Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
So there is a decent contingent of Devils fans in MTL?
I went up for the weekend, I'm from New York, but there was def no shortage of Devils fans, not sure how many were local though. There were even a few dueling chants going on in the upper areas.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I went up for the weekend, I'm from New York, but there was def no shortage of Devils fans, not sure how many were local though. There were even a few dueling chants going on in the upper areas.

That's great. I think the team probably has more fans than the old guard want to believe.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
from Friedman's 30 thoughts:

Artemi Panarin freezing all contract talks until after the season is another earthquake reminding teams that players are more willing than ever to maximize their leverage. Eight months after Tavares took one further step than 2016 Steven Stamkos, Panarin’s preparing everyone for a similar meet-and-greet. Tampering rules prevent open statements of lust, but jockeying is underway for an audience.
This will force teams to make even earlier assessments about their star players. Trade them at the draft a year before they hit the market? One exec said his team, if unsure about ability to contend, could weigh doing it even earlier — two trade deadlines before unrestricted free agency. There were rumours New Jersey would consider that path with Taylor Hall, currently available in July 2020. But Devils GM Ray Shero said Saturday there was “zero chance” he would trade Hall this month. (Nor, from what I understand, is Hall looking to go anywhere.)

wonder if this will quiet any of the "speculation" here....

also:

19. Besides Hall, New Jersey’s got a few interesting pieces. Brian Boyle stands out, with the Athletic’s Arthur Staple indicating the Islanders have interest. (Of course, now that this is out there, Lou Lamoriello will refuse to do it. True story: When the Cory SchneiderBo Horvat trade went down, he told Vancouver that if he heard someone break it in the seconds before Commissioner Gary Bettman announced it at the draft podium, he’d cancel the deal.) You can see Marcus Johansson and Ben Lovejoy— both unrestricted — having an appeal. There’s a decision to be made on Keith Kinkaid, too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

also:

There really has been zero indication he wants to leave. The only thing that will force Hall out is if we get cheap on him.

If ownership ponies up then he will sign.

The Zach situation was different as he absolutely was giving off signs he was considering leaving when he took that one year deal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t think anyone seriously thought Hall would be dealt in the next few weeks, especially with him being on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

also:

Lou’s kremlinlike penchant for secrecy was not something to be admired outside a bunker or weird conspiracy theory society meeting. Who cares if VAN let its beat writer break the trade two minutes early. So what.

Imagine if Lou could have traded Parise to MN pre UFA by a week or so after Parise told him he wasn’t re-signing amd in return got a mid first round pick and a good prospect for MN to get a head start on negotiating but Lou backed out because the trade broke after it was agreed to but before it was officially announced. And then Parise signed with MN anyway.

At a certain point he’d just be cutting off his nose to spite his face but he’d do it to prove something to everyone because being tough is more important than making good decisions.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I was moreso referring to the "Hall doesn't want to go anywhere" part

Are you expecting Hall or his group to tip their hat to Elliot Friedman or any other outsider?

I'm not saying that he's lying but taking a pro players word as if he's being 100% truthful is just silly. Just look at what Parise and Tavares said to their own fans.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hall won't get to UFA as a Devil. Thats the difference. He'll be traded before that ever happens.

Parise and Tavares said those things while getting to UFA. In hindsight, everyone knew they were gone

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hall won't get to UFA as a Devil. Thats the difference. He'll be traded before that ever happens.

Parise and Tavares said those things while getting to UFA. In hindsight, everyone knew they were gone
Im nervous Shero will let it linger into the season. Hall cannot play if he isnt signed

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

True, I can't say otherwise in regards to both guys being pending UFA's but the majority of this board was adamant that Parise was coming back after signing that 1 year deal. I can't say the same about the Islanders fan base since I didn't pay any attention to them last year mostly because we were in the hunt to make the playoffs and couldn't care less about the rest.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Dollars

Hall - 7 years, 10M
Hischier - 8 years, 7M
Butcher - can he be bridged to keep RFA status? 1-2 years at 4.5M
Vatanen - 5-6 years, 6M

Each one could rise a million but i think those are realistic. Reason i dont see Hall taking 11 is he has that attitude about winning that leads guys to give actual discounts. Buteven at 11mil its fine.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
True, I can't say otherwise in regards to both guys being pending UFA's but the majority of this board was adamant that Parise was coming back after signing that 1 year deal. I can't say the same about the Islanders fan base since I didn't pay any attention to them last year mostly because we were in the hunt to make the playoffs and couldn't care less about the rest.
Every teams fan bases thinks their players are staying - its the nature of being a fanatic

Hall hasnt done anything to show his hand one way or the other

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Lou backed out of a deal if an employee releases all the details. He doesn't care if some blowhard throws out speculation about Brian Boyle being a good fit for NYI

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Are you expecting Hall or his group to tip their hat to Elliot Friedman or any other outsider?

I'm not saying that he's lying but taking a pro players word as if he's being 100% truthful is just silly. Just look at what Parise and Tavares said to their own fans.

There hasn’t been any indication Hall wants out though. Not even a hint. Everything he has said, Shero has said, ownership has said, and even little bits like the Friedman quote point to all sides being on board in getting a deal done.

The only evidence for the other side is bascially lingering paranoia from the Parise situation.

Could things change? Sure. Things could pop out in the beginning of the offseason to make people believe he won’t sign, but we aren’t there yet.

As of today with what we know right now. There simply isn’t enough of a reason to worry about it, or to actually believe he wants to bolt. Definitely nothing like the big red flag that was Zach’s one year deal.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
There hasn’t been any indication Hall wants out though. Not even a hint. Everything he has said, Shero has said, ownership has said, and even little bits like the Friedman quote point to all sides being on board in getting a deal done.

The only evidence for the other side is bascially lingering paranoia from the Parise situation.

Could things change? Sure. Things could pop out in the beginning of the offseason to make people believe he won’t sign, but we aren’t there yet.

As of today with what we know right now. There simply isn’t enough of a reason to worry about it, or to actually believe he wants to bolt. Definitely nothing like the big red flag that was Zach’s one year deal.
But what exactly did Tavares do to make people think he was leaving?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Consistently drag his feet when it was time to reup
But before he entered his final season there, he didnt lead anyone to believe he was leaving.

Thats my point with Hall - do I think hes leaving? No but he hasnt done anything to show me the odds arent somewhere between 75/25 and 50/50 that he stays. Especially if the guy wants to win as badly as it seems, that works against us. However if he wants to win but be a big hand in it, then it helps us

Its all speculation but my point is Hall hasnt done anything to show his hand either way, so I think its reasonable to be skeptical. Now if Shero lets Hall enter the season without a contract, then im convinced hes leaving as well as questioning Shero’s stay here

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Dyr2_-6V4AAPYX7.jpg

Another stat that shows how good Butcher has been this year. Vatanen and Greene, not very good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad