Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - Season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs86

Nov 4, 2018
Orlando, Florida
Butcher and Zacha, Zacha and Butcher, in it together... How.. WHY??

This board is not usually the place to come to so you can enjoy a joke unless you see a pic of this coaching staff, but this made me laugh out loud.

Really glad to see Zacha’s start this year and progression. Having said that I’m really hoping it’s nothing serious with Nico because this is a big year for him. I was expecting Nico to really cement himself as a true number 1 center.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
For what it’s worth, you shouldn’t count out coaches on other staffs. Unless they’re head coaches, any one of them will ditch their assistant or whatever jobs to be a head coach elsewhere.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Hynes has completely lost the pulse of this team. Keeping him is more damaging then getting rid of him to send a message.

do you think shero even entertained the idea of firing hynes a week ago? of course not. there are stages to this kind of decision, and if you rush one you’ll pay for it later. if he doesn’t have someone in mind- and again, i can’t imagine he’s given it that level of thought after a week- it could be worse in the long run for shero to plug someone in without doing his due diligence first. there are no coaches available that are an upper pedigree (e.g. quenneville, trotz) where it would make sense to rush this

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
They look exactly like last year’s team which had AHL guys filling the lineup for like 40-50 games.

Uou would never know we had roster turnover.

That's what I mean. There's no justifying it. Sure the influx of players needs time to gel but the complete lack of anything resembling a 60 minute effort is mind boggling.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If the young players progress then the season is still a victory to me. This version of the team could maybe grab a playoff spot but is still a work in progress. I think the contends with Nico Hughes and hopefully Zacha Bratt Smith MBW BASTIAN Anderson and others on the way when they hit their primes.

the group of vets in place right now is fair to middling but not a contending core it seems. I’d be happy if Coleman is the grizzled vet who leads the kids and work on drafting the next generation that will join Nico Hughes et al when they are the highly paid core. That will be largely on Castron as I see it.

sure it’s disappointing the team has gotten off to a slow start but they will rebound. I just don’t think this season is as make or break as some appear to see it.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
On the plus side, Zacha is tied with Barzal for points in one less game. Not something you can say very often. Small victories :dunno:

2ODgDbI.gif

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Which is incredibly damning. It's just a hint of adversity and they crumble immediately. No confidence

That's on the vet leadership and coaching, except Greene wasn't playing this game, so maybe its deeper than that.

Greene was my theory last season, but now he's been out for a few games and still playing like their mental makeup is made of tissue paper, so that theory maybe out the window already.

Coach either has them playing scared, or they're just too loose. Very surprised if its the latter, because they certainly should know what is at stake this year for everyone with an upgraded roster like this.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
do you think shero even entertained the idea of firing hynes a week ago? of course not. there are stages to this kind of decision, and if you rush one you’ll pay for it later. if he doesn’t have someone in mind- and again, i can’t imagine he’s given it that level of thought after a week- it could be worse in the long run for shero to plug someone in without doing his due diligence first. there are no coaches available that are an upper pedigree (e.g. quenneville, trotz) where it would make sense to rush this
There are some decent options out there. I like the idea of Jacques Martin

Reactions: Tretyak 20

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If Nico is out I'd like to see

Hall-Zacha-Bratt
Gusev-Zajac-Palmieri
Coleman-Hughes-Simmonds
Wood-Rooney-Boqvist

I feel there's enough help defensively for Hughes, Gusev and Palmieri can shoot on the second line, and the first line Zacha has shown a good amount of chemistry with both Hall and Bratt.
Seeing your lines reminded me that posters were joking about not caring if Zacha left on the day of the Russia rumors and at other times saying he could be traded because he was redundant. If Nico is out and Zacha was not here our C's next game would be Hughes-Zajac-Rooney-McLeod.:help:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Seeing your lines reminded me that posters were joking about not caring if Zacha left on the day of the Russia rumors and at other times saying he could be traded because he was redundant. If Nico is out and Zacha was not here our C's next game would be Hughes-Zajac-Rooney-McLeod.:help:

those comments broke me to the core.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
well on the +, the team doesn't hate each other

hall, zacha, sevo, wood, rooney, macblack, hayden, bratt, coleman, subban

Man, i don't know how to take that one, after a loss like today.........

maybe they're out celebrating Hynes last day as coach.

Guys gotta go out and get dinner i guess, but they sure shat on the fans today, and opening night, and...the Edm game -- couldn't even win on Kids day at the arena!

Reactions: glenwo2

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, Jacques Martin not only physically resembles a penguin but I believe was hired by Shero to be an assistant there...

Not that he'd necessarily be who I'd want, but if you're going the past history route there is some familiarity.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Man, i don't know how to take that one, after a loss like today.........

maybe they're out celebrating Hynes last day as coach.

Guys gotta go out and get dinner i guess, but they sure shat on the fans today, and opening night, and...the Edm game -- couldn't even win on Kids day at the arena!

Eh, they have lives outside of hockey. I wouldn't want them to be all doom and gloom constantly like us.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Well, Jacques Martin not only physically resembles a penguin but I believe was hired by Shero to be an assistant there...

Not that he'd necessarily be who I'd want, but if you're going the past history route there is some familiarity.

They have history going back to Shero’s days in Ottawa. But again, he isn’t available

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Eh, they have lives outside of hockey. I wouldn't want them to be all doom and gloom constantly like us.

I know, just saying, ranting really. Guys gotta have a life.....

Org should lower the ticket prices soon if we have to put up with this going forward..... or give some people some partial refunds for having to suffer so much.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad