Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The speed game isn't the same as last season.
The goaltending isn't the same as last season.
We have no real size.
We can't knock anyone off the puck along the boards.

We can't get to a puck first along the boards.
We can't get the puck out of our zone when pressured.
The PP blows.
Passes more often than not seem to be to the wrong side of the receiving player OR right at their skates.

Other than that, it's a well oiled machine.
this stat was disproved by a chart of average height/weight of teams (there are some really good small teams out there like the lightning) as well as the rankings of teams by # of hits (also a few good teams near the bottom)

Reactions: Bleedred

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I mean... do those who think winning a top 5 pick this summer really believe it will change our look? At all?

If it isnt a top 2 pick the likelihood the player is in the NHL next year are slim. So, what, we sucked for a high pick and people expect some change of scenery from this season? Besides obvious additions that MUST be made in the off-season, I think folks see Matthews/Marner/Laine/Pettersson and think that thats how its going to go down and will fix our woes.

The folks who claim a top 5 pick is what we 'need' are the same people who will be dumbfounded when the team is in the exact same position next year. They just keep wanting top 5 picks thinking they are the solution

We have a guy named Hischier and you're really trying to say stuff like this? It absolutely does make a difference, if there is good drafting. One of hughes (though i think he'll be winger in his first yr) or kakko will help quite a bit because (outside of our idiotic defense) our main issue on offense is depth.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We have a guy named Hischier and you're really trying to say stuff like this? It absolutely does make a difference, if there is good drafting. One of hughes (though i think he'll be winger in his first yr) or kakko will help quite a bit because (outside of our idiotic defense) our main issue on offense is depth.
Okay and if we pick 5? What then, we get a player who comes in 1-2 years down the line... and guess what? we will likely have picked top 5 AGAIN by then

This is the exact problem with people who have this idea that tanking is necessary to be a Toronto/Tampa type team (which is ironic because neither have won a thing yet). People think these picks are saviors and then wonder why the team is still in last place the next year, and then the next year...

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
And that recent comment has me thinking

I wouldn't doubt it at all if Hall wont sign until he sees enough improvement in the roster (on paper). Guy asked for additions before this season and got only subtractions, so if we go another off-season with nothing more than a middle six forward/ middle pair defenseman, I dont see how he signs.

Which leads me to another question - who would you rather get rid of first then, if it was one or the other? Hall or Shero?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The team's size is in question partially because its best players are smaller, finesse types but mostly because the coaching is bad. Hynes has overseen some of the softest Devils teams in our lives. I'm not talking about tough guys, push-back or any of that stupidity. I'm talking about how a Blake Coleman puts everyone to shame because he can calibrate when to really work for a 50/50 puck vs. when to try for a quick transition opportunity. It's teachable when you have the right teacher.

Our PK will be a top 10 PK for as long as it has Coleman, Zajac, Zacha and Hischier. I don't think Nasreddine deserves much credit there.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Okay and if we pick 5? What then, we get a player who comes in 1-2 years down the line... and guess what? we will likely have picked top 5 AGAIN by then

This is the exact problem with people who have this idea that tanking is necessary to be a Toronto/Tampa type team (which is ironic because neither have won a thing yet). People think these picks are saviors and then wonder why the team is still in last place the next year, and then the next year...

Without taking into consideration of if the player drafted is good or not, but assuming they do well, that player would likely be able to come in a year later. Next season we will have more of our d-prospects able to fill in, where most of our problems lie anyways. That plus we'll have more of our forward prospects jumping in.

Using a team like the oilers as an example of why building through the draft is bad is hilarious. They were just straight up garbage at drafting. A team like TML would be much better if they had actual defense, and I wanna say goalie as well but I don't really follow them enough to know how their goalie situation is.

Just having top picks isn't going to win you a cup, but having those top picks puts you in the best position to use those picks to get you to a cup.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well they already fired poor Rachel Doerrie (see the profile in the Athletic) for no real good reason other than 'reorganization'.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I just really hope Ty Smith never gets to play for this current coaching staff.

Yeah, let’s hope he doesn’t play for this coaching staff who have actually taken the time to develop young players and give them responsibility and minutes. A coaching staff who has extensive experience with the USNTDP. It’s really hurt Hischier, Blackwood, Butcher, Bratt and Zacha playing for these guys.

Let’s hire a vets coach like we had with DeBoer and let Smith sit on the bench for the majority of the game.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

It's part of building a proper team. Adding bluechip prospects on an ELC is more important then you think. Will that prospect lead us to the playoffs, absolutely not but he'll be a key piece in the team moving forward and that's all I care about... moving forward.

This team won't add all the pieces you want in an single offseason and there's key areas that needs to be rectified sooner rather then later. Are we going to be a playoff team next year, I don't personally think so unless Shero goes out and adds a #1 LHD, a #2 RW and a legit #2C.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018

I wouldn't doubt it at all if Hall wont sign until he sees enough improvement in the roster (on paper). Guy asked for additions before this season and got only subtractions, so if we go another off-season with nothing more than a middle six forward/ middle pair defenseman, I dont see how he signs.

Which leads me to another question - who would you rather get rid of first then, if it was one or the other? Hall or Shero?

huge subtractions like healthy scratch john moore and losing UFA's we traded for and weren't on the roster to start last year in the first place.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Yeah, let’s hope he doesn’t play for this coaching staff who have actually taken the time to develop young players and give them responsibility and minutes. A coaching staff who has extensive experience with the USNTDP. It’s really hurt Hischier, Blackwood, Butcher, Bratt and Zacha playing for these guys.

Let’s hire a vets coach like we had with DeBoer and let Smith sit on the bench for the majority of the game.

Man...poor Larsson. Never got to fully develop to his potential.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Shouldn't a player win at least round in the playoffs by the time he is 27 before he earns the right to be player/GM?

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Without taking into consideration of if the player drafted is good or not, but assuming they do well, that player would likely be able to come in a year later. Next season we will have more of our d-prospects able to fill in, where most of our problems lie anyways. That plus we'll have more of our forward prospects jumping in.

Using a team like the oilers as an example of why building through the draft is bad is hilarious. They were just straight up garbage at drafting. A team like TML would be much better if they had actual defense, and I wanna say goalie as well but I don't really follow them enough to know how their goalie situation is.

Just having top picks isn't going to win you a cup, but having those top picks puts you in the best position to use those picks to get you to a cup.
Great post. There is a difference between strategy and execution.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
What if Hall isn't hurt and just doesn't want to play for this dumpster fire?

i know hall is a touchy subject here but honestly why would he resign here? a 5 game playoff series? i mean maybe there are some signs of improvement but its not resulting in on ice product/standings.

i still say if hall doesn't sign the first week into ufa then he has to be moved before the season starts.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I mean... do those who think winning a top 5 pick this summer really believe it will change our look? At all?

If it isnt a top 2 pick the likelihood the player is in the NHL next year are slim. So, what, we sucked for a high pick and people expect some change of scenery from this season? Besides obvious additions that MUST be made in the off-season, I think folks see Matthews/Marner/Laine/Pettersson and think that thats how its going to go down and will fix our woes.

The folks who claim a top 5 pick is what we 'need' are the same people who will be dumbfounded when the team is in the exact same position next year. They just keep wanting top 5 picks thinking they are the solution

a top 5 pick could potentially change a LOT. maybe not immediately, but you have to have patience.

if you want an immediate change, then ray will have to overpay 3-4 UFA's this summer and hope it doesn't blow up in his face like it blows up in almost every team's face after making a July 1 splash. i don't want to be on that path. i want to acquire as many draft picks and prospects that we can at the trade deadline, sign 1-2 guys (preferably short term, high cap hit) and have a ridiculously strong draft. all of those things happening can have a huge impact, but again, you need to be patient

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

It's not as much about drastically changing the look of the team, as it is about changing the composition and direction of the organization. A top-5 pick absolutely improves the trajectory of the team, even if the effects aren't felt immediately. If we land Hughes or Kakko and the effects are felt from Day 1, then that's gravy.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here - and, frankly, I think this is you talking to yourself again. I haven't once seen someone claim that lottery picks are the solution; they're certainly a solution that can fast-forward a rebuild, but they're definitely not a cure-all.

You're bashing a narrative that no one really pushes.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
a top 5 pick could potentially change a LOT. maybe not immediately, but you have to have patience.

if you want an immediate change, then ray will have to overpay 3-4 UFA's this summer and hope it doesn't blow up in his face like it blows up in almost every team's face after making a July 1 splash. i don't want to be on that path. i want to acquire as many draft picks and prospects that we can at the trade deadline, sign 1-2 guys (preferably short term, high cap hit) and have a ridiculously strong draft. all of those things happening can have a huge impact, but again, you need to be patient

this team needs a 2c badly i'm not saying theres one out there to get but all i know is zacha can't be anywhere but the 3c and zajac shouldn't be the 2c.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
This isn't the draft thread, but as of right now we are in a good spot to get Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Krebs, Zegras etc which can all fill a hole we desperately need. That is something that shouldn't be understated and I know most people just want to be good right now, but we aren't good right now so why not just look at what we could be getting in the draft and how it could set us up down the road positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->