Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So if Arda's leaving MSG does that mean Amanda's getting a new sidekick for the podcasts?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Unless I'm dating her, I don't really care if a woman is attractive or not.

It has no bearing on my life.

If I'm gonna go out with her? I definitely want someone I'm at least semi-physically attracted to.

If she's on TV, especially as part of a hockey broadcast, no less? I really don't care.

Please for the Love of God let's not discuss your dating in this thread too. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Bleedred

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
We will judge her based on how good she is at her job once we have a chance to watch her during the season.

In the meantime, is it really a problem to comment on her looks? Can we still do that or is that no longer allowed in the ultra-PC environment we are in now where anything even remotely controversial shouldn't be said on the off chance that you may hurt someone's feelings? Nobody is claiming she got the job just because of it, but you're naive if you don't think that's part of the equation when hiring on air talent. Show me which posts about her are a problem for you, because as far as I can see everyone has been respectful.

I'm glad Deb is gone because I don't think she was good at her job. She asked a lot of awkward questions and I would get uncomfortable watching some of the interviews. Hopefully her replacement will be better, but we'll see. I'm not saying she's an improvement on Deb just because she's more attractive.

Now, am I happy that they hired a reasonably attractive host instead of some fat slob with a giant mole on her cheek - yeah, I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: glenwo2 and Owenay

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
If you factor in what has to be done next offseason and the cost to that, you'll be glad nothing much was done this season. Lots of people dont comprehend that...so im.glad it pisses of you and others.

More fear mongering nonsense. The Devils have an ABSURD, ungodly amount of cap space to work with. Of course they have upcoming deals that have to make - after 5 playoff less years and the draft picks you get from those you would certainly hope they have some extensions to sign.

And they have a superstar to extend as well at what will be a humongous number.

That is not exactly outside of the normal business of an NHL franchise. To suggest that the team has to essentially shut down operations in advance of offering contracts to Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier and Will Butcher is, again, asinine.

People are acting like the Devils are in some kind of unusual, challenging situation that must be expertly navigated. Give Hall his money, extend the young players and be done with it. Look at the top of the league and the amount of players on those teams that are making real money. Stop it.

At least we have something nice to look at on the pregame show now. And dont worry guys - I am talking about Bryce Salvador!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
More fear mongering nonsense. The Devils have an ABSURD, ungodly amount of cap space to work with. Of course they have upcoming deals that have to make - after 5 playoff less years and the draft picks you get from those you would certainly hope they have some extensions to sign.

And they have a superstar to extend as well at what will be a humongous number.

That is not exactly outside of the normal business of an NHL franchise. To suggest that the team has to essentially shut down operations in advance of offering contracts to Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier and Will Butcher is, again, asinine.

People are acting like the Devils are in some kind of unusual, challenging situation that must be expertly navigated. Give Hall his money, extend the young players and be done with it. Look at the top of the league and the amount of players on those teams that are making real money. Stop it.

At least we have something nice to look at on the pregame show now. And dont worry guys - I am talking about Bryce Salvador!
It's because of ownership bro. Too bad we can't spend money and don't have gud prospects like real teams like the Arizona Coyotes!

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
If you factor in what has to be done next offseason and the cost to that, you'll be glad nothing much was done this season. Lots of people dont comprehend that...so im.glad it pisses of you and others.
I’m fine with not signing free agents. However, he had all summer to work out a deal with wood. It’s a bad look, and players usually don’t love when stuff like this gets put off for this long

Reactions: Devils Dominion

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Unless I'm dating her, I don't really care if a woman is attractive or not.

It has no bearing on my life.

If I'm gonna go out with her? I definitely want someone I'm at least semi-physically attracted to.

If she's on TV, especially as part of a hockey broadcast, no less? I really don't care.

I don't really care either - would much rather have someone in there that is good at their job than some eye candy.

That being said, if given the choice most people would rather look at someone that's attractive over someone that's not. Not saying you only hire attractive on-air talent or anything like that, just saying it's natural to prefer to look at someone that's attractive so it is a positive quality that someone can bring to this role and not something that should be completely disregarded, even if it is way, way down on the list of qualifications. I hope that still OK to say in 2018.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Anyways, this is getting off topic. It's a little concerning to me that reports indicate Wood and the team aren't really close. He made great strides last year but I hope he's not getting a Clarkson ego. If he's truly interested in a bridge deal then I'm not sure what the hold up here is. Fortunately we more depth now than in years past, but if he's going to miss a significant part of camp then conditioning may be a factor early in the season.

As to your relevant substance, I wouldn't be surprised if Wood's agent is looking to jack up either dollars or term. I don't blame Ray for taking the prudent approach; we have a lot of young players that need bridge deals/extensions in the near future, and we have to be very careful about precedent setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hear ya bro - Their goalie stinks! Right?
Except, when did I say their goalie stinks? Outside of Wedgewood, who no longer plays there? And Domingue who is also nothing special, but also no longer plays there?

Kuemper fluctuates year after year. Raanta seems to be pretty good, but has also had bad years.

The Coyotes still suck though, they're also coached by the worst head coach in the NHL and one of the worst assistants/coaches the league has ever seen in our old friend Johnny Mac.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wood is a player in the image Shero wants for the team. It’s hard to know where the problem is without direct information about the offer and demand of both sides. I don’t doubt Shero is keeping cap space available for the inevitable Hall and Nico extensions but I don’t think a Wood bridge deal impacts those.

If Wood is a top six player then you risk alienating him with hardball negotiating. If he’s a third line guy then you have to flip him or let him walk depending upon team success when his big payday hits. You can only keep so many players in the current cap system. Presumably at some point the team will have to pay additional good players beyond Hall and Nico some big dollars. Hard to say if Wood will make it that far in his development that he will be one of them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Anyways, this is getting off topic. It's a little concerning to me that reports indicate Wood and the team aren't really close. He made great strides last year but I hope he's not getting a Clarkson ego. If he's truly interested in a bridge deal then I'm not sure what the hold up here is. Fortunately we more depth now than in years past, but if he's going to miss a significant part of camp then conditioning may be a factor early in the season.

Its either a ridiculous dollar amount or a ridiculous term amount.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Would be nice if they could come to an agreement soon. He's good player and plays the way the team wants and still has a bit room to grow. He has amazing speed, plays hard, his hands started to catch up to his feet a bit more and he can probably pot you 20 goals or a bit more if given a little more ice time or some more PP time.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I’m fine with not signing free agents. However, he had all summer to work out a deal with wood. It’s a bad look, and players usually don’t love when stuff like this gets put off for this long
This is just stupid

1. A deal will get done
2. Blaming Ray without knowing what Wood's side is asking makes no sense
3. You don't cave on precedent because of cap space or the arrival of training camp
4. You are ignorant

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yes but if the subject veers into anything regarding the devils and money or cap management or anything like that, it is a knee jerk reaction of this board to swarm to the side of "no big deal, this is normal, this is nothing, who cares". Its just the way it is.

Do you ever argue anything on its own merit, or do you just turn everything into 'Don't say X, everyone will think you're crazy!' and make things into a meta-argument? It's honestly the worst form of discussion there is.

As for Wood, it's a garbage system but that's where we are - he has no leverage other than to not sign whatever's offered to him. The Devils should absolutely sit on him with this contract with whatever they're offering. I'd like to see a 1 year deal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
People seem to forget that it takes both sides to agree to a contract. If Wood is asking for a Tom Wilson amount of money, should Shero just give it to him? I seriously doubt that he's just pinching pennies on a player who fits the fast, attacking style that we want to play and just scored 19 goals. But he's also not going to just give him a blank check either.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If there is one spot we can afford to hold out on, it's at wing.

As mentioned above, Wood has no leverage here at the end of the day. It is what it is. Something will get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad