Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This board loves to trash defensive defensemen, particularly if they are older and make decent money. Lovejoy is not a great player but is far from the hyperbole being thrown around here. You can't just throw a bunch of young kids on D and expect them to do well.

Can't wait to read the same snipes aimed at Greene next year.

Whats the excuse for Lovejoy and Greene decaying like a corpse in real time on the ice?

Greene has been criticized since last season when his play has been absolutely terrible to the point he drags every player he plays with down, and has some of the worst advanced stats on the team.

Greene should not be here next year as he can not keep up, and his vet pressence obviously means jack shit since the team has been dog shit since he had that C placed on his chest.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Whats the excuse for Lovejoy and Greene decaying like a corpse in real time on the ice?

Greene has been criticized since last season when his play has been absolutely terrible to the point he drags every player he plays with down, and has some of the worst advanced stats on the team.

Greene should not be here next year as he can not keep up, and his vet pressence obviously means jack **** since the team has been dog **** since he had that C placed on his chest.

the players obviously and genuinely disagree with you on the leadership aspect, i’d probably trust their opinions on that over yours. in terms of his usage next year, it needs to be less. but there’s still a place for him

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This whole notion of Lovejoy ‘decaying’ and being trash is dumb. He is a perfectly capable 3rd pairing guy, his numbers show that. He gets trashed by these types of posters because he is not flashy or young. I would love if our mobile offensive minded dmen had more defensive capabilities like Lovejoy. Obviously he won’t push the play forward too often which is why we need to find better options but he does a fine job in the D zone. He is also a big part of the PK being so good here for the past 3 seasons.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This whole notion of Lovejoy ‘decaying’ and being trash is dumb. He is a perfectly capable 3rd pairing guy, his numbers show that. He gets trashed by these types of posters because he is not flashy or young. I would love if our mobile offensive minded dmen had more defensive capabilities like Lovejoy. Obviously he won’t push the play forward too often which is why we need to find better options but he does a fine job in the D zone. He is also a big part of the PK being so good here for the past 3 seasons.
Lovejoy his first season here was way overplayed and struggled because of it. He's been good in his reduced role since then.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Lovejoy will probably return something decent at the deadline. If not, I have no problem bringing him back strictly as the RHD3 for a year or two given how barren the Devils are on that side. Would he really be a terrible partner to break Smith into the league with?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Lovejoy will probably return something decent at the deadline. If not, I have no problem bringing him back strictly as the RHD3 for a year or two given how barren the Devils are on that side.

I would have hated this idea a few months ago, but the play of santini has been so bad that I almost would want Lovejoy back to at least have 3 capable NHL level D, not sure Santini is that. I would assume he doesn't come back but who knows.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
He's a bad defenseman
Hopefully a GM will think he's good at clearing the zone on the pk and give us a pick

There are bad d men on every team, he is a better bad defenseman than most teams #6 D. He at least knows he stinks with the puck and just goes glass and out or dumps the puck.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Lovejoy is not great and gets many comments for his play, calling him a disgrace is a bit much. You can not like a player and also not think he's a disgrace. The first part of your argument is a joke and it's not a good one.

Don't you think it is better than AH or SH? As for the first part of my post it was not argument, just a statement.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
By every metric Lovejoy is a good 3rd pairing defenseman. To think otherwise is factually incorrect, plain and simple.

Lest you forget, that you're opinion and those that agree with you.

As I said before there are enough posts in this forum that says otherwise.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Then almost every player in this league is a joke going by this logic...:facepalm:

Can’t even debate with these type of posts because it provides nothing to the discussion.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
By every metric Lovejoy is a good 3rd pairing defenseman. To think otherwise is factually incorrect, plain and simple.

BTW, if he is such a good 3rd pairing defensemen why haven't the playoff teams jumped all over him with a trade deal? Maybe he isn't as good as some of you think? Read the GDTs when he is playing and find out what hockey fans think.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
BTW, if he is such a good 3rd pairing defensemen why haven't the playoff teams jumped all over him with a trade deal? Maybe he isn't as good as some of you think? Read the GDTs when he is playing and find out what hockey fans think.
Again, horrible logic. This means every other player on the trade block who hasn’t been traded is not a good player...:facepalm:

So Panarin, Duchene, Zuccarello and Johansson are bad players. Gotcha.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lest you forget, that you're opinion and those that agree with you.

The quantity of posts about him has absolutely no bearing on his quality. What a terrible argument.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
There's still time, it's the calm before the flurry in the final days. Fluid negotiations in progress with multiple suitors, lots of balls in the air right now. LJ is the type of player a team snags at the last minute to backstop their lineup, not the type they trade for while in the process of jockeying for bigger fish.

He's perfectly serviceable in a limited role and has the experience. Seems like a good guy too.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Well said my friend :thumbu:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We're really basing Lovejoy's value on what other HF boards think of him and the fact he hasn't been traded more than a week before the deadline? I can't wait till he gets dealt for a 3rd or higher, people's jaws WILL hit the floor and we'll start building the shrine to Shero again.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
There's still time, it's the calm before the flurry in the final days. Fluid negotiations in progress with multiple suitors, lots of balls in the air right now. LJ is the type of player a team snags at the last minute to backstop their lineup, not the type they trade for while in the process of jockeying for bigger fish.

He's perfectly serviceable in a limited role and has the experience. Seems like a good guy too.

You could get creative and trade a 4th and LJ for a second. Something similar would be a first rounder for Mojo and 2nd that becomes a 3rd if the acquiring team wins a round in the playoffs.

Ray will have done masterful work if we go into the draft with two 1sts and two 2nds for guys on expiring contracts that didn't cost an arm and a leg to get in the first place.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think that unless the deal is too good, Ray will simply let Lovejoy run out his contract here out of respect since it doesn’t sound like he wants to uproot.

Imagine the same would have happened with Boyle, but Ray was actually able to get a solid return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->