Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
wonder if we get a Wood contract today as the players (I believe) report tomorrow

think Severson signed on the eve of camp last year

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You missed the part where I said "we more or less know what everyone else will bring." We have a good idea of what to expect from the defense and we have a good idea what our goaltending will be like. Zacha and Bratt are questionmarks.

We actually don’t have a good idea what our goaltending will be like. Both goalies were jekell and Hyde at different points last season, and Cory is returning from a serious injury.

We do know Zacha can’t be much worse for us this production wise. The team’s success doesn’t hinge on him breaking out. It would help a great deal, but it isn’t a deal breaker overall if he doesn’t.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we also don’t know what mueller will bring, santini, severson or if butcher steps into a larger role smoothly.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
zacha and severson seem to be the same level of question marks on whether they develop further with the potential we all think they have

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
We actually don’t have a good idea what our goaltending will be like. Both goalies were jekell and Hyde at different points last season, and Cory is returning from a serious injury.

We do know Zacha can’t be much worse for us this production wise. The team’s success doesn’t hinge on him breaking out. It would help a great deal, but it isn’t a deal breaker overall if he doesn’t.

I disagree with that point. Schneider fell off a cliff last year after his injury but there was a reason for his decline and a .915-9.10 isn't unreasonable expectation from both goalies. Kinkaid has enough of a sample size for us to predict what he'll bring. Cory will likely be around there too and now that he's healthy I would bet he's closer to .915.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Anderson

my initial thought as well for the most part. i think they should keep hall & palmieri apart plus reunite that 9-13-63 line to see if they can elevate each other once again. maybe JQ though over anderson?

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Deb Re-Placey

Agree, nice on the eyes

Not worried about her sports acumen whatsoever, anything will be a step up from Deb.

For such a long tenure she never seemed to take the insightful track into what's going on with the players/coaches/team. Her questions were often oddly superficial or awkward at best, just really obtuse all around. I'd like someone that's more mindful of current events and who can formulate a sharp question here and there.

Reactions: HBK27

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So here's the thing that bugs me a little bit... Other hires (Stein, Baicker, Robenhymer) have a lot of hockey knowledge and worked in hockey for years before coming to the Devils (and Baicker has sinced moved on).... Scrolling through Erika's Instagram/Twitter (not as creepy as it sounds) there's absolutely zero evidence of anything hockey related.

I had said in this thread that I was pretty positive they were going to hire a young female... and there's nothing wrong with that... I knew it was going to happen. I don't care about her looks. That's not the point. You cannot tell me that she's more qualified than Arda Ocal who is practically a hockey genius..... or Julie Robenhymer who is good in front of the camera and very knowledgeable.

I'm sure she'll be fine... but I'm kind of disappointed.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
So here's the thing that bugs me a little bit... Other hires (Stein, Baicker, Robenhymer) have a lot of hockey knowledge and worked in hockey for years before coming to the Devils (and Baicker has sinced moved on).... Scrolling through Erika's Instagram/Twitter (not as creepy as it sounds) there's absolutely zero evidence of anything hockey related.

Hello, Erika. This is fine by me. I get enough hockey from Daneyko and Salvador. Good job MSG. By the way I am looking forward to following her on twitter. And she can post all she wants about shoes! Hello deah!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think her job is meant to be that of needing whatever off the cuff knowledge comes to mind but to at least be a strong interviewer and natural conversationalist.

With Deb, if I noticed anything, it was just she had come across as awkward and uncomfortable at times. I don't want to knock on her really, she's clearly a pro at her job to have done it for as long as she had and I don't remember her always coming off that way but that's the vibe I got over the last two years.

If Erika is a natural, then I'm sure she'll be fine.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't think her job is meant to be that of needing whatever off the cuff knowledge comes to mind but to at least be a strong interviewer and natural conversationalist.

With Deb, if I noticed anything, it was just she had come across as awkward and uncomfortable at times. I don't want to knock on her really, she's clearly a pro at her job to have done it for as long as she had and I don't remember her always coming off that way but that's the vibe I got over the last two years.

If Erika is a natural, then I'm sure she'll be fine.

The one thing I realized after making my post was that she's an MSG hire and not a Devils hire. MSG went the same route with the Red Bulls game-day host.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The one thing I realized after making my post was that she's an MSG hire and not a Devils hire. MSG went the same route with the Red Bulls game-day host.

Right. And for all we know, Julie is comfortable in her role and Arda has other things he might want to explore if the MSG Hockey Show is really getting canned. He may be comfortable in doing his thing as well with appearing every so often as an intermission guest.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Right. And for all we know, Julie is comfortable in her role and Arda has other things he might want to explore if the MSG Hockey Show is really getting canned. He may be comfortable in doing his thing as well with appearing every so often as an intermission guest.

Arda is completely out at MSG. He's had a thousand jobs and won't have a problem fitting in somewhere. He already has a professor job at Iona lined up. Dude's a member of MENSA haha.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The job of the studio host is to host the show. You don't need to be a New Jersey Devils scholar to tell us scratches, read line combos, and throw to video of Hynes at the morning skate.

That host does in between period and post game player interviews

She needs to know the game, the players, etc or she will look out of place and scorned by fans

Reactions: mtnet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad