Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - Season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
If it makes you feel better (unlikely) every year there is a champion and 31 losers. We will be in the same boat with them and nobody is touching teams like Boston or Colorado.

Reactions: glenwo2

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They have history going back to Shero’s days in Ottawa. But again, he isn’t available

Yeah, and I doubt they'd let him leave in season to go coach a division rival.

At some point if it gets bad enough it might not matter who the replacement is, but you do kind of need a plan in place if you're dumping your coach. Promoting the assistants is not an option. Going with another inexperienced coach doesn't seem like a great option. It seems like it's either Boucher or nobody if you're going the retread that is actually available route, unless I'm missing somebody else?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

In all seriousness, it’s good to see.
They need to rally together somehow.

I guess that's one interpretation; I kind of viewed it the other way.

They blow another lead, are 0-6, season's almost over in October, and after a brutal home loss they go have a fancy Manhattan dinner in the meatpacking district & are all smiles.

I cant imagine this happening in the Scott Stevens, John Madden, Bobby Holik,,,,,, era.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

They blow another lead, are 0-6, season's almost over in October, and after a brutal home loss they go have dinner in the meatpacking district and are all smiles. I cant imagine this happening in the Scott Stevens, John Madden, Bobby Holik, etc.... era.

I guess I'm not alone in this view. Thanks :eek:

Of course, if that is from today...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

They blow another lead, are 0-6, season's almost over in October, and after a brutal home loss they go have a fancy Manhattan dinner in the meatpacking district & are all smiles.

I cant imagine this happening in the Scott Stevens, John Madden, Bobby Holik,,,,,, era.

They’re human. They’re trying not to dwell. There’s nothing wrong with it. Just because the 00s era Devils never took a photo of it doesn’t mean they didn’t do the same. Rarely were they ever in a valley like this one anyway.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
They’re human. They’re trying not to dwell. There’s nothing wrong with it. Just because the 00s era Devils never took a photo of it doesn’t mean they didn’t do the same. Rarely were they ever in a valley like this one anyway.

You could say they were never in a valley like this because they didn't do that..and went to the exercise bikes all evening like Jagr would do, or one-arm chop firewood back at the ranch. :sarcasm:

I'm jaded tonight, I think I'll catch you all tomorrow. This game today made a mess of everything...

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Fans almost always take things a lot more serious then players do. They are playing a sport at its highest level, they are overly competitive people. Yes I’m sure they are frustrated but they also need to burn that off and will do so with teammates. I can almost guarantee you that the people on this board for all the NHL teams are way more invested then most of the players and staff on their respective teams.

Camille the Eel

Any word on Hischier or idea what took him out of the game?

After watching the tape of the second half of the game, there were so many things wrong that it’s impossible to give a Dx. that suggests a solution. That’s the hard part now. The breakdown is literally everything.

Would you consider sending Hughes down at this point just to stabilize? He’s trying to do way too much and getting stripped of the puck and banged around all over the place. Had some chances with the man advantage but not a pretty game overall.

Bringing up McLeod and going to a stronger forecheck and more deliberate game may be an option just to stay out of our own end.

Not really good ideas. Who knows. it’s too early to give up on the season but we really look beaten right now.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If you can’t figure out how to make a talent like Hughes impactful than its on the coaches.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Tbf, they didn't have social media... Different time etc...

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The fact that people think the players should be home crying and sulking is weird to me.

The thought that I was so completely shitty at my job to the point that it was embarassing would probably make me want to go home and study film, skate on my own, or do something that improved my game.

It's clearly a generational thing where the job defined the person at one point - and now nobody gives a f** as long as they are getting theirs.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Fans almost always take things a lot more serious then players do. They are playing a sport at its highest level, they are overly competitive people. Yes I’m sure they are frustrated but they also need to burn that off and will do so with teammates. I can almost guarantee you that the people on this board for all the NHL teams are way more invested then most of the players and staff on their respective teams.

Seem to remember Scott Stevens throwing his skate at Lemieux when things weren't going well. And knocking people around in practice.

Somebody should be doing that. Andy Greene ain't the guy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tbf, they didn't have social media... Different time etc...

Yeah there's that too...you could make the argument now's not the time to go advertising a loosey-goosey atmosphere after yet another brutal loss publicly. Obviously I don't want them sulking around all the time but I don't think anyone wants to see the fun side of the Devils now either.

Seem to remember Scott Stevens throwing his skate at Lemieux when things weren't going well. And knocking people around in practice.

Somebody should be doing that. Andy Greene ain't the guy.

That was Jeff Friesen he threw the skate at lol

Reactions: Whaddagoal

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yeah there's that too...you could make the argument now's not the time to go advertising a loosey-goosey atmosphere after yet another brutal loss publicly. Obviously I don't want them sulking around all the time but I don't think anyone wants to see the fun side of the Devils now either.

That was Jeff Friesen he threw the skate at lol

No, he got Claudey too, in 93 or 94.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Yeah there's that too...you could make the argument now's not the time to go advertising a loosey-goosey atmosphere after yet another brutal loss publicly.

^This exactly.
I knew a CEO who fired the hell out of some folks when they went off partying after not delivering the goods.

The timing of 'hey, we're spending all of those hard-earned millions you nice season-ticket holders threw at us at a nice restaurant' on the heels of repeated shit-shows doesn't play well with me.

People glory in the un-Lou-ness of social media, and the new fun Devils Entertainment Show - but I'll crabbily lust after well-played defensively-locked-down 2-1 victories that I once saw on a nightly basis for about 25 years.... thank you very much.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The thought that I was so completely ****ty at my job to the point that it was embarassing would probably make me want to go home and study film, skate on my own, or do something that improved my game.

It's clearly a generational thing where the job defined the person at one point - and now nobody gives a f** as long as they are getting theirs.
but just bc we don't have a record of the older gen doing things like going out together doesn't mean they didn't - in fact, they prob could do a LOT worse than our guys can nowadays. BECAUSE of social media, they have to behave and be on their toes.

and there's only so much video and studying one can do. they're the highest level of competitive, but crying in agony only helps so much. this wouldn't be any different than if each of them were individually at home with their WAGs watching Monday Night Football, drinking some wine with their own friends. i'd rather team unity

Reactions: glenwo2 and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The thought that I was so completely ****ty at my job to the point that it was embarassing would probably make me want to go home and study film, skate on my own, or do something that improved my game.

giphy.gif

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Yeah that is a weird take.

It's not that weird of a take..... in my opinion.

Fans aren't completely disconnected from all this, not sitting in an random bubble outside of it all.

The fans are (and have always) been partially funding the salaries these guys make (as a whole, not as an individual). It should be little surprise that these same fans take it a little bit to heart and have some expectations that the professionals will take on. They're paid top dollar no doubt.

If each heavily invested fan forks out a few thousand a year in tickets, or even half of that (not including the copious random amounts of spending for seriously overpriced parking, food/water, beer, and other merchandise.....), it's only natural to have some sort of stake or care, particularly if the team is hugely underpeforming to expectations. Ticket prices went up this year, for example.

It's obviously guys need to get out of course, as we all agreed, but the optics look funny to me, at least.

Particularly as the team is literally at rock bottom right now in standings (thanks Chicago for joining us), and the home games were absolute shitshows. Scrutiny seems at least, somewhat justified for fans...

Last edited:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
but just bc we don't have a record of the older gen doing things like going out together doesn't mean they didn't - in fact, they prob could do a LOT worse than our guys can nowadays. BECAUSE of social media, they have to behave and be on their toes.

and there's only so much video and studying one can do. they're the highest level of competitive, but crying in agony only helps so much. this wouldn't be any different than if each of them were individually at home with their WAGs watching Monday Night Football, drinking some wine with their own friends. i'd rather team unity

I'm sure they maybe went out drinking after every game when the team sucked back in the 80s.

I think an old-school coach would meet this with a bag skate.

From the looks of it, they should be having f***ing bag skates every day anyway.

Reactions: Whaddagoal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad