Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
More fear mongering nonsense. The Devils have an ABSURD, ungodly amount of cap space to work with. Of course they have upcoming deals that have to make - after 5 playoff less years and the draft picks you get from those you would certainly hope they have some extensions to sign.

And they have a superstar to extend as well at what will be a humongous number.

That is not exactly outside of the normal business of an NHL franchise. To suggest that the team has to essentially shut down operations in advance of offering contracts to Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier and Will Butcher is, again, asinine.

People are acting like the Devils are in some kind of unusual, challenging situation that must be expertly navigated. Give Hall his money, extend the young players and be done with it. Look at the top of the league and the amount of players on those teams that are making real money. Stop it.

At least we have something nice to look at on the pregame show now. And dont worry guys - I am talking about Bryce Salvador!
Very ironic how you accuse another poster of posting fear mongering nonsense when you constantly wax poetic about how weak our prospect pool is and how the ownership has this fixed budgetary cap. Come on, bro.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Would you guys deal Wood and Sevs for Stone?
I hate trading players whose ceiling is still known and Wood is one of those players, I could see him becoming a top power forward in this league who puts in 3o+ goals a year. It would have to be more a player like Karlsson for me to be comfortable parting with him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I hate trading players whose ceiling is still known and Wood is one of those players, I could see him becoming a top power forward in this league who puts in 3o+ goals a year. It would have to be more a player like Karlsson for me to be comfortable parting with him.

Wood could also just as easily blow a couple of tires and flame out due to his play style.

He is a definite roll the dice player, and the chance to get someone a bit more proven shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand.

That said I don’t like dealing him and Severson for a forward. We aren’t in a position to be trading quality D for forwards.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Look, I was hoping we would have made a trade for a DMan this summer, but the right opportunity did not present itself. How many good DMen got moved? Dougie Hamilton? After that, who else?

I am disappointed we stood pat. But I also understand it. Starting next year, we are going to have an influx of DMen likely ready to take over for guys like Greene

You're assuming that the right opportunity did not present itself, and you may be right. But you have no idea. And neither do i. You have your dug-in beliefs about how things work with the Devils, which you absolutely have a right to. Others have theirs, and they have a right to as well. But your assertion here that all that was standing in the way of a big Devils trade this summer was the right opportunity is your belief and nothing more.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You're assuming that the right opportunity did not present itself, and you may be right. But you have no idea. And neither do i. You have your dug-in beliefs about how things work with the Devils, which you absolutely have a right to. Others have theirs, and they have a right to as well. But your assertion here that all that was standing in the way of a big Devils trade this summer was the right opportunity is your belief and nothing more.

I would have liked to obtain JVR this summer

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Players report today, hopefully there is in depth coverage by Chris Ryan since the Bergen Record reporter is probably on a baseball road trip.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Players report today, hopefully there is in depth coverage by Chris Ryan since the Bergen Record reporter is probably on a baseball road trip.

Gotta get the athletic. The record is beyond embarrassing and nj.com is pretty awful on NHL standards. the athletic actually has a guy who in interested in getting you information that you may not know already about the team, which is very nice.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Gotta get the athletic. The record is beyond embarrassing and nj.com is pretty awful on NHL standards. the athletic actually has a guy who in interested in getting you information that you may not know already about the team, which is very nice.

I don't need to pay for news so I won't.

Chris does a good job for a rookie

Reactions: OmNomNom

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I don't need to pay for news so I won't.

Chris does a good job for a rookie

Well, I don't get commission so i dont care what you do, but it's not really news at the athletic its actual analysis, which does not exist at all at either NJ paper. You really don't get news either, actually. When you think about it - if the devils ever make a trade, signing, fire a GM, hire someone (like Brodeur) - it will always come from a NHL league source, a McKenzie type, never from nj.com or record. Have you ever heard Ryan say something like - sources are telling me Devils will be in on this guy... or I'm hearing Devils are looking to do this... Never. Hes going online like me or you can do, and making a slideshow of "Top 5 players devils could target in UFA". Thats not news.

I agree Ryan is far better than the Record but they are simply tweeting out what the team gives them - rosters, transactions when the team wants them to have them and stock interviews in the locker room. You could get that from Stein if you could tolerate her act otherwise.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and HBK27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad