Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) in limbo part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
By default, this is Devils news: LeBrun: Summer options for 7 teams not taking part in NHL's...

But that was every single team affected the same way. Now you’ve got seven teams, Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa at a clear disadvantage when the other 24 teams might get to play some meaningful games this summer.
So what do you do if you’re those seven teams? One idea that’s popped up is holding a mini camp of sorts in the middle of it all.
To that end, some of those seven teams, sources confirm, have already begun talking internally about what an NHL camp might look like at some point later in the summer or early fall. You get the logic. These players might need that in the middle of a 10-month hiatus.
Now of course both the NHL and NHL Players’ Association would have to sign off on a camp for those teams. The league has more pressing matters right now with Return to Play but a source told me Monday that the league’s early inclination would be to allow teams to go this route if they want (as long as the NHLPA signs off on it). But again to be fair, the league isn’t even close to ruling officially on it, too many other things to figure out with Return to Play before the league can turn its attention to this idea.
Senators GM Pierre Dorion last week during a Zoom call with his local media perhaps hinted at it.
“We have to accept the way it is and the world is a changing world,” Dorion said. “We know 24 teams will have a certain advantage of playing before we will ever get a chance to play. I’m sure the NHL will look at it and will look into the matter and will look at what can be done and we are very confident that a plausible solution will be had for the seven teams that aren’t playing.”
This is really going to come down to what the NHLPA thinks.
And that’s where it might get sticky. Maybe players feel they can hold informal skates on their own like any offseason and don’t need the full boot camp run by the team. One NHL player from those seven teams I texted with Tuesday suggested his first inclination is to take part in a serious skate with other players, like he would for any offseason, rather than a formal NHL camp. At the very least, the player added, he would want any NHL camp in this circumstance to be voluntary and not mandated.
Another player, New Jersey Devils goaltender Cory Schneider, is one of the team’s player reps. He would only speak for himself and not any other player, but the idea appealed to him.
“Personally, I wouldn’t mind getting on the ice in a structured setting at some point before next year’s training camp,” Schneider said via text Tuesday.
So where the NHLPA eventually falls on this will be intriguing.
Some of these teams may want to hold the camp while the 24-team tournament is going on this summer, others I’m told may wait until September. But either way, the idea is to get their teams back together for two or three weeks, if permitted.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry to hear things have not been going well. With the draft not happening for a while, unless the Devils hire a new coach/GM there will not be much to discuss.
Thanks.

And I’m just living for hockey to start back. Don’t really care anymore that our season is done.

I’m hoping to see some hockey by August 1st or best case scenario late July, but I figure that it will be at least a month after the announcement and schedule is released before we see a training camp.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Honestly, I don't see the point in having competitive games. Seems like too many obstacles and risks to overcome for a maximum 10 games? You have to worry about too many logistics to do that with travel and god forbid someone gets hurt.

An optional mini-camp could be nice. Depending on how COVID goes for the next few months, a four week refresher camp for the NHL team could help build chemistry and keep guys fresh. Not sure how this would work legally, but it would be cool to see the Devils mix in a prospect camp with an NHL training camp. Maybe have a prospect camp sandwiched in the middle of the training camp and do some intersquad scrimmages?

Definitely should use this as a chemistry or team builder with the long layoff. But a competitive format against other teams just seems pointless.

tjules25

Jun 23, 2017
anybody have any thoughts what next years roster could look like (obvious minus the draft and free agency). what young bucks do u think make the roster and what could our team possibly look like going into next season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
anybody have any thoughts what next years roster could look like (obvious minus the draft and free agency). what young bucks do u think make the roster and what could our team possibly look like going into next season.

I would imagine Ty Smith is going to be on the team next year. If he isn't, its probably a huge failure.

I would think there will be slots for at least 2 young wingers full-time. Whether that is Boqvist, Foote, etc. who knows

They definitely need to target at least 1 winger and at least 1 DMan in free agency. Some names I like are Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli up front and Pietrangelo (pipe dream), Edmundson, Brodie, or Dillon on the backend

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Hard to say without making some assumptions but I think it's likely the following happen:

Acquire or sign at least one defensive defender, for this I will assume Joel Edmundsson
Acquire or sign at least one young defender (23-25), for this I will assume Vince Dunn
Sign a versatile forward for a depth role or top six forward to keep Zacha in a depth role.
Buyout Schneider and replace him with a reliable back-up, for this I will assume Tomas Greiss
Resign Rooney and Mermis to depth roles

Bratt - Hischier - Gusev
Zacha - Hughes - Palmieri
Kuokkanen/Boqvist - Zajac - Anderson
Wood - Rooney - DEPTH
Merkley/Maltsev/Bastian/Seney/McLeod

Dunn - Severson
Bahl/Smith - Subban
Edmundsson - Butcher
Mermis - Carrick

Blackwood
Greiss

I think there's a good chance Wood or Butcher is dealt as well, would make a depth forward acquisition more likely if Wood is dealt. Some other options for that versatile forward there, some way better than others: Soderberg, Haula, Craig Smith, Namestnikov, Janmark, Lewis, Nieto, Leivo. For top six options, Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli, and Granlund are the first names that come to mind.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I would imagine Ty Smith is going to be on the team next year. If he isn't, its probably a huge failure.

I would think there will be slots for at least 2 young wingers full-time. Whether that is Boqvist, Foote, etc. who knows

They definitely need to target at least 1 winger and at least 1 DMan in free agency. Some names I like are Hoffman, Dadonov, Toffoli up front and Pietrangelo (pipe dream), Edmundson, Brodie, or Dillon on the backend

I don’t think it’s fair to presuppose that Smith playing in the AHL to start next season would be a significant setback. Smith can play well but if the team decides starting his pro career playing first pair minutes and running a PP in the NHL will help him adjust better than playing third pair minutes with little PP time or worse playing higher pair minutes when he isn’t ready for it yet I can’t say that’s a bad approach. Smith’s short term fate may hung on Butcher. While much different players they both are puck moving defenders on the smaller side and both project to have a role on the PP. if Butcher continues to need sheltering those are exactly the protected minutes Smith should be playing. No way I’d feed Smith to the wolves to protect Butcher. If Butcher can’t make the full time leap to second pair defender next year I’d look to move him or feed him to the wolves to protect Smith but the team may not be ready to do that.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Given the Devils' current LHD depth chart and given Smith's resume in the CHL, him not being on the team next year would be a HUGE disappointment IMO.

to me a disappointment and a failure are not the same thing. I’d be disappointed if he didn’t play well whenever the next season starts. I wouldn’t consider him a failure.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The fact that we have no top 4 LHD is scary AF right now. Butcher and Mueller are 3rd pairing defenseman at most, Mermis is probably in that category as well despite showing well in his 10 games. We literally don't have a 1st or 2nd pairing LD. If Smith can't make this lineup next year my brain will explode.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The fact that we have no top 4 LHD is scary AF right now. Butcher and Mueller are 3rd pairing defenseman at most, Mermis is probably in that category as well despite showing well in his 10 games. We literally don't have a 1st or 2nd pairing LD. If Smith can't make this lineup next year my brain will explode.

He is still a baby. Asking him to carry this D as a rookie is asking for a bottom 3 finish.

They need to find some experience

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I didn't say he had to carry the D. I said he'll be on the team. And unless something goes horribly wrong, he will be

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

If they somehow sign Dadonov to a reasonable contract, then top6 can look like

Gusev - Hischier - Dadonov
Bratt - Hughes - Palmieri

Gusev and Dadonov played together in the KHL and were very good. They can help Hischier to make the final step to a stardom. Bratt, Hughes and Palmiery line looks pretty solid as well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really don’t want Edmundson here because he’ll wind up getting played top pairing minutes and his contract is probably gonna be a not very good one. He’s like Andy Greene was 3-4 years ago, which was not good enough to be a top pairing guy. I think he’s better than the ancient Greene of the last 2-3 years, but not by much and he’s definitely nowhere near as good as the Andy Greene up to about 2016 or so.

I’d rather sign whatever the Ben Lovejoy equivalent of today is and for Ben Lovejoy money. As long as the Ben Lovejoy equivalent isn’t getting played the minutes Ben Lovejoy was getting in 2016-2017 here.

I’d actually wait to sign Adam Larsson as a UFA in 2021, but he’ll probably get dumb money/contract too because 4th overall.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016

just remember that Smith is a Left shot but primarily has played the right side in junior. He looked lost last camp, and that could have been because he was being pushed to the left side.

I’m just saying that, if you have a guy that could be a horse, you don’t force him to change from what’s made him a horse.

I hope NJ does a camp this summer and they just absolutely crush it with social media content to get fans excited and keep us interested in the team until December. My only qualifier would be that NJ needs to have the new coach in place before that camp.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Given the Devils' current LHD depth chart and given Smith's resume in the CHL, him not being on the team next year would be a HUGE disappointment IMO.

Any other season I could understand this logic but with this wacky offseason, in addition to covid, I think most rookies will struggle. I also feel this could be an issues for free agents as well. (If the preseason is shortened)

Hopefully, the league allows for a mini camp during the tournament. That could help Hughes, Smith and the rest of the young bloods. It would be nice to have a coach by then or the advantage could be lost.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Any other season I could understand this logic but with this wacky offseason, in addition to covid, I think most rookies will struggle. I also feel this could be an issues for free agents as well. (If the preseason is shortened)

Hopefully, the league allows for a mini camp during the tournament. That could help Hughes, Smith and the rest of the young bloods. It would be nice to have a coach by then or the advantage could be lost.
You gotta wonder if free agents look to stay away from crowded area's in the North and look to sign in Southern warmer less congested areas?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
What if he hasn't put on sufficient muscle mass to be able to handle the NHL?

I understand that it would be disappointing, but if he needs more time to develop physically, that has a degree of reasonableness.

I think he makes it but if he spends some time in the minors, I think that is OK as well.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He is still a baby. Asking him to carry this D as a rookie is asking for a bottom 3 finish.

They need to find some experience
I didn't say he needed to carry the defense at all. All I said was if he can't make this team that's a huge issue. We obviously need to address LD via trade or free agency, we've had to have done that for 3-4 years now.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

The depth chart shouldn’t be Smith’s problem. Going from the CHL to the NHL, especially for dman, is a gigantic task. For an undersized rookie, if he’s better off playing 20, 35 or 82 games in the AHL before making the jump to the NHL, I’d be perfectly fine with that.

We can’t force Smith on our roster just because the left side of our blueline is hot garbage at the moment. There will be moves made to solidify that glaring weakness because there’s no way we’re starting the season with Butcher and Mueller as our best options on the left side, none.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
just remember that Smith is a Left shot but primarily has played the right side in junior. He looked lost last camp, and that could have been because he was being pushed to the left side.

I’m just saying that, if you have a guy that could be a horse, you don’t force him to change from what’s made him a horse.

I hope NJ does a camp this summer and they just absolutely crush it with social media content to get fans excited and keep us interested in the team until December. My only qualifier would be that NJ needs to have the new coach in place before that camp.
I wish we could "sticky" this post. The Devils need to put their young players in a position to succeed. If Smith is best on the right, that is where he should play.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Agree in the sense I am not going to look at next year like a normal season. Even this past season, while it was brutal to watch until December 16th IMO, was not that bad with benefit of hindsight since it "ended" early.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really don’t want Edmundson here because he’ll wind up getting played top pairing minutes and his contract is probably gonna be a not very good one. He’s like Andy Greene was 3-4 years ago, which was not good enough to be a top pairing guy. I think he’s better than the ancient Greene of the last 2-3 years, but not by much and he’s definitely nowhere near as good as the Andy Greene up to about 2016 or so.

I’d rather sign whatever the Ben Lovejoy equivalent of today is and for Ben Lovejoy money. As long as the Ben Lovejoy equivalent isn’t getting played the minutes Ben Lovejoy was getting in 2016-2017 here.

I’d actually wait to sign Adam Larsson as a UFA in 2021, but he’ll probably get dumb money/contract too because 4th overall.

At least for me, the hope is that Edmundson (or a similar UFA LD) comes in to take that stop gap for the time being and one of Smith/Bahl eventually supplant him when they're ready. Hopefully we can acquire someone like Dunn who would also try to push Edmundsson down the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad