Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It so depends on what the offers for Mojo are.

Right now I think the best offer will be a conditional first (so a second that becomes a first with a cup appearance)

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Right now I think the best offer will be a conditional first (so a second that becomes a first with a cup appearance)

Definitely depends on the offers which means we have to see how the market shapes. I can definitely see a team offering a 1st straight up for him if they are missing some offensive depth. A 1st for a top 6 winger isn’t a bad deal for anyone involved.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

not to me it doesn’t. trade him for the best offer you can get, i can’t believe anyone would want to hang onto someone who will likely leave anyway. he’s our most valuable pending UFA. trade him

Reactions: MichaelJ

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Trade Johansson now and get those picks and prospects in. Do it asap before he gets injured or his hot streak cools down.

Then re-visit on 1 July to see about a re-signing.

His value won’t drop at this point between now and Monday. It may be smart for Shero to wait to see what happens with guys like Stone and Duchene before he moves Johansson. Teams that miss out on their top target may step up their offer. There’s been a lot of action on him, and Shero has a lot of leverage here. There’s no reason to rush a decision.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
His value won’t drop at this point between now and Monday. It may be smart for Shero to wait to see what happens with guys like Stone and Duchene before he moves Johansson. Teams that miss out on their top target may step up their offer. There’s been a lot of action on him, and Shero has a lot of leverage here. There’s no reason to rush a decision.

I honestly think the best thing to do is approach him today or Sunday and ask him if he wants to sign here. If he says yes, we don't trade him unless we are blown away. I'd rather have a signed Johansson than trade him for picks and/or B level prospects.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
have to assume ray already knows if he plans to sign here or explore free agency and how much he is seeking and will make a decision based on that. if he's gone it means ray didn't want to pay that price

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
who cares if he wants to sign here? he’ll still have that option. gtfo, go try and win a cup, in the meantime we’ll use the acquired assets to become a better team, and see you in july

Reactions: Darkauron

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I think Lovejoy will get traded.

Experienced winner, physical, good guy, not too expensive and nice injury insurance as a 6/7 on serious teams. I’d also guess that most scouts view our individual players with an asterisk based on horrific team play.

As much as I didn’t think the Boyle and Lovejoy signings fit stylistically, Shero was savvy in understanding their tradability years ahead. Teams want quality people.

Agreed, but I can assure you that Shero didn't sign these two guys so that they could be traded years later.

indfin

Jan 4, 2010
who cares if he wants to sign here? he’ll still have that option. gtfo, go try and win a cup, in the meantime we’ll use the acquired assets to become a better team, and see you in july

He would, but if he gets to July 1, he will certainly get other offers and, even if he likes it here, the ultimate cost will likely be much higher ($ and/or term).

If he is willing to extend prior to the trade deadline, I would probably do it. If not, then there is absolutely no excuse not to trade him. If he stays healthy, he is likely better than any UFA that they Devils would have a chance to acquire ... and they would still have plenty of cap space to take on another expensive contract in trade or UFA.

Camille the Eel

I think you don’t sign MarJo long term - meaning more than 2 years - because of injury concerns. He’s fragile. 50% chance, I would say, that it’s over for him some time during the next 4 or 5 years, who knows when. One bad hit and his history of concussion. So it’s a risky signing. Could be next year who knows. So that is the factor that drives things. How amenable are we to that risk, given where we are and what’s going on.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Camille the Eel

He would, but if he gets to July 1, he will certainly get other offers and, even if he likes it here, the ultimate cost will likely be much higher ($ and/or term).

If he is willing to extend prior to the trade deadline, I would probably do it. If not, then there is absolutely no excuse not to trade him. If he stays healthy, he is likely better than any UFA that they Devils would have a chance to acquire ... and they would still have plenty of cap space to take on another expensive contract in trade or UFA.
That’s the entire issue.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Mojo is most likely not going to cost much more than what he currently makes, if he is even due for a raise at all. He has had some injury problems absolutely over the last two years and that has made his value go down. But please do not act like you are a doctor or can predict injury, literally anyone can stay healthy or get hurt this isn't like signing ryan clowe again.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

yeah i guess i agree for the most part, but i’m pretty sure he’s going to go to market one way or the other. i don’t see him signing a loyalty team friendly contract if we don’t trade him

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think you don’t sign MarJo long term - meaning more than 2 years - because of injury concerns. He’s fragile. 50% chance, I would say, that it’s over for him some time during the next 4 or 5 years, who knows when. One bad hit and his history of concussion. So it’s a risky signing. Could be next year who knows. So that is the factor that drives things. How amenable are we to that risk, given where we are and what’s going on.
He wasn’t fragile his entire career before last year, who’s to say he always be fragile going forward?

Reactions: Billdo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
My worry about signing MoJo or a replacement is term. I don't want to block Boqvist or some of our other wings in a couple years. Then again, that's probably a good problem to have.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Which, if he is willing to sign with us, I would not take.

I really really hope to see Hall and Zacha on a line to end this year, then we can get a look at how they perform together.

But right now Mojo is playing like a top line player. I'm not trading that for a 2nd rounder.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
My worry about signing MoJo or a replacement is term. I don't want to block Boqvist or some of our other wings in a couple years. Then again, that's probably a good problem to have.

I've had the same worry, but I'm not sure that will be a problem. Most good teams have 3 lines that produce and there's nothing wrong with having lots of good wingers. I also don't think Mojo can get a long enough term/money deal to make it a huge issue.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
MoJo is a conundrum, because the asset(s) you get back (perhaps a 2nd & a 4th) will almost certainly not be able to replace him.

That said, there is tremendous risk to signing a player long-term who has already suffered three documented concussions.

Given the current state of professional sports, how seriously concussions are taken, and the fact MoJo is now clinically prone to concussion, I would cut bait and trade him. The reality is, a 45'ish point player is not irreplaceable via Free Agency, and I dont like MoJo's medical risk.

However, if Shero resigns MoJo, I really hope it's no more than a 2 year deal given the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad