Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Bratt and Zacha are going to be the difference in whether this team makes the post season or not. We more or less know what everyone else will bring. These two are question marks. If we get 45 points a piece from those two then I think we make it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bratt and Zacha are going to be the difference in whether this team makes the post season or not. We more or less know what everyone else will bring. These two are question marks. If we get 45 points a piece from those two then I think we make it.
And goaltending, which has been suspect (mostly from Cory) for the last two years.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Along with goaltending, defense and other factors

Reactions: Call Me Al

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm less worried about the forwards than I am the defense and goaltending. While I think the defense did a pretty admirable job last year, I don't know if they can repeat it. Our key defenders were pretty much all healthy last year. If that changes things could get ugly. I think a healthy Cory will be better, although given his age and the style he plays I worry about injuries becoming a recurring issue. Kinkaid I don't know what to expect. I don't think he's as good as his late season run, but hopefully he's at least average/above average.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm less worried about the forwards than I am the defense and goaltending. While I think the defense did a pretty admirable job last year, I don't know if they can repeat it. Our key defenders were pretty much all healthy last year. If that changes things could get ugly. I think a healthy Cory will be better, although given his age and the style he plays I worry about injuries becoming a recurring issue. Kinkaid I don't know what to expect. I don't think he's as good as his late season run, but hopefully he's at least average/above average.

If Lovejoy got injured Hynes would never allow Greene to leave the ice.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Couple things on this.

1)Greene typically plays 100% of the games, it did not happen in 16-17, but he did in the previous 4 seasons and 5 of the previous 6.

2)Vat's was pretty healthy while with the Devils, but he only played 57 games, he will likely play more then that next year.

3)Sev's 76 last year was his average of the previous 2 years.

I thought this after the 16-17 season that Shero shed the team of guys who were oft injured. Like Camm, like JJ, Bennet, and relative to this discussion, Merrill.

When you have guys who play every game, it's not surprising when they play every game.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Along with goaltending, defense and other factors
While I agree with Mission that Zacha could be a major component if he is able to step up as a legit 2nd line center. I think DD is right in that there are numerous factors. Schneid's coming back and playing at 15-16 levels would be huge. Sev's turning into the player we hoped he could be would be huge. Nico posting 70 points would be huge. Can Wood step up and post 30 goals? Can Coleman build on his 25 points, or will he regress? Noesen the same? Then you wonder if we can get unexpected rookie production from guys like Q, Anderson, McLeod like we did last year from Bratt, and Coleman.

So I do focus on Zacha being a bellweather player, but this team, being young, not having multiple vets who you expect to put up 60ish point, will have a lot of variable type x factors.

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
While I agree with Mission that Zacha could be a major component if he is able to step up as a legit 2nd line center. I think DD is right in that there are numerous factors. Schneid's coming back and playing at 15-16 levels would be huge. Sev's turning into the player we hoped he could be would be huge. Nico posting 70 points would be huge. Can Wood step up and post 30 goals? Can Coleman build on his 25 points, or will he regress? Noesen the same? Then you wonder if we can get unexpected rookie production from guys like Q, Anderson, McLeod like we did last year from Bratt, and Coleman.

So I do focus on Zacha being a bellweather player, but this team, being young, not having multiple vets who you expect to put up 60ish point, will have a lot of variable type x factors.

I expect Palmieri to be somewhere between 50 and 60, Johansson if healthy can be near 50. Hall is obviously going to be well above that barring something catastrophic. Hischier should be between 50-60. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zacha will score 20 this year.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Clarkson had arbitration rights, Wood does not. That's really what it comes down to.

I don't know why they're looking at bridge deals unless the Devils are really being cautious about Wood's future health. A 2 year deal is exactly the wrong kind of deal - every other contract length between 1 and 5 would be better than throwing yet another RFA on to the summer 2020 pile.

Bridge deal could theoretically be three years too.

A 3 year deal anywhere from 2.66-3 AAV is what I imagine it ends up being. I think he could make a case for more than that, but not having arbitration rights likely hurts him here.

Now that I think about it, Clarkson signed that deal early on July 1st. Was he about to be a UFA?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I expect Palmieri to be somewhere between 50 and 60, Johansson if healthy can be near 50. Hall is obviously going to be well above that barring something catastrophic. Hischier should be between 50-60. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zacha will score 20 this year.

I think Zacha gets high 40s this year.

Watching condensed games throughout the year, it seemed like every three games I watched had Zacha either denied a great opportunity or he set someone up and they couldn't finish.

Hopefully, a full year in the top six, along with gaining some familiarity and chemistry with some of the players will lead to a more productive season from him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Palms is a guy who scores at a very predictable pace, if he plays 80, like he did in the 2 years prior to this past season he will post 28 ish goals and 55ish points.

Likewise mojo, who prior to this past season averaged 78ish games a season in his previous 4 seasons, is a near lock to post 45+ points.

So those are guys, aside from mojo's odd injury riddled year last year, you can expect a certain level of games played, and points produced.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Watching condensed games throughout the year, it seemed like every three games I watched had Zacha either denied a great opportunity or he set someone up and they couldn't finish.

Hopefully, a full year in the top six, along with gaining some familiarity and chemistry with some of the players will lead to a more productive season from him.
For a guy who didn't shoot as much as I would have liked, I feel he was near the team lead in shots off iron(or off the top of the goalies stick).

And if those shots start to go in, does that encourage him to shoot more/play with more confidence/play more aggressive?

I believe he is very close to a breakout.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
aside from goaltending, IMO the 2 roster players who will be pivotal are Zacha and Mueller
I kind of agree, but I have less confidence Mueller can step up.

In large part because he is such an unknown. I thought Zacha played above his point production last year. Mueller? I think there is potential there, but I have barely seen him play, much less seen him play at a level where I think a break out is possible.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hopefully it's just a process where now that he's started to play well the production comes with it. If he could even end up with 15 goals, 40 points that would be an encouraging sign. I'm not expecting a huge breakout from him, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens either.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The D is largely the same as last year. Moore out is the only big difference, so I don’t really expect it to play much differently for better or for worse. Greene might be a bit worse, but guys like Butcher and Severson should be a bit better and balance it out.

That is why goaltending is a much bigger question mark.

Even Zacha breaking out or not isn’t a lynchpin for the playoffs. We made them without him putting up points. Him finally breaking out will make life a lot easier and allow us to weather any sophomore slumps or major forward injuries though.

I just don’t see any major net negatives between last year and this year. Hall may score less, but it should be offset by a healthier Mojo and Palms. Net wise I think we most likely end up about the same production wise barring injuries (which you simply can’t predict).

So yeah it comes down to goal tending. If it is consistently good we are in the hunt all year. If it isn’t we are sunk.

People get way too hung up on the idea that our players can only regress and not progress.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think Zacha could finish with 40+ points. A lot of people seem to forget that he only averaged like 14:21 per game over his first two years in the league. If he were playing 16--18 minutes per game, I think those totals go up.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bridge deal could theoretically be three years too.

A 3 year deal anywhere from 2.66-3 AAV is what I imagine it ends up being. I think he could make a case for more than that, but not having arbitration rights likely hurts him here.

Now that I think about it, Clarkson signed that deal early on July 1st. Was he about to be a UFA?

Cordell's reporting that a 2 year deal is all they're talking about so that's what I'm going on. 3 years would be fine.

Clarkson was not about to be a UFA but I believe that deal took him through some UFA years. He was born in 84 and signed that deal in 2010, so I think he had just the one year before UFA.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think Zacha could finish with 40+ points. A lot of people seem to forget that he only averaged like 14:21 per game over his first two years in the league. If he were playing 16--18 minutes per game, I think those totals go up.

40 points is my bar for Zacha, too. It looks like he’ll be the default 2C for at least the first stretch of the year. Considering he’ll be playing with Johansson and either Palmieri or Bratt, there will be plenty of opportunity for him to break out.

Camille the Eel

It doesn’t have to be Zacha or Bratt. But we will need scoring from a line that doesn’t have Hall. Need it badly.

The name of the game, the way Shero has built the club, will be can we put up as many or more goals than we did last year. Teams are going to load up on stopping Hall, who else is going to fill the net.

We are not built to win a lot of 2- 1 games. Our D and goal play will be near where it was last year. We need 3 or 4 goals a night to win consistently. That is a lot of scoring. Who besides Hall and his line mates and mates on the power play? It can be a committee but that is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad