Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If this team had any chance of a turnaround it was firing hynes in mid-November but instead they extended him. This team played below its talent level and has shown little heart. It seems like everyone is on board with ‘trusting the process’.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Remember when they brought McLeod up and made a big deal about it then gave him a cup of tea in a game and sent him down. Yeah. I think this teams analytics staff trusted the simulations more than it’s fans.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This is out in left field tonight, but,... can anyone answer the question as to what the hell was/is actually wrong with Hall to be out for about 1.5 months now with about ZERO explanation as to what is wrong? What kind of injury was so bad that they're not willing to even share news what it is, and he's literally be out 1.5 months from a game and nothing going on in terms of information.

We all used to make fun of Lou back in the day about everything hush hush, but this one takes the cake in recent memory.

Not that it matters now for the rest of the season, but the fact that the organization, media and everyone pretty much was 100% zipped up silent on this, is really frustrating and it indicates really poor fan relations.

The reason this came up to me is after watching such a listless 3rd period, I thought about how the organization and it's future, then i thought about Hall being MIA for just about 1.5 months with literally no communication during this timeframe as to what the hell is going on...

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This is out in left field tonight, but,... can anyone answer the question as to what the hell was/is actually wrong with Hall to be out for about 1.5 months now with about ZERO explanation as to what is wrong? What kind of injury was so bad that they're not willing to even share news what it is, and he's literally be out 1.5 months from a game and nothing going on in terms of information.

We all used to make fun of Lou back in the day about everything hush hush, but this one takes the cake in recent memory.

Not that it matters now for the rest of the season, but the fact that the organization, media and everyone pretty much was 100% zipped up silent on this, is really frustrating and it indicates really poor fan relations.

The reason this came up to me is after watching such a listless 3rd period, I thought about how the organization and it's future, then i thought about Hall being MIA for just about 1.5 months with literally no communication during this timeframe as to what the hell is going on...

well they can't publicly announce they're tanking :P

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Have we crossed that line from being awful, to outright tanking?

Considering how Hall's in witness protection now and their best goalie's in the minors it's a possibility.

Watch us get stiffed in the lottery now that we're seemingly overtly tanking.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
well they can't publicly announce they're tanking :P

It's almost true........ with the way they're going CIA blacksite on him.

The reason i asked earlier question also is, my kids wanted to get a chance to see Hall play live and they've pretty much lost all hope so far. It's like he's been out forever, can't even plan a game for them cause NJ has had crickets on it.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
If this team had any chance of a turnaround it was firing hynes in mid-November but instead they extended him. This team played below its talent level and has shown little heart. It seems like everyone is on board with ‘trusting the process’.

Not going to restate my entire post from the game thread, but this is completely false. It’s not on coaching, it’s essentially poor luck and horrible goaltending. Hynes is going to be a very solid coach moving forward.

Would be more than happy to change my opinion if someone could point to tangible numerical evidence of this being Hynes’ fault, rather than pointing to esoteric things like “heart” and “leadership.”

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
With Kinkaid and Cory as the goalies and no Hall and Vatanen, we are pretty much guaranteed to have a bottom 5 record to close out the year. What a waste of a season.

Given the critical importance of young affordable elite players in the league and the Devils desperate need for an infusion of talent, I would say a bottom 5 record is far from a waste of a season. It could actually be crucially important in taking the next step.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Not going to restate my entire post from the game thread, but this is completely false. It’s not on coaching, it’s essentially poor luck and horrible goaltending. Hynes is going to be a very solid coach moving forward.

Would be more than happy to change my opinion if someone could point to tangible numerical evidence of this being Hynes’ fault, rather than pointing to esoteric things like “heart” and “leadership.”

You don't need numbers for this analysis, just look at the product on the ice with your eyes!

Look at the system breakdowns, look at the backdoor/open man play goals we give up. Look at players and defenders cycling high up in the defensive zone doing man marking at their own blue line (Vats for example, but others have done it too), completely ignoring zone coverage what is considered basic sound defensive fundamentals.

Look at the collapses after taking a lead. 2-0 against Rangers ends up 3-4 loss in final 2 periods. The blowouts, the close game losses (or games that were close turned to blowouts in 3rd period). They're just piling up all season.

I don't think you need to collect some crazy stats for this, to be honest. Coaching impact (negative) is also huge this season (special teams PP fail).

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
You don't need numbers for this analysis, just look at the product on the ice with your eyes!

Look at the system breakdowns, look at the backdoor/open man play goals we give up. Look at players and defenders cycling high up in the defensive zone doing man marking at their own blue line (Vats for example, but others have done it too), completely ignoring zone coverage what is considered basic sound defensive fundamentals.

Look at the collapses after taking a lead. 2-0 against Rangers ends up 3-4 loss in final 2 periods. The blowouts, the close game losses (or games that were close turned to blowouts in 3rd period). They're just piling up all season.

I don't think you need to collect some crazy stats for this, to be honest. Coaching impact (negative) is also huge this season (special teams PP fail).

Those breakdowns are fairly common throughout the league (other than maybe the very elite teams), but when your team is losing and your goalies can’t cover some mistakes, then everything is magnified. Watch other teams and see how often it happens. It’s not rare.

Hynes is 15 times more intelligent about hockey than anyone else on this board. He spends essentially all of his waking hours breaking this stuff down. There’s zero chance that this is some systemic failure that he’s overlooking and/or failing to communicate.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There are two ways for a young player to grow: be around greatness or keep pushing yourself through the mud because no help is coming. The best is to have both in one career.

Ultimately, if Nico, Bratt, etc. are the real deal, seasons like this cannot be separated from their future success. Easy example we all know is that the 2012 team does not go that far without 2011.

I don't think I can get too down on this season because it's not exactly a surprise.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Those breakdowns are fairly common throughout the league (other than maybe the very elite teams), but when your team is losing and your goalies can’t cover some mistakes, then everything is magnified. Watch other teams and see how often it happens. It’s not rare.

Hynes is 15 times more intelligent about hockey than anyone else on this board. He spends essentially all of his waking hours breaking this stuff down. There’s zero chance that this is some systemic failure that he’s overlooking and/or failing to communicate.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Hynes doesn’t understand hockey or spend all of his time working at it...it’s his job. Most coaches do the same, but that doesn’t stop coaches from failing.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Given the critical importance of young affordable elite players in the league and the Devils desperate need for an infusion of talent, I would say a bottom 5 record is far from a waste of a season. It could actually be crucially important in taking the next step.

Yea, I’m excited at the prospect for the infusion of young top talent. The Devils need to acquire more and this will help. If the Devils drafted a little higher in 15 & 16 you’re looking at a much different team.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ehh if all we get out of it is RNH, or god forbid, Yak, then it was indeed a total waste.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Ehh if all we get out of it is RNH, or god forbid, Yak, then it was indeed a total waste.

Well the way things are trending we're soon to be a lock for a top 5 pick. So that's something like a 40% shot at Hughes/Kakko, otherwise a stud like Bowen Byram. Don't think it'll be a waste as long as we're picking top 5. Outside of that, who knows, we could end up with another Zacha.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
The speed game isn't the same as last season.
The goaltending isn't the same as last season.
We have no real size.
We can't knock anyone off the puck along the boards.
We can't get to a puck first along the boards.
We can't get the puck out of our zone when pressured.
The PP blows.
Passes more often than not seem to be to the wrong side of the receiving player OR right at their skates.

Other than that, it's a well oiled machine.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I mean... do those who think winning a top 5 pick this summer really believe it will change our look? At all?

If it isnt a top 2 pick the likelihood the player is in the NHL next year are slim. So, what, we sucked for a high pick and people expect some change of scenery from this season? Besides obvious additions that MUST be made in the off-season, I think folks see Matthews/Marner/Laine/Pettersson and think that thats how its going to go down and will fix our woes.

The folks who claim a top 5 pick is what we 'need' are the same people who will be dumbfounded when the team is in the exact same position next year. They just keep wanting top 5 picks thinking they are the solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad