Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Here is the team in CapFriendly.

Sign Panarin - Trade for Fowler - Trade for Callahan - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The trade for Fowler included Patrick Eaves. This would give Anaheim salary cap relief - further ambition for them to complete the trade.

The trade for Callahan was: Tampa 27th overall and 2020 2nd rounder in exchange for Boston's 2019 2nd + 2020 4th (the return in the Johansson trade).

Panarin signed at 10.5 million AAV.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If they send him down to the minors they only get about $925k cap relief. Still on the hook for the remaining $4.9 million. Nobody will only take a 4th for him, that is not enough.

Buying him out could save 1/3 but that’s it.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I would just absolutely love Artemi Panarin, Ryan Callahan, and Cam Fowler on this team.

Sign Artemi Panarin 7 years 73.5 million. 10.5 million AAV.
Trade McLeod + 2020 1st round pick + Quenneville + Mueller to Anaheim for Cam Fowler.
Trade 2019 34th overall pick to Tampa Bay for Callahan + 2019 27th overall pick + 2020 2nd round pick.

2019-20 LINEUP

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Panarin - Hughes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Coleman
Wood - Rooney - Callahan

Fowler - Severson
Smith - Vatanen
Greene - Butcher

Schneider
Blackwood

Scratches: Agostino, Boqvist, Santini
Minors: Davies, Anderson, Carrick, Seney, Bastian, Gabriel
Let go: Noesen, Stafford, Yaklovev
what @None Shall Pass said, there's no way this trade would go through. they can't afford to get rid of fowler, and have no D prospects

Reactions: Darkauron

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Here is the team in CapFriendly.

Sign Panarin - Trade for Fowler - Trade for Callahan - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The trade for Fowler included Patrick Eaves. This would give Anaheim salary cap relief - further ambition for them to complete the trade.

The trade for Callahan was: Tampa 27th overall and 2020 2nd rounder in exchange for Boston's 2019 2nd + 2020 4th (the return in the Johansson trade).

Panarin signed at 10.5 million AAV.

I love the enthusiasm, but this isn't remotely realistic.

Anaheim would probably want players more suited to help now (cheap too.. Wood comes to mind) rather than a collection of prospects that are further away. They'd probably like McLeod, but Mueller doesn't do much for them, and Quenneville sucks.

I also don't think Tampa will be in the business of paying to dump cap, especially with only a year remaining on Callahan's deal. They'll likely move Johnson and/or Miller and net futures, instead of purging them.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Wild fans don't seem too keen on trading Brodin, but there's certainly a disconnect between what the fans want and what the GM does.

We'd probably have to include Wood in that deal, too.
Is Brodin really a top pair dman though? Seems Minnesota has been lowering his minutes since his rookie year

Edit: this could be because of Dumba now that I think of it

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Is Brodin really a top pair dman though? Seems Minnesota has been lowering his minutes since his rookie year

Edit: this could be because of Dumba now that I think of it
upload_2019-4-19_14-33-32.png

This is from corsica, with TOI from all situations. for 5v5, he's close to spurgeon

right now he's 2nd pairing, but his rel CF% isn't that good. HOWEVER, brodin and pateryn have the highest DZS% on the team (~41%), while suter and spurgeon are getting ~31% DZS%.

it's so much fun to play around with this Corsica | Skater Stats

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't think Brodin is a top pairing defenseman. Top 4 for sure though.
then is he really someone we should be targeting? We need top pair guys not more 2nd pair players when we already have three of them (I think Severson can be an offensive #3 who can play top pair minutes, with the right linemate)

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
I don't think Brodin is a top pairing defenseman. Top 4 for sure though.

Brodin's value to his team is reminiscent of Vatanen's. Top-4 guy, maybe could be something more with more minutes, but not someone you build a defense around. Still, Devils can't be picky here and I would make that move if Minnesota wants to continue ruffling feathers this offseason. Using Henrique trade as a base, that'd be Coleman, Quenneville, 2020 2nd for Brodin. Alternatively if they try a rebuild, maybe we can do McLeod, 2019 2nd, 2019 3rd and Mueller instead

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What does contending next year mean in your mind? Thanks
If I may...
A contender is a lock to make playoffs and can have a realistic chance of winning any playoff series in their division.

That's my definition....

But I have always believed that winning a cup has to have some luck in it...matchups, peaking at the right time, no key injuries....lots of little things can make a good fail to reach the pinnacle. I personally think contenders are most vulnerable in the first round... before they build momentum. Ask Tampa.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Assuming no trades and UFA pickups, this would be a cool line-up to see. Also assumes that both Boqvist and Zetterlund can transition to NA well.

Hall-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Hischier-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Zetterlund/Bastian
Wood-Zacha-Bastian/Zetterlund

It's your more modern version of the traditional two scoring lines and two checking line setup.

The biggest stretch would obviously be the two Swedes coming in and both making the team, but I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility. Boqvist surely has a greater chance, but I think Zetterlund could be a darkhorse with the team being thinner at RW.

Zetterlund is obviously a mature player to have played with pros the last couple seasons in Sweden. Sure he could benefit from AHL time, but overall think he's got better size, strength and a shot that is better than other options like Anderson or McLeod. His SHL numbers aren't great, but it was injury ridden. Also, would have to give him a mulligan on his WJC, but I think he has a decent shot to make the team, mostly due to position scarcity, pro experience, and would make us a little stronger and adds a guy with a shooter's mentality.

This would obviously only occur if the offseason is an absolute disaster or Shero/Fitz/Hynes have absolute confidence these guys can be effective in the NHL.

I really love the thought of Bastian on the wing of Zacha and Wood. They've shown to have good chemistry when they play with a bigger player, like them, with softer hands (Maroon and Stafford). Bastian has some very underrated hands, and showed some promise in his limited stint.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Brodin's value to his team is reminiscent of Vatanen's. Top-4 guy, maybe could be something more with more minutes, but not someone you build a defense around. Still, Devils can't be picky here and I would make that move if Minnesota wants to continue ruffling feathers this offseason. Using Henrique trade as a base, that'd be Coleman, Quenneville, 2020 2nd for Brodin. Alternatively if they try a rebuild, maybe we can do McLeod, 2019 2nd, 2019 3rd and Mueller instead
I think Minny would ask for Joey Anderson. Try and get the local guy.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Assuming no trades and UFA pickups, this would be a cool line-up to see. Also assumes that both Boqvist and Zetterlund can transition to NA well.

Hall-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Hischier-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Zetterlund/Bastian
Wood-Zacha-Bastian/Zetterlund

It's your more modern version of the traditional two scoring lines and two checking line setup.

The biggest stretch would obviously be the two Swedes coming in and both making the team, but I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility. Boqvist surely has a greater chance, but I think Zetterlund could be a darkhorse with the team being thinner at RW.

Zetterlund is obviously a mature player to have played with pros the last couple seasons in Sweden. Sure he could benefit from AHL time, but overall think he's got better size, strength and a shot that is better than other options like Anderson or McLeod. His SHL numbers aren't great, but it was injury ridden. Also, would have to give him a mulligan on his WJC, but I think he has a decent shot to make the team, mostly due to position scarcity, pro experience, and would make us a little stronger and adds a guy with a shooter's mentality.

This would obviously only occur if the offseason is an absolute disaster or Shero/Fitz/Hynes have absolute confidence these guys can be effective in the NHL.

I really love the thought of Bastian on the wing of Zacha and Wood. They've shown to have good chemistry when they play with a bigger player, like them, with softer hands (Maroon and Stafford). Bastian has some very underrated hands, and showed some promise in his limited stint.
Got to think Shero goes trying to add some big pieces to this team. I'd think he adds a top 6 winger via free agency and possibly a Dman via trade but that one might be challenging.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If I may...
A contender is a lock to make playoffs and can have a realistic chance of winning any playoff series in their division.

That's my definition....

But I have always believed that winning a cup has to have some luck in it...matchups, peaking at the right time, no key injuries....lots of little things can make a good fail to reach the pinnacle. I personally think contenders are most vulnerable in the first round... before they build momentum. Ask Tampa.

Based on your definition of a contender I don't believe the Devils will be a contender next season or the year after. They need too much additional talent.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It would be a travesty if Zacha was on the 4th line after the finish he had.

In Zacha's last 30 games he had 20 points. That is a 55 point pace. He only played 61 games this season He steadily got better after the new year and in his last 20 games he had 14 points.

I think Zacha deserves an opportunity to build on that.

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
If I may...

That's my definition....

It would be a travesty if Zacha was on the 4th line after the finish he had.

In Zacha's last 30 games he had 20 points. That is a 55 point pace. He only played 61 games this season He steadily got better after the new year and in his last 20 games he had 14 points.

I think Zacha deserve an opportunity to build on that.

Agreed with all this, and barring any other major acquisitions aside from Hughes, I think this team is still a step below that. If they make the playoffs, it will likely be a lower seed, and they probably won't be favored in any series. Doesn't mean they couldn't accomplish something, but it's unlikely.

We've got a lot of inexperience and not a lot of top end talent on defense. Severson, Vatanen, Butcher, Mueller, are all 2's, 3's, and 4's. Smith has potential, even more so than Severson did, but I don't think you can count on a rookie stepping in to the top pairing either. The team is missing a #1 D and I don't see a realistic option for adding that this offseason.

The forwards could be absolutely stacked in a couple years if Hall re-signs and most of the Under 23's continue their upward trajectory. This time two years ago if people had been talking about Zacha on the 4th line, that would probably mean the Devils were in very rough shape. Maybe not so much now. Things can change fast. I think Zacha will likely be paired with Hughes to try and insulate him a bit to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad