Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quick is a butterfly goalie
If he's a butterfly goalie, I fail to see how Kinkaid isn't also.

Who isn't a butterfly goalie in today's game?

Quick plays closer to Hasek or Marty than anyone in the league today.

Quick actually plays more like Mike Richter than probably Hasek or Marty though.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Agree with you on both Hart and Blackwood but not at all on the last part.

Cory's played historically better than he has now because before his decline started 26 months ago in real time, he was one of the best goalies in the league. It's like saying in 2013 ''Marty has historically played better than we've seen the past year or two'' but like Cory now, Marty had been declining by that point and it had been a trend of multiple years by that time. 100 games is nearly 30% of his total career now. It's like saying ''Well, Luongo and Lundqvist have played much better in their careers than this year'' Yeah, no **** they have, it's called a decline.

The smart money is to play Blackwood so we can see if he's ready to make the NHL full time next year or not, then to send him back if he starts to struggle. Better to find that out this year than next year when he might have a full time spot. That doesn't mean we have to play him every game or anything, but give him starts like we were.

And it's because we aren't making the playoffs that it's now an evaluation period. It's not about playing Blackwood to see if we can make a playoff push at this point. It's because we know what Schneider and Kinkaid are right now. A very poor and chronically injured NHL caliber goalie at best and a career NHL backup. We don't know about about Blackwood yet to say anything definitively.

Schneider and Kinkaid have no future here. Schneider at the very least isn't good enough to be an NHL starter anymore. Kinkaid never was good enough to be an NHL starter. Neither of these guys are the future and I'd give it a 70%-ish chance that neither are here next year.

Blackwood may or may not have a future here and we'll find out more about him by playing him more down the stretch.

Kk looked good until the defense stopped showing up... both last seaosn, worlds, and start of this year. Cory while performing worse, was also burnt alot by the poor defense.
If kk has a strong second half, I think they could consider giving him a starters role and a raise for a FEW years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Kk looked good until the defense stopped showing up... both last seaosn, worlds, and start of this year. Cory while performing worse, was also burnt alot by the poor defense.
If kk has a strong second half, I think they could consider giving him a starters role and a raise for a FEW years.

oh please

he has been terrible this year

I don't understand why some of you guys just can't admit that

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm 95% sure the Devils won't be giving him a starters role and a few year contract after this year, no matter how well he plays in the second half.

Some other team? I don't think so either, but I wouldn't put it at 95% that he won't, like I would the Devils not giving him a starters role next year.

If he's given a new contract by us, it will be for 1-2 years and at $1.5 million per year.

I don't think management is as high as on him as you are, unless you are telling me you're Ray Shero's HF Boards account?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For our pending UFAs, I would say:

Boyle -- 2nd round pick
Johansson -- late second or possibly a young forward he takes the place of (Burakovsky?)
Lovejoy -- 4th round pick but I would not be surprised to see a team needing a reliable third pairing defender for PK give up a third.
Noesen -- DSP/Matteau type swap. Rieder, Nichushkin, Czarnik, Pitlick, etc. just for a wide variety of some names

Reactions: Verdoux

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pump the brakes on Hart. He's still too new to definitively say he's better than Kinkaid.

Any goalie can beat any other goalie on any given night in the NHL.

You've been saying they've been better than us position by position for years and yet we have a winning record over them since that time. We probably have more wins over them in the last 6 or 7 years than any other team in the league, if I had to guess.

Until this year, the Devils and Flyers have basically found two different ways to end up in similar spots in the standings.

The flyers have had a ton of talent for a while now. However, they just haven't figured a way to get the most out of their players. They would have teams talented enough to compete in the playoffs, but would miss on the back of significant periods of time just not showing up to play. Their forwards have also always been horrendous at defense and no one bothered to teach them how to play that part of the game. And of course, the goaltending situation.

We have had such a tiny amount of talent for many years now, but the team would usually show up to play. They would be solid in their own zone, and get very good to incredible goaltending, but be utterly unable to execute any kind of offensive play. They would lose by a goal just because they completely lacked the talent to hang with other teams.

With the Flyers talent, and the Devils goaltending and structure (of the past few years, not this one), you'd have a hell of a team. Instead you have two bottom third of the league teams.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i could see Boyle getting traded to tampa for a 3rd + Koekkoek

edit: nvm just saw koekkoek got traded today

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Give Palms the captaincy. Upgrade the defense with two acquisitions, get a right shooting top 6 forward and they should be good to go for next season if they can get average goaltending.

I agree, I’d go after 2 defensemen and a RH forward. I’d even target a short term vet like Martinez from LA to provide stability for two years. He shouldn’t cost a mint and the team can focus on drafting and developing young defensemen to step in down the road. If they can shoot higher, do it. I’d monitor the Trouba sir in WPG. If he wants out of Canada Ray needs to be all over it. He can push Vats or Severson down and make the other a potential trade piece, assuming neither goes in a deal for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
they need at least 2 new DMen next year, I would agree with that

I think one of them is going to be Ty Smith. The other one needs to come via trade because by the looks of it, free agency stinks (past Karlsson)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
oh please

he has been terrible this year

I don't understand why some of you guys just can't admit that

he's been below average with a recent rough stretch, where the team has barely showed. he can still turn it around.

schneider has been terrible.

kinkaid was 4-0 with 2 SO and a 1.00 GAA and .961 save % to start the season. He started out as hot as Blackwood. Blackwood has been great and he was good in a game where he let in 5 goals even. The more he plays for this team the more games like that he'll be in.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't see any point in trading Greene for a 3rd if I am being honest
If your looking to open up a potential spot for an upgrade next year.

Say we have Butcher and Smith, can we find someone to handle the tougher minutes to protect those guys?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Also consider when trading these guys taking picks from future drafts. It think it's best to spread those picks as opposed to having too many picks in one draft, and it could increase the return as future picks of similar range are thought to have less value.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Until this year, the Devils and Flyers have basically found two different ways to end up in similar spots in the standings.

The flyers have had a ton of talent for a while now. However, they just haven't figured a way to get the most out of their players. They would have teams talented enough to compete in the playoffs, but would miss on the back of significant periods of time just not showing up to play. Their forwards have also always been horrendous at defense and no one bothered to teach them how to play that part of the game. And of course, the goaltending situation.

We have had such a tiny amount of talent for many years now, but the team would usually show up to play. They would be solid in their own zone, and get very good to incredible goaltending, but be utterly unable to execute any kind of offensive play. They would lose by a goal just because they completely lacked the talent to hang with other teams.

With the Flyers talent, and the Devils goaltending and structure (of the past few years, not this one), you'd have a hell of a team. Instead you have two bottom third of the league teams.

More likely the Flyers are not as talented as some gave them credit for and we were more talented then we were given credit for.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
they need at least 2 new DMen next year, I would agree with that

I think one of them is going to be Ty Smith. The other one needs to come via trade because by the looks of it, free agency stinks (past Karlsson)

If we’re including Smith, then I’d like 3. Two defensemen with at least some experience.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I disagree that we need more than Smith and one extra defenseman nor do i think its realistic to assume such a thing

no way we get rid of two of Greene Mueller Santini

how many teams have replaced HALF their defense in one off season?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
can i get a venn diagram of posters who want to win a bunch of games this year so that we’ll establish some mighty ducks 3 winning culture they’ve romanticized as well as posters who want to trade off all available players including our captain? just curious about something

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad