Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) in limbo part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Given the Devils' current LHD depth chart and given Smith's resume in the CHL, him not being on the team next year would be a HUGE disappointment IMO.

I wouldn't say this, especially with him being undersized and no "steady" partner to shelter him. If he's not on the team by the end of the year, then I would be concerned.

I could see him needing some AHL minutes to get acclimated to the pro game, but it shouldn't be an extended stint. He should be able to dominate the AHL, gain confidence, and return to the NHL quickly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm not certain that the AHL will be coming back next year - if NHL rosters are extended and basically carrying Black Aces around, he'd obviously be one of them.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm not certain that the AHL will be coming back next year - if NHL rosters are extended and basically carrying Black Aces around, he'd obviously be one of them.

Just have each nhl team carry their AHL squad with them all year and have the AHL squad play the AHLsquad from the opposing NHL earlier that day. Or after if it is a day game.

I'd gladly go watch an AHL/NHL doubleheader

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just have each nhl team carry their AHL squad with them all year and have the AHL squad play the AHLsquad from the opposing NHL earlier that day. Or after if it is a day game.

I'd gladly go watch an AHL/NHL doubleheader

sounds good on paper but the logistics would be a nightmare. And $$$$

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
sounds good on paper but the logistics would be a nightmare. And $$$$

Oh yeah definitely. Between transportation (buses & planes), hotels, meals, practice ice time, locker room availability, pru center staff, etc. will all make it too challenging to execute.

But it would be pretty cool if they could pull it off.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I find it highly doubtful the AHL won't be back. Too much invested for NHL teams for them to not play out their seasons.

Worst case scenario, I could see some struggling organizations move to different venues. For example, if Binghamton can't afford no fans, maybe they will play their games in a smaller arena (or even the Devils practice arena) to cut costs as much as possible.

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I find it highly doubtful the AHL won't be back. Too much invested for NHL teams for them to not play out their seasons.

Worst case scenario, I could see some struggling organizations move to different venues. For example, if Binghamton can't afford no fans, maybe they will play their games in a smaller arena (or even the Devils practice arena) to cut costs as much as possible.

Nobody can afford no fans at the AHL level. What else is there? I think there might be some places where the AHL is occasionally on TV, or even often, but there's just no way that that makes up a bulk of revenue for anyone except maybe Toronto.

I imagine teams traveling with 5-10 taxi squad players and the AHL shutting its doors for the season.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The depth chart shouldn’t be Smith’s problem. Going from the CHL to the NHL, especially for dman, is a gigantic task. For an undersized rookie, if he’s better off playing 20, 35 or 82 games in the AHL before making the jump to the NHL, I’d be perfectly fine with that.

We can’t force Smith on our roster just because the left side of our blueline is hot garbage at the moment. There will be moves made to solidify that glaring weakness because there’s no way we’re starting the season with Butcher and Mueller as our best options on the left side, none.
I mean it's been an issue that hasn't been addressed now for a bit...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Again, I never said to "force" Smith onto the roster. He needs to prove that he belongs on the team, of course. However, all I said was I would be disappointed if he cannot do that given the current state of our D corps.

Now, if we make a trade for a legit top 4 DMan and also sign a DMan (as an example), then yes it will be much tougher for him to cut it. But as it stands now, the door is wide open and he needs to run through it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Nobody can afford no fans at the AHL level. What else is there? I think there might be some places where the AHL is occasionally on TV, or even often, but there's just no way that that makes up a bulk of revenue for anyone except maybe Toronto.

I imagine teams traveling with 5-10 taxi squad players and the AHL shutting its doors for the season.

We still have to see how this plays out. Next season likely won't start up again until December of this year. By then, the situation might have changed drastically and fans may be allowed in the building.

There's a lot of avenues they could exhaust. AHL isn't the hottest ticket but channels may be desperate for some programming. If people are home, they might tune in. You could do series where several teams stay in one location, play multiple games a day, and split the cost of the rink. Cuts back on travel and arena costs.

It will be tough, but the NHL needs the AHL around. It will be interesting to keep an eye on how AAA and other minor league baseball teams react. NHL could pick up some cues and see what works from that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
i would watch the ahl on tv

There's likely to be a lack of programming so if you can get anything to fill the gap, maybe networks will offer the AHL just enough to keep them alive. Maybe local NHL team networks pay something for rights too, have double headers with AHL teams playing earlier games?

Just spitballing here, but I think the league will get creative before they shut down. It would be ridiculously hard to come back if the league went dormant for a year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can we just get some hockey back on?

What a miserable 73 days, with no hockey to self-medicate me. And it must be about 85 or so days since hockey went away.

Feels like 6 months already.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We still have to see how this plays out. Next season likely won't start up again until December of this year. By then, the situation might have changed drastically and fans may be allowed in the building.

There's a lot of avenues they could exhaust. AHL isn't the hottest ticket but channels may be desperate for some programming. If people are home, they might tune in. You could do series where several teams stay in one location, play multiple games a day, and split the cost of the rink. Cuts back on travel and arena costs.

It will be tough, but the NHL needs the AHL around. It will be interesting to keep an eye on how AAA and other minor league baseball teams react. NHL could pick up some cues and see what works from that.

If sports are back in their denuded form, no one will be wanting to watch AHL hockey besides lifers. I agree that non-sports channels might be hard up for programming, so we'll see where that goes, and I can imagine a world where fans return but not in full, but still attendance is way down. As things stand now, with teams using hub cities and requiring a lot of testing in order to start up, I cannot see them going forward with an AHL season next season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What I'd love t see is some kind of Top Prospects game/tournament before the draft. Sure they'll be rusty, but I think it may draw more ratings than AHL games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's no way to say this without being flip, nobody even watches the NHL. So yeah while people who post online on a message board probably would watch the AHL, that's about it. Honestly I think that's why they have pay viewing to the extent they do, the only ones into hockey enough to watch it would be willing to pay for it.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There's no way to say this without being flip, nobody even watches the NHL. So yeah while people who post online on a message board probably would watch the AHL, that's about it. Honestly I think that's why they have pay viewing to the extent they do, the only ones into hockey enough to watch it would be willing to pay for it.

Agreed, TV is a business and I don’t think there is much likelihood an AHL contract would be profitable for a TV Network. At least not at the level that would make it financially feasible for the AHL to return.

How many people get the AHL TV package or buy individual games? It has to be super tiny.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think it would be nice if the AHL started before the nhl season. Could give some of our younger players/rookies some good playing time to get into shape and prove their worth before we play. Even better if we can actually watch those games without having to get the shitty AHL package.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

I will never understand how that first goal stood not even a review? I get the challenges weren’t around then but still go upstairs he’s whacking away the whistles gotta blow. That first goal sank them man. If they could’ve got up 1-0 in that game it would’ve been different story

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I will never understand how that first goal stood not even a review? I get the challenges weren’t around then but still go upstairs he’s whacking away the whistles gotta blow. That first goal sank them man. If they could’ve got up 1-0 in that game it would’ve been different story

What are you talking about? Do you remember the entire series? A 1-0 lead in any game in that series usually meant nothing for them. The Rangers weren’t doing nothing in that series against the Kings. They blew multi-goal leads in at least a couple of those games from what I remember, because they got outshot by a ton in most of those games.

2-0 lead in game 1, lost 3-2 in OT and outshot 43-27.

Another 2-0 lead in game 2 and 3-1 and 4-2 leads, lost 5-4 in regulation. Outshot 44-38.

Lost game 3 by a 3-0 shutout.

Won game 4 by a 2-1 score.

Lost game 5 by a 3-2 score in OT. Led that game 2-1 at one point and got outshot 51-30 in almost 95 minutes of play.

They got stomped on by the Kings worse than we did two years before that.

Lundqvist had one of his best playoff series that round and they still lost in 5 games. They had no chance in that series. None.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually, game 2 was also an OT loss.

The Rangers probably should have been lucky enough to win one of those OT games, especially with the Kings probably being die for an OT loss, as I remember their OT record being ridiculous that playoffs.

But the Kings still put a clinic on them that series. Even with Lundqvist standing on his head.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
...in which we wistfully look back and wonder what could have been for the rangers' cup chances
I wanna take the bait, but it’s only been a couple days since I last gave a BleeDD post.

I remember hearing all Spring about how they were the team of destiny and this was their year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad