Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Eh, I think we’ve all been really good about it since there’s been a thread for it.

There’s not really much to debate there anymore. All we have left is what defenseman sucks the most and what forward is underachieving at this point.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
hopefully cory plays well tonight

images

Reactions: Scooooooooooooot

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
every game just adds to the idea that if Severson is here next season ill be pissed

at this point I just assume he refuses to learn the defensive game, thats how embarrassing he is

Reactions: BenedictGomez

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd like to see Severson under another coach and system before I completely give up on him but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
every game just adds to the idea that if Severson is here next season ill be pissed

at this point I just assume he refuses to learn the defensive game, thats how embarrassing he is

What you call, "embarrassing", I call selfish.

If you really analyze Severson's game, about 50% of his terrible gaffs are because he's cheating offensively, cherry-picking, or outright refusing to get back on defense, even if the other team secured possession in the offensive zone (he's hoping a teammate forces a turnover to continue offensive play).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He's had 5 years as a pro. I don't think a new coach or system is going to 'fix' him.

He had like half a season under NJD Bench, then the rest of the time under whatever the heck this 'system' is, and none of the young D have really gotten much better under Hynes and Nas. We all thought Santini was gonna be a big deal too but he looks like another guy playing in an era ten years too late for his skillset. Maybe Butcher but he was already pretty polished before getting here, and still has his limits.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's only the Severson thread until the next Zajac *****ing or Zacha moaning starts.

The goalies have been almost a nonstop hot-button issue here for five years since 2014, that's why they have their own thread. The coaching doesn't really have its own thread but the Hynes extension more or less has turned into that.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Some teams need a PMD , thats what Severson is. Trade him while he has value.

We dont need him. Shero is the king of drafting PMD. The hope is he can find a few actually good at defense

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Severson is fine on your second pairing and would be great as a third pairing guy if somehow we managed to trade for or offersheet someone like Trouba.... so your right side for next year becomes Trouba, Vatanen, Severson.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Severson is fine on your second pairing and would be great as a third pairing guy if somehow we managed to trade for or offersheet someone like Trouba.... so your right side for next year becomes Trouba, Vatanen, Severson.

I would assume Winnipeg would want Severson in a trade for Trouba, which I would love. Trouba is awesome and they can't pay him what he is worth.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Severson has more value as a trade chip than as a 3rd pairing Dman. Considering Smith is likely on the 3rd pairing next year I would hate to play him with Sevs

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I would assume Winnipeg would want Severson in a trade for Trouba, which I would love. Trouba is awesome and they can't pay him what he is worth.

He also supposedly wants out of Canada. I’m fine moving Severson as part of a deal for him, a top2 on the right side of Trouba/Vatanen would be great, the Devils upgrade two spots with one deal and I wouldn’t be that concerned with whoever the RHD3 is. If the Devils could get Trouba without Severson or Vatanen and get Severson a solid defensive LHD to play with, even better but I don’t see the Devils having the assets to do all of that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Would be great and get Severson a defensive LHD too....can’t see it happening though.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
He also supposedly wants out of Canada. I’m fine moving Severson as part of a deal for him, a top2 on the right side of Trouba/Vatanen would be great, the Devils upgrade two spots with one deal and I wouldn’t be that concerned with whoever the RHD3 is. If the Devils could get Trouba without Severson or Vatanen and get Severson a solid defensive LHD to play with, even better but I don’t see the Devils having the assets to do all of that.

If Winnipeg wants a top 4 D replacement on the cheap who will be in his prime for their cup run years, Severson is a good fit for them. We would have to add prospects/picks to get it done. Could be something to aim for at the draft. our second is basically a late first this year so that could be in play. Idk how many teams are able to trade a young RHD on a good contract who can play 2nd pair for their window.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If Winnipeg wants a top 4 D replacement on the cheap who will be in his prime for their cup run years, Severson is a good fit for them. We would have to add prospects/picks to get it done. Could be something to aim for at the draft. our second is basically a late first this year so that could be in play. Idk how many teams are able to trade a young RHD on a good contract who can play 2nd pair for their window.

Great point. I wonder how Winnipeg would value Severson given all of the deficiencies talked about here that I’m sure their scouting notices. Severson + picks and prospect(s) for Trouba would be great for the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad