Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck With Nico

Registered Otaku
Sep 28, 2017
New Hampshire
So realistically, who do we see being moved? The only 2 I can actually see moving are Lovejoy and MoJo. Mojo would likely bring in a 2nd and Lovejoy I can see getting a 3rd or 4th.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’d say that’s a fairly chalk analysis, we only have three UFA’s of any consequence but at this point there’s a better chance of KK being waived than traded so yeah probably ‘only’ MoJo and Lovejoy will be dealt along with some random minor leaguer trade.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Risk of concussions should not dissuade Shero from re-signing Johansson. The Devils currently have three contracts that end in 2021-22 and one that ends in 2022-23. They have almost no long-term commitments at this point. If Johansson's career were forced to end because of concussions, the Devils could work around that. Frankly that's a less daunting outcome than a decline in play.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
And hope the picks turn into something in 3-4 years? Or package those picks for another player? Why not just sign the proven commodity you have?

i think we’re throwing around labels like ‘proven commodity’ a little recklessly here. i’d love to re-sign him after he’s had his shot at a cup, but he should ultimately be replaceable with in-house talent despite his excellent play over the last 3 weeks or so

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Risk of concussions should not dissuade Shero from re-signing Johansson. The Devils currently have three contracts that end in 2021-22 and one that ends in 2022-23. They have almost no long-term commitments at this point. If Johansson's career were forced to end because of concussions, the Devils could work around that.

Easy to say when it's not your money. This is a business you know.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I get that Johansson is finally meeting 18-months-old expectations, and it's nice to finally see, but this uptick in play and production needs to be the illusion used to sell him... not justification for retaining him.

We're a rebuilding team with holes all over our lineup. We have an opportunistic GM with a track record of turning draft capital into (sometimes high-end) NHL players. We have a reputable top-6 veteran on an expiring contract that is garnering significant interest from other clubs. How do you not trade him?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I get that Johansson is finally meeting 18-months-old expectations, and it's nice to finally see, but this uptick in play and production needs to be the illusion used to sell him... not justification for retaining him.

That's how I see it.

And IF they really want MoJo back, and IF MoJo really wants to stay here, there's absolutely nothing preventing Shero from resigning him July 1, 2019.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Revisiting Shero's trade history. I like that Corey Masisak notes his tendencies as well:

From career-defining to underrated, a look back at every...

A few of Shero’s tendencies jump out, though he has been known to zag when he was expected to zig.

* Shero prefers to move down at the draft, not up — he’s traded down three times in four drafts.

* He’s not a draft pick hoarder. The Devils have been stockpiling picks for much of his tenure, but while other GMs love to use them to draft prospects, Shero has actually traded away 10 picks in deals for NHL players (though he recouped one from Anaheim a few months after the 2017 trade for Sami Vatanen). New Jersey currently has eight selections in the 2019 NHL Draft and should add to that number in the coming days, but Shero could also subtract at some point between now and June 21 in Vancouver to improve the team more immediately.

* He’s willing to be patient. Shero has accepted a selection from a future draft — not the one coming up — five times. Doing so typically means a better pick. While the Devils have been rebuilding, it made sense to take back a third-round pick 15 months away instead of settling for a fourth rounder in three months. Does that same patience still apply? As an example, would Shero accept a 2020 first-round pick for Marcus Johansson instead of a second in 2019?

* Shero has racked up a lot more wins than losses on the trade market since he arrived in New Jersey, and several of them have been decisive victories.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
And hope the picks turn into something in 3-4 years? Or package those picks for another player? Why not just sign the proven commodity you have?

Flip the return as part of a package for a defensive upgrade. The Devils are already likely looking at a high pick of a forward who we shouldn’t have to wait 3-4 years for.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That's how I see it.

And IF they really want MoJo back, and IF MoJo really wants to stay here, there's absolutely nothing preventing Shero from resigning him July 1, 2019.

Exactly.

His 17 points over the last 21 games have been fun, but how quickly do people forget his mere 8 points in the first 20 games of the season... his injuries in addition to his concussions... only two multi-point games last year, etc...

His ~1.0 PPG pace over the last several weeks should be an illusion used to extract maximum value from a contender at the deadline.

I can't believe some of our own fans are taking the bait. This is the perfect storm for Johansson to actually land a 1st (even if it's conditional)... we should be licking our chops, not discussing retaining and extending. That's not how rebuilding teams operate.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I do wonder why the trade and re-sign later thing doesn't happen.

"Hey, so go do some damage in the playoffs, then come back next year and we'll be a better team because of all the stuff we got for you."

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Easy to say when it's not your money. This is a business you know.

The money has to get spent somewhere regardless. So unless the Devils plan to go all in on some big money guys this offseason, the money that Johansson would get it any realistic extension would not matter even if he doesn't suit up for a single game, which probably means insurance is covering a big chunk anyway.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I do wonder why the trade and re-sign later thing doesn't happen.

"Hey, so go do some damage in the playoffs, then come back next year and we'll be a better team because of all the stuff we got for you."

Well, I think the human element is more important than people realize. Boyle kind of summed it up best saying that ultimately, you have to buy in and be fully invested where you end up because it makes it harder if you don't. I think a lot of guys either take it personally if they're dealt or see the greener grass on the other side potentially by buying into their new team or seeing potential for a new opportunity.

I agree, it is interesting that it doesn't happen as often as one would think it would.

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Flip the return as part of a package for a defensive upgrade. The Devils are already likely looking at a high pick of a forward who we shouldn’t have to wait 3-4 years for.

A lot has to fall into place for that all to happen. I'm just saying unless he has no intentions of signing OR we aren't blown away by an offer, I'd just as soon keep him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Well, I think the human element is more important than people realize. Boyle kind of summed it up best saying that ultimately, you have to buy in and be fully invested where you end up because it makes it harder if you don't. I think a lot of guys either take it personally if they're dealt or see the greener grass on the other side potentially by buying into their new team or seeing potential for a new opportunity.

I agree, it is interesting that it doesn't happen as often as one would think it would.

On the surface you'd think Boyle would be a prime example of coming back here to a better team. It is interesting why it doesn't happen though that's for sure.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is encouraging. Since Hall went down:

Nico - 19 points in 26 games
Bratt - 17 points in 26 games
Zajac - 16 points in 35 games
Palmieri - 14 points in 26 games
Zacha - 12 points in 24 games
Johansson - 12 points in 17 games
Coleman - 11 points (9 goals) in 22 games
Butcher - 11 points in 26 games
Severson - 11 points in 26 games
Wood - 11 points in 19 games

All of them except perhaps Johansson are long-term players. Very nice to see them producing.

Camille the Eel

He wasn’t fragile his entire career before last year, who’s to say he always be fragile going forward?
for me last year says it, in itself, one long absence from concussion makes you risky in my view, even though guys like Crosby have missed half a season and been okay since then. But for every Crosby there's a Ryan Clowe.

But even more than that, the way Johansson himself is skating this year, the manifest way he's being careful to avoid heavy contact - though he did go to the traffic in the middle of the crease once this last game instead of hanging on the perimeter of the crease - makes me wonder. I think he feels vulnerable himself.

All of this is speculation. I just think that there's more risk going long term with a guy who had two big concussion events last year, than there is with a player who doesn't have the baggage and the mileage.

And it's true he's always been a perimeter guy.

But I am not offering him more than a couple or at most three years for that reason.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
A lot has to fall into place for that all to happen. I'm just saying unless he has no intentions of signing OR we aren't blown away by an offer, I'd just as soon keep him.

Ehh.. I don't even have to be blown away. If a team is offering a 2nd and some sweetener resulting from a bidding war, that's fine by me.

I wouldn't even rule out that "sweetener" being a condition that turns the pick into a 1st if the acquiring team makes a certain playoff round.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I honestly think the best thing to do is approach him today or Sunday and ask him if he wants to sign here. If he says yes, we don't trade him unless we are blown away. I'd rather have a signed Johansson than trade him for picks and/or B level prospects.

I think you need more than a general assurance. If Shero wants to keep him, you sign him now. There is no impediment to an extension at this point. If MarJo wants more term or money than Shero is comfortable with, then I'd hope Shero would take the best offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad