Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XlV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You people are ridiculous. Complaining about the defense ALL YEAR but not ONE defenseman brought up is good enough

I hope none of you seriously expect a top pair defenseman to be added to this squad.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think Pesce is a good enough player and I think that might a guy to target potentially. However, I am not giving up Palmieri for him
I wouldn't offer Palmieri for him either but thats the ONLY top 6 forward we have to offer. Not Hall, Hischier, Bratt isnt worth enough nor do I want to move him... thats it for our concrete top 6 forwards.

Pesce doesnt move unless its a top 6 forward one has to imagine

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Are Myers or Pesce much better than Vatanen or Severson? Getting marginally better (if at all) at RD isn't going to help if we're still rolling with Greene, Mueller, and Butcher at LD.

Reactions: Billdo

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
pesce can definitely be a top 4 defenseman. i would package bratt or wood to acquire him

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are Myers or Pesce much better than Vatanen or Severson? Getting marginally better (if at all) at RD isn't going to help if we're still rolling with Greene, Mueller, and Butcher at LD.
I don't think they are better than Vatanen or Severson.

Myers isn't that bad, but I feel he also still has that reputation due to his rookie year.

Is he a UFA? He'll probably get a dumb deal if he is.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think they are better than Vatanen or Severson.

Myers isn't that bad, but I feel he also still has that reputation due to his rookie year.

Is he a UFA? He'll probably get a dumb deal if he is.

Yes, and he'll be 29 this summer, so I'd be wary of giving him the length he'll probably be looking for.

The problem is that it seems like there aren't a lot of LHD that are available. Which is why it would most likely be somebody we're not even talking about, like most of Shero's trades have been.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I'd say Pesce's better than both of them, but they're also different types of defensemen. Pesce would give us something we lack as well. Perhaps trading for Pesce and then dealing Vatanen (I'd rather have Severson but if the return is good enough then him instead I guess) + something for an upgrade to the left side could work out well. But that wouldn't happen anyway.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was thinking that too, but maybe he has some contacts with the Sharks?
He may. I wouldn't rule it out.

They really need to go all in this year.

Vlasic's stupid bullshit contract (he's the Cory Schneider of defensemen right now) and Karlsson likely not being back next year, Pavelski may not be re-signed and Thornton may be done playing after this year. They really need to go for it right now.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Pesce and Myers are third pairing guys?

Holy **** I may just have to log off for the day, clearly its Sunday and peoples brains are off
I was talking Zadarov and Myers. Myers is pretty close to playing 3rd pairing minutes. 5v5 he plays the 5th most minutes amongst d-men, and his most common d-partners are Morrow and Kulikov. He does play a fair amount of pk minutes, but then again, so does Lovejoy, though Lovejoy plays a lot more pk minutes and is much better at limiting goals.

Pesce? I don't really know how good he is, but, he also plays the 5th most 5v5 minutes amongst d-men for his squad. He is the #1 PK'r for Carolina. Still not as many as Lovejoy, and again Lovejoy has done a better job limiting goals. He is younger though, so perhaps there is upside.

Trading Palms for Pesce is comical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devils Dominion

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I wouldn't for Bratt, I may trade off some prospects though

oh i would. bratt’s ceiling- his absolute peak- could very well be a 20-25 goal season. tremendous value for a sixth round pick, but if we don’t have guys in the pipeline that can pick up his slack, we’re in worse shape than i thought. gotta give to get. i’d also be ok with sending wood

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If Pesce is as good as they say then hes a #3 defenseman already

That means we'd be trading a 28 year old top line winger for a 24 year old #3 defenseman.

Jersey boy or not I move Palmieri for a #3 dman whos only 24 and can grow to be a top pair guy.

(IF Pesce is actually that good because everything I read about him is that way but Ive only watched him a few times)

Then trade wonderboy Severson for a forward, preferably a 2C

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
But no matter what we do I doubt this team enters next season without some significant changes

Whether that be Hall being moved, signing some big money FAs, making some pretty big trades, etc...

with the way Shero has spoken all year I get the feeling he wants to push this rebuild along and not let it simmer like the Edmontons and Buffalos did for close to a decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad