Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Discussion in 'New Jersey Devils' started by StvBroDan, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hidden Hair of Hynes

Hidden Hair of Hynes Registered User

While Schneider wouldnt be picked up - once you waive him you essentially are saying youre done here. And if no one claims him then its buyout or eat his cap until its done because I dont see how a guy can respectfully come back after that. Thats the last resort IMO and we arent there yet

2. Bleedred

Bleedred Martin Jones sucks

Carpenter
    He can still come back. We aren’t obligated to keep him in the AHL if we send him there via waivers. I suspect his leash will be very short if he ever gets back in there. The shortest it’s ever been. It might only take a poor 3-5 games or even a really poor 2 or 3 straight games and he’s either sat for the rest of the year and bought out/LTIR if it’s due to literal physical inability or waived and then bought out/LTIR.

I don’t think we’ve seen the last game of Cory for the NHL devils, but I do believe we’re currebtly in the last year of the Cory era here. I bet if someone said in February or March of 2017 or even June of 2017 that were buying out Cammalleri, most reactions would be “no way! He costs too much! We can’t do that!” And maybe even an “Ownership won’t allow it with their internal budget!” Or two from that crowd. Not even after his one goal in 41 games or whatever it was to end that season.

I do also firmly believe we’re in an evaluation period now. It doesn’t mean Mueller will all the sudden be in while Lovejoy is out, but we’re likely gonna start getting more looks at guys who are either question marks or possible answers to see if they’re part of a solution going forward. Much like we saw with guys like Coleman, Blandisi, JQ and Michael Kapla in late 16-17. Most of whom did either little to nothing with that. We’ve already exhausted most of the guys that are in Binghamton and will get a real look, with Anderson (injured), Seney and Blackwood up. McLeod is the only one that’s still there, who might be something. I wouldn’t rule out Studenic possibly getting a look or two as well.

3. Cult of Hynes

Cult of Hynes Hynes is never wrong.

Its actually stupid to keep both Kinkaid and Schneider since the season is gone. Might as well see what Blackwood can do for an extended period of time.

Bleedred likes this.
  4. Cult of Hynes

Cult of Hynes Hynes is never wrong.

Lol you think a goalie on the wrong side of thirty with lower body injury problems, that hampers his already not so athletic style of play before the injuries, can not only regain his form, but be apart of the teams future lol?

Bleedred and Patrik26 like this.
  5. Hidden Hair of Hynes

Hidden Hair of Hynes Registered User

is that not what Luongo did?

6. HaNotsri

HaNotsri Regstred User

Besides goaltending, what are you guys looking for that could help you next year?

7. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Registered User

Defense
    Top6 forwards

8. NJDevs26

NJDevs26 We suck again!

He wouldn't have even had to ask for a trade, he could have just signed elsewhere instead of reupping after 2014 when the team was already clearly trending downward. It's not neccesarily he doesn't want to win, just for some guys family life actually does come before team success. He sure didn't seem inclined to move his family when he had FA opportunities.

They probably should have been there in December but the 'injury' saved them and now they can just play him in meaningless games if they want. It'll be interesting to see the way they go with this. They could do one of three things the rest of the year I suppose:

A) Send Blackwood down which would be a quasi-tank move given the way he's played so far and the way the other two have played.
    B) Waive/trade KK. I don't think KK has any trade value period at this point, so they'd probably have to waive him, which I'd rather not do given Cory's situation. He'd be likely to get picked up.
    C) Waive Cory. Yes the nuclear option but the atmosphere with Cory/the team/fans is toxic right now. Maybe you give him a few games in 2019 and see if the tide turns now that he doesn't have to hear about '0 for 2018' anymore and there's no pressure left on these games.

9. HaNotsri

HaNotsri Regstred User

Any interest in any of these from Buffalo?
    Sheary - started the season really well, tries hard but nothing is really working for him since november. Overpayed, 3.0 cap hit for one more year. Doesn’t help him that we don’t even have a legit 3C behind Eichel...
    Would pot some goals playing with a 2C or 3C.

Scandella - legit top four last year, started this year really bad but is now skating like his old self again. 4.0 cap hit next year. We have a surplus of LHD and not enough roster spots at the moment. Probably our best trade piece besides picks.

If you are looking for a puck mover Beaulieu has looked pretty good this year. Stuck behind our other d, would play if we trade Scandella.

We need a 3C, wingers. Would be happy even for an upcoming UFA in return.

Our GM has gone on record saying he’ll only trade a first for a young player that will help us long term,

10. MartyOwns

MartyOwns i’ll ask daneyko

sounds like you need brian boyle for a 2nd and a 3rd

HaNotsri likes this.
  11. NJ DevLolz

NJ DevLolz Respect Your MVP

Gotta think NJ takes *anything* at this point for Kinkaid. Even if it's future considerations. Blackwood should have a chance to take the mantle, and Cory should have the chance of 10-15 starts to prove to management that he still has something.

12. haak84

haak84 Registered User

dont want to rush blackwood with this dumpster fire of a team. would rather see the devils try to squeeze any sort of value out of kinkaid or schneider before the deadline and give blackwood ahl development time. keeping him down wont stunt his development. if anything i see the current devils cause mental issues for goalies. would rather him be the clear strategy for next season.

13. haak84

haak84 Registered User

luongo is on another level than schneider. same with lundqvist and hes looked toast besides a month a season over the past few years and is younger than luongo yet older than schneider.

14. haak84

haak84 Registered User

people who just want to drop schneider/kinkaid need to provide a solution for next season. we wont be signing bob, howard, miller. lehner will get a big raise and prob wont a multi year starters deal.

there are little to no options in improving at goaltending unless blackwood is the real deal.

15. ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap Registered User

Speculator
    They may need Greene's contract to get to the cap floor next year if Cory is not back. I cannot believe he will be bought out.

16. Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut Nova Nation

it amuses me SO MUCH that you can't just admit Kinkaid has been trash this year. Incredible.

Bleedred likes this.
  17. haak84

haak84 Registered User

he hasnt been good. i never said that. it amuses me that people think good goaltending would help this trash team. or cant admit that the goaltending looks much worse because the teams defensive system is garbage.

kinkaid has had a real bad rough stretch. it happens to goalies. he hasnt been consistent or good enough to show the team should invest in him more.

not sure how you can see that as me defending kinkaid or saying that hes performed average much less well.

18. Zajacs Bowl Cut

yeah poor goaltending is definitely better than good or even average goaltending

what are you even talking about?

Bleedred likes this.
  19. Zajacs Bowl Cut

20. haak84

haak84 Registered User

what? this team makes the goaltending look worse moreso than the goaltending making the team look worse. even with good goaltending this is still a crap team.

21. haak84

haak84 Registered User

and again if kinkaid is trash than so is a majority of goalies in this league. which is what the devils would have to choose from. so hes pretty much a replacement level or slightly above replacement level right now.

22. Zajacs Bowl Cut

23. Devil X

Devil X Call me Nostradamus

Didnt even realize that MarJo was that close to returning.

Thats a good thing.

My3Sons likes this.
  24. haak84

haak84 Registered User

seriously what is so hard for this board to understand that with the devils current team an average goalie would have around 13 wins and. .904 save % and a 2.9 gaa. eye test confirms this with their terrible play for long stretches of time. kinkaid has performed slightly below that. that is not TRASH or TERRIBLE. look at schneider if you want to use those adjectives.

that doesnt mean i think kinkaid has performed well or that he should be the starter. i also think he has no future here unless he wants go sign a one year deal. because at the end of the day there are little to no alternatives and no one has provided with a solid plan when talking about dropping kinkaid/schneider.

25. NJDevs26

NJDevs26 We suck again!

At times you really do need a change for change's sake. You can't just recycle the same goaltending tandem where one guy who has a 3 GAA and a sub .900 save percentage is actually the better option because there's not all that many 'proven' options out there (which may be true but pretty much all the unproven options still have better splits and deserve their own chance over bringing back the same old crap).

You either get another run of the mill vet to back up Blackwood if he does enough to win the starting job going into next year, or try to find next year's Lehner, a tweener starter on a short-term deal if he's not and maybe bring back KK as the clear backup this time. You don't go with the same failed tandem expecting different results.

Bleedred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.