'd rather just re-sign Noesen then have Callahan because we're not going to get that type of deal for him.

Not to be that guy... but you are right 100%. They won’t have to give up the 1st. If anything it will be an underused player that we would be taking a chance on, not a vet like TJ or Killorn. I would t be surprised to see a Tampa shake up this offseason but it won’t be by giving players and picks away.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Callahan is a 4th liner at best these days. And I'm not even sure if he's a good one of those.

At the very most, he might be better than the current Drew Stafford, but he's not much better and might not even be better by next year.

He's probably better than a guy like Kevin Rooney.
The main point of acquiring Callahan isn't to have him on our team, it is to get an asset in return.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The main point of acquiring Callahan isn't to have him on our team, it is to get an asset in return.

how much do you think tampa would give us for 1 year of some cap relief? we would probably get a 4th round pick, is it worth it?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
how much do you think tampa would give us for 1 year of some cap relief? we would probably get a 4th round pick, is it worth it?
More than 4th for sure. Callahan is probably worth half his annual contract, if not probably closer to 40%. Cap space is valuable.

If they need to free up cap space and want to get rid of him and someone like Palat I would do it. Palat had a down season on the sure on the surface. But his ice time was down significantly. I'd be curious what he could do on a team where he gets a top 6 opportunity consistently and 2nd unit PP time. His EV P/60 is comparable to past years and he has historically been a strong defensive player. He does have 4 years at $5.3 million left, but I think he could be a sneaky good buy low candidate.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
No but I think they just might based on what happened. I also think any trade for Cally has him moving on to another contender or home near Buffalo. I think it's how Ray will use his cap to improve the team.
Agreed, he may not be a realistic target, but certainly using our cap space to acquire assets is a direction I think Ray should go.

Reactions: Smitty426

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
More than 4th for sure. Callahan is probably worth half his annual contract, if not probably closer to 40%. Cap space is valuable.

If they need to free up cap space and want to get rid of him and someone like Palat I would do it. Palat had a down season on the sure on the surface. But his ice time was down significantly. I'd be curious what he could do on a team where he gets a top 6 opportunity consistently and 2nd unit PP time. His EV P/60 is comparable to past years and he has historically been a strong defensive player. He does have 4 years at $5.3 million left, but I think he could be a sneaky good buy low candidate.
I agree but it seems like quite a few posters here do not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cap space has no use if you’re not spending anywhere near the cap anyway. Especially if you’re only taking on a one year deal. For a team like Tampa it’s a different story, they’d gladly pay a price to get $6 million in cap space for next year.

Reactions: Blackjack

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

callahan sucks, i actually think you’re being too generous by saying 40%. but the question is, does tampa bay have to move salary this offseason? stralman, girardi and coburn are coming off the books, so that’s like $11M right there.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
callahan sucks, i actually think you’re being too generous by saying 40%. but the question is, does tampa bay have to move salary this offseason? stralman, girardi and coburn are coming off the books, so that’s like $11M right there.

Brayden Point will cost about $10M alone. Then they have to replace those players that left. And that will also take up cap space.

So does everybody like my Panarin, Fowler, and Callahan additions?

Remember, when we traded for Marc Savard and received a 2nd round pick for doing so, his salary was only 550K for the final season. As opposed to Callahan, who’s salary is 4.7M. But the difference is that Callahan can actually play in a bottom 6 role. Savard was essentially retired.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
They may with Kucherov's and McDonough's extensions taking place next year and Point getting likely over $9 million. They are losing a lot of pieces on the back end, but they are going to have to replace them. Currently have about $10 million in cap space with projected new cap w/o Point. The following season they will have quite a cap crunch as well, so that could potentially have implications on their mindset pertaining to clearing long-term contracts.

Also, I think your right about Callahan, I understated is annual AAV in my mind.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I would just absolutely love Artemi Panarin, Ryan Callahan, and Cam Fowler on this team.

Sign Artemi Panarin 7 years 73.5 million. 10.5 million AAV.
Trade McLeod + 2020 1st round pick + Quenneville + Mueller to Anaheim for Cam Fowler.
Trade 2019 34th overall pick to Tampa Bay for Callahan + 2019 27th overall pick + 2020 2nd round pick.

Bolded: Anaheim laughs and hangs up.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Brayden Point will cost about $10M alone. Then they have to replace those players that left. And that will also take up cap space.

So does everybody like my Panarin, Fowler, and Callahan additions?

Remember, when we traded for Marc Savard and received a 2nd round pick for doing so, his salary was only 550K for the final season. As opposed to Callahan, who’s salary is 4.7M. But the difference is that Callahan can actually play in a bottom 6 role. Savard was essentially retired.

They may with Kucherov's and McDonough's extensions taking place next year and Point getting likely over $9 million. They are losing a lot of pieces on the back end, but they are going to have to replace them. Currently have about $10 million in cap space with projected new cap w/o Point. The following season they will have quite a cap crunch as well, so that could potentially have implications on their mindset pertaining to clearing long-term contracts.

Also, I think your right about Callahan, I understated is annual AAV in my mind.

can’t they just waive callahan? or give up a 4th to trade him? i just don’t see them shipping out a prospect or high pick. but if they are willing to do that, then yeah we should be all over that. this is really the last year to do that kind of thing before we have to open our wallet

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

They have significant extentions for Kucherov and Gourde kicking in next year.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
can’t they just waive callahan? or give up a 4th to trade him? i just don’t see them shipping out a prospect or high pick. but if they are willing to do that, then yeah we should be all over that. this is really the last year to do that kind of thing before we have to open our wallet
If they send him down to the minors they only get about $925k cap relief. Still on the hook for the remaining $4.9 million. Nobody will only take a 4th for him, that is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad