Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
p zacha.. can't play 4t line minutes

It would be a travesty if Zacha was on the 4th line after the finish he had.

In Zacha's last 30 games he had 20 points. That is a 55 point pace. He only played 61 games this season He steadily got better after the new year and in his last 20 games he had 14 points.

I think Zacha deserves an opportunity to build on that.

Wouldn't necessarily say that's the fourth line. I mean, unless Zacha or Hughes are playing wing next season, it's unlikely Zacha is getting true top-six minutes at ES. I would view Wood-Zacha-RW as more of third line, assuming that Hughes is in the top-six at center.

I agree that with Zacha's finish to the season, he deserves a fair shake at wing or center with other highly skilled and high IQ players like Bratt/Nico/Hall/Hughes.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
then is he really someone we should be targeting? We need top pair guys not more 2nd pair players when we already have three of them (I think Severson can be an offensive #3 who can play top pair minutes, with the right linemate)
After listening to Shero discussing "D" at the presser he had with Harris when he got his extension, I did not get the impression he thought a true #1 Dman was necessary to win. Everyone can interpret his answer differently but he did not sound like someone willing to go "all in" for a #1 to me. I think the posters discussing DMen that could potentially be traded for 2nd round picks and roster players are probably more realistic about what the Devils may acquire this off season.

Camille the Eel

After listening to Shero discussing "D" at the presser he had with Harris when he got his extension, I did not get the impression he thought a true #1 Dman was necessary to win. Everyone can interpret his answer differently but he did not sound like someone willing to go "all in" for a #1 to me. I think the posters discussing DMen that could potentially be traded for 2nd round picks and roster players are probably more realistic about what the Devils may acquire this off season.
That would be perfectly consistent with how he approached building his defense while in Pittsburgh. Where he consistently backfilled with whoever was available. Letang may be about the best he ever had there as far as a standout, as far as I remember anyway, though fans of that team will know more. And Pittsburgh has continued to take that approach to their defense during the post-Shero transition and after he was gone. The league is filled with guys playing elsewhere who won cups as a defenseman at Pitt. Ian Cole tonight with Colorado. Lovejoy who was here. Justin Schultz who's with Dallas tonight . . . I'm sure you could generate a list with half a dozen other names. Orpik and his sidekick in Washington also come to mind.

This is going to be a most interesting off season to watch - beginning with what happens as to resigning Hall. That is the immediate negotiation from which a few other decisions presumably flow. I really want him here long term. (Presuming he's healthy after missing half of the season or more). But if he's not going to be here long term, I also figure that he could bring you a pretty nice package from another team with whom he was willing to sign long term, including perhaps defensemen.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well I said a top pair defenseman, we most likely arent getting a 1D unless we sign Karlsson

Finding a #2 via trade shouldnt be too too difficult if Shero is willing to pay

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If I may...
A contender is a lock to make playoffs and can have a realistic chance of winning any playoff series in their division.

That's my definition....

But I have always believed that winning a cup has to have some luck in it...matchups, peaking at the right time, no key injuries....lots of little things can make a good fail to reach the pinnacle. I personally think contenders are most vulnerable in the first round... before they build momentum. Ask Tampa.

Vegas this year is the last part of your post IMO

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Assuming no trades and UFA pickups, this would be a cool line-up to see. Also assumes that both Boqvist and Zetterlund can transition to NA well.

Hall-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Hischier-Bratt
Coleman-Zajac-Zetterlund/Bastian
Wood-Zacha-Bastian/Zetterlund

It's your more modern version of the traditional two scoring lines and two checking line setup.

The biggest stretch would obviously be the two Swedes coming in and both making the team, but I do not think it's out of the realm of possibility. Boqvist surely has a greater chance, but I think Zetterlund could be a darkhorse with the team being thinner at RW.

Zetterlund is obviously a mature player to have played with pros the last couple seasons in Sweden. Sure he could benefit from AHL time, but overall think he's got better size, strength and a shot that is better than other options like Anderson or McLeod. His SHL numbers aren't great, but it was injury ridden. Also, would have to give him a mulligan on his WJC, but I think he has a decent shot to make the team, mostly due to position scarcity, pro experience, and would make us a little stronger and adds a guy with a shooter's mentality.

This would obviously only occur if the offseason is an absolute disaster or Shero/Fitz/Hynes have absolute confidence these guys can be effective in the NHL.

I really love the thought of Bastian on the wing of Zacha and Wood. They've shown to have good chemistry when they play with a bigger player, like them, with softer hands (Maroon and Stafford). Bastian has some very underrated hands, and showed some promise in his limited stint.

if that’s our lineup next year, STI may as well start posting a Lafrenier draft profile right now

Reactions: Bet the Over

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
That would be perfectly consistent with how he approached building his defense while in Pittsburgh. Where he consistently backfilled with whoever was available. Letang may be about the best he ever had there as far as a standout, as far as I remember anyway, though fans of that team will know more. And Pittsburgh has continued to take that approach to their defense during the post-Shero transition and after he was gone. The league is filled with guys playing elsewhere who won cups as a defenseman at Pitt. Ian Cole tonight with Colorado. Lovejoy who was here. Justin Schultz who's with Dallas tonight . . . I'm sure you could generate a list with half a dozen other names. Orpik and his sidekick in Washington also come to mind.

This is going to be a most interesting off season to watch - beginning with what happens as to resigning Hall. That is the immediate negotiation from which a few other decisions presumably flow. I really want him here long term. (Presuming he's healthy after missing half of the season or more). But if he's not going to be here long term, I also figure that he could bring you a pretty nice package from another team with whom he was willing to sign long term, including perhaps defensemen.

Shero also inherited Letang. His track record on defense was a concerning point when he was hired here. Outside of trades and free agent signings, some of those defenses in Pittsburgh were not built with much priority and it exposed those teams more often than not when it mattered most, teams that should have had more success. Coming to an organization that was built on, and had success on sound defensive personnel and from a system stand point, it would be nice to see some of that carried along with Shero's approach to building a team. We'll have to see what takes place, but it would be nice to see an adjustment on his philosophies on building defense here compared to Pittsburgh.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
if that’s our lineup next year, STI may as well start posting a Lafrenier draft profile right now

If that lineup stayed healthy and got solid goaltending I would disagree with you. It wouldn’t contend for the cup but depending upon how the defense played it could contend for the playoffs. Just switch Boquist and Zacha around.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

In Zacha's last 30 games he had 20 points. That is a 55 point pace. He only played 61 games this season He steadily got better after the new year and in his last 20 games he had 14 points.

It would be terrible mismanagement.

Even if you disregard his scoring pace in his last 30 games (which is what people have been begging for, right?), he’s finally saying the right things to supplement his on-ice growth.

His comment on break-up day that he’s feeling about himself, and that he realizes he needs to “not play scared and just do it” (his words), speaks volumes. He’s turning a corner mentally, too.

That needs to be rewarded with every opportunity to stick in the top-6 and grow with our other top forward talents.

At worst — let’s say Shero acquires/signs a clear upgrade for the top-6 — he has to be with Coleman and Zajac. The 4th line talk is garbage.

Reactions: Winds Hockey

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I love the enthusiasm, but this isn't remotely realistic.

Anaheim would probably want players more suited to help now (cheap too.. Wood comes to mind) rather than a collection of prospects that are further away. They'd probably like McLeod, but Mueller doesn't do much for them, and Quenneville sucks.

I also don't think Tampa will be in the business of paying to dump cap, especially with only a year remaining on Callahan's deal. They'll likely move Johnson and/or Miller and net futures, instead of purging them.

You think Anaheim is still trying to win now? I believe they are looking towards the future, and with Lindholm young enough to stick around for the rebuild/retool I think Fowler could be had. And this package of futures includes a 1st round pick as well as a very good prospect in McLeod. Is he an A prospect? No but he is a solid B prospect with a high floor as a bottom six forward, and ceiling of a 2nd line center.

I agree about Tampa. It totally depends on if they're desperate to get rid of Callahan's contract or not.

Wild fans don't seem too keen on trading Brodin, but there's certainly a disconnect between what the fans want and what the GM does.

We'd probably have to include Wood in that deal, too.

If Brodin can't be had at somewhat of a discount (See the Niederreiter and Coyle moves), then I'd rather try for a bigger fish. I'm not so high on Brodin, but I would gladly accept him if what we had to give up didn't hurt too badly.

If I may...
A contender is a lock to make playoffs and can have a realistic chance of winning any playoff series in their division.

That's my definition....

But I have always believed that winning a cup has to have some luck in it...matchups, peaking at the right time, no key injuries....lots of little things can make a good fail to reach the pinnacle. I personally think contenders are most vulnerable in the first round... before they build momentum. Ask Tampa.

Great post. I agree with all points. Especially with the fact that the first round is when a contender is most vulnerable, that's so true. Luck is very much a factor, but the deeper your team is, and the more elite players you have, obviously the better. It will help lessen the blow of a loss like TJ Oshie last night for Washington. This is why drafting is so important and having young cheap players on ELCs that you can insert into the lineup is so important.

Got to think Shero goes trying to add some big pieces to this team. I'd think he adds a top 6 winger via free agency and possibly a Dman via trade but that one might be challenging.

I think Shero 1000000% adds a top 6/9 free agent forward, doesn't have to necessarily be a winger. I can see Shero having interest in Kevin Hayes. With the Fitzgerald Boston connection and considering the Jimmy Hayes signing worked out tremendously.

I don't think Shero feels the immediate need to add an impact defenseman like we do. If the right deal comes around he will 100% pull the trigger, but he won't force something.

Ideally, I'd like to see Zacha start out at the 3C position. I would be ok with him at 2C and Hughes on his LW. Or vice versa. I would also be ok with him at 3LW, with Zajac and Coleman on his line.

Shero also inherited Letang. His track record on defense was a concerning point when he was hired here. Outside of trades and free agent signings, some of those defenses in Pittsburgh were not built with much priority and it exposed those teams more often than not when it mattered most, teams that should have had more success. Coming to an organization that was built on, and had success on sound defensive personnel and from a system stand point, it would be nice to see some of that carried along with Shero's approach to building a team. We'll have to see what takes place, but it would be nice to see an adjustment on his philosophies on building defense here compared to Pittsburgh.

Shero was lucky to have two top 10 centers in the history of the NHL in their primes. I think he understands he doesn't have that here (Although Hischier/Hughes is going to be pretty damn good in for a solid 10 years). The Vatanen trade to me is him recognizing that impact defensemen are very important. And even since the Vatanen trade, he has been on record saying "Yeah I'd love to add a defenseman." I don't think he means bottom pairing either. He means a true top 4 guy. But again, he's not going to force it.

is james neal a contract we'd want to touch? potential 2LW, and take him at 50%? or is that too insane

I wouldn't touch it unless it came with a serious bonus, which it definitely won't. So no.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Teams with weak defenses are usually the exception and not the norm.

Pittsburgh has/had two of the top three centers in the world so it's easier to make do with a makeshift defensive group. Even still they had Letang who was a PPG defender in his best days.

Vegas has a ridiculous top two lines. Schmidt and Theodore are also two very underrated defenders who are both better than anything the Devils have.

You don't necessarily need a Chara or Doughty or Keith to win. It sure helps, but you need at least one legitimate top pairing defender and at worst two low-end first pairing guys. Devils don't have any of those right now; Vatanen and Severson are very weak as far as all-situations first pairing defenders go.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If that lineup stayed healthy and got solid goaltending I would disagree with you. It wouldn’t contend for the cup but depending upon how the defense played it could contend for the playoffs. Just switch Boquist and Zacha around.

we would finish dead last in our division. you’re asking way too much from boqvist, zetterlund and bastian. and hughes for that matter. not only would we finish last, but we run the risk of stunting the development of a lot our best prospects in the process. we need to dip into FA or explore moving some surplus picks for a an established winger

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
we would finish dead last in our division. you’re asking way too much from boqvist, zetterlund and bastian. and hughes for that matter. not only would we finish last, but we run the risk of stunting the development of a lot our best prospects in the process. we need to dip into FA or explore moving some surplus picks for a an established winger

Is that lineup worse than the one that made the playoffs? I’d be in favor of dipping into the UFA pool seriously if Hall extends. If not I’m not in favor of signing second tier guys to deals that tie up expansion slots.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

What exposed the Penguins were terrible performances by Fleury in the playoffs. Shero got one pick in the top 10 as Penguins GM. He made some terrible trades along the way for Pittsburgh, but blanket blaming things on 'the defense' seems fallacious - the Penguins were usually middle of the pack on defense, and it's very rare to be able to be near the top of the league in both offense and defense.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, there’s zero chance Zetterlund is on the team this year. And why would he be jumping a guy like Joey Anderson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->