Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
At times you really do need a change for change's sake. You can't just recycle the same goaltending tandem where one guy who has a 3 GAA and a sub .900 save percentage is actually the better option because there's not all that many 'proven' options out there (which may be true but pretty much all the unproven options still have better splits and deserve their own chance over bringing back the same old crap).

You either get another run of the mill vet to back up Blackwood if he does enough to win the starting job going into next year, or try to find next year's Lehner, a tweener starter on a short-term deal if he's not and maybe bring back KK as the clear backup this time. You don't go with the same failed tandem expecting different results.

i dont disagree with any of this and my tone and opinions have reflected this over the past month. i just think kinkaid is just as likely to be next years lehner as anyone else. blackwood is unproven and its not fair to hand him the reigns to this dumpster fire. an average goalie on this team is closer to a 3 gaa and .900 save % then a 2.75 gaa and .910 save %. also sub .900 is a like saying something is $99.99 instead of $100

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Greene will most certainly be gone after next season so the fact that he’s the captain of this terrible team doesn’t mean anything to me.

the question wasn’t ‘what does it mean to you?’...it’s what does it mean to this supposedly fragile group of players. ‘won’t somebody please think of the children’ etc.

any players that lose the will to win, and start listening to my chemical romance, shopping at hot topic etc because we lose to the flyers today would need to be institutionalized after seeing half the team, including their very well-liked captain, get traded.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i dont disagree with any of this and my tone and opinions have reflected this over the past month. i just think kinkaid is just as likely to be next years lehner as anyone else. blackwood is unproven and its not fair to hand him the reigns to this dumpster fire. an average goalie on this team is closer to a 3 gaa and .900 save % then a 2.75 gaa and .910 save %. also sub .900 is a like saying something is $99.99 instead of $100
This team cant afford to wait and find that out

Kinkaid cannot be anything more than a true backup next year which he likely wont be

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
This team cant afford to wait and find that out

Kinkaid cannot be anything more than a true backup next year which he likely wont be

First, the team isn’t good enough to have the luxury of patience. Second, finding another plug and hoping they have success like Lehner is not going to necessarily be a more efficient process. Third, if Blackwood drops the ball then we are worse off than before. If not at the same exact point. So either Blackwood is the real deal or we....?

We’ll see, not enough quality goalies around the league to designate Kinkaid as a true backup. That’s my issue with a majority of posters takes on here.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
2019 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Just for reference. Kinkaid is legit one of the better goalies on that list. Which says more about the quality of goalies around the league than it does Kinkaid abilities. Which is my point all along.

It’s easier to improve this teams defensive structure and system than its goaltending. I just don’t see any initiative to do that from the front office.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Even though that is not my point or the debate, Lol he will start at least 30 Games next season.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Sure teams are lining up to sign mike smith or Cam Talbot as their number 1 heading into the offseason. The quality of goalies around the league is a joke. This board needs to realize we ain’t got the best but it’s the best we’re going to get.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sure teams are lining up to sign mike smith or Cam Talbot as their number 1 heading into the offseason. The quality of goalies around the league is a joke. This board needs to realize we ain’t got the best but it’s the best we’re going to get.

taking Blackwood out of the equation, our goalies have been unquestionably bottom 3 this year

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
taking Blackwood out of the equation, our goalies have been unquestionably bottom 3 this year

Taking Schneider out of the equation they’re bottom 10.

Again it’s semantics but only one goalie has been TRASH or TERRIBLE for this team.and it ain’t Kinkaid. He’s been poor or below average.

If Kinkaid had a 3.2 gaa with a .880 save % I would say he’s been trash even for this team. But he doesn’t so he hasn’t really been as bad as this board claims. Don’t get me wrong, he hasn’t been good but when you look at comparables around the league and watch this dumpster fire of a defense wtf do you expect?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Be gentle, it’s just a passing thought that I had....with how terrible everyone says Severson is in his own zone and with his obvious offensive gifts, would it make sense to entertain moving him to RW if the Devils acquire a top pairing RHD?

It’s been done a few times in the past, some successful and others complete failures. I’m just thinking that the Devils obviously need defensemen who are competent defenders, of which Severson is questionable at best. They also are thin on the right side in their forward group. With the drafting and development of more offensive-minded defenders, the team should have enough in that regard from the back end. A top pairing RHD pushes Vatanen down to the second pair and it would be a waste to have Severson on the third.

Maybe the best way to turn Severson into a forward is to trade him for one. Maybe it’s too late in his career to contemplate such a move. Maybe it’s best to just leave him as he is and get a partner for him on the left side who can cover for his deficiencies. I don’t know, it just seems the team is going to have to be creative to fix its problems.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Even though that is not my point or the debate, Lol he will start at least 30 Games next season.

I'd bet the under pretty hard on that. He's been below-average this year, he has no long history of being good, he'll be 30 in July - he's a backup goalie. If he starts 30+ games, the starter got injured for a significant period.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'd bet the under pretty hard on that. He's been below-average this year, he has no long history of being good, he'll be 30 in July - he's a backup goalie. If he starts 30+ games, the starter got injured for a significant period.

goalies that are scheduled to start 30 games this year that are replacement level or worse than kinkaid:

anders nilsson
cam ward
jonathan bernier
philip grubauer
louis domingue
james reimer
mike smike
cam talbot
jake allen
corey crawford
petr mrazek
craig anderson

heres the goalies from that list who currently make less than kinkaid:
louis domingue (1.15 mill to 1.25 mill)

again i don't think kinkaid is good but thats close to the list of people you're choosing from. unless blackwood who looks more and more like the real deal. so kinkaid at the same price for 20-25 games next season would make sense. unless cory can return to at least kinkaid level goaltending.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I hope Ray vultures enough assets at the deadline to trade up at the draft because Blackwood is going to play us to about the 10-12 pick range

I'm very conflicted about that, but honestly, if MB proves he's the real deal, screw it, he can play us out of a top draft pick, because he's looking like he'll be a hell of a starter for us for a long time and finding a great starting goalie is worth more than a top pick to us (considering we'd otherwise be stuck with Kinkaid and the ginger turd).

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Not for nothing, but the top of the draft this year doesn't appear to be as superstar-likely as previous years. Not the worst thing in the world for a goalie to cement himself as a #1 while we go on a fun run.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
goalies that are scheduled to start 30 games this year that are replacement level or worse than kinkaid:

anders nilsson
cam ward
jonathan bernier
philip grubauer
louis domingue
james reimer
mike smike
cam talbot
jake allen
corey crawford
petr mrazek
craig anderson

heres the goalies from that list who currently make less than kinkaid:
louis domingue (1.15 mill to 1.25 mill)

again i don't think kinkaid is good but thats close to the list of people you're choosing from. unless blackwood who looks more and more like the real deal. so kinkaid at the same price for 20-25 games next season would make sense. unless cory can return to at least kinkaid level goaltending.

I don't care how much Kinkaid makes; he was signed as a backup goalie and that's what a backup goalie makes. I'm not resenting his below-average play, but that's what he's doing this year. The weakest goalies in the league will be replaced with goalies from Europe or the minors - Ward and Smith will probably be gone and Schneider might be as well. In addition, a lot of these people will regress towards their personal mean.

Kinkaid will once again be signed as a backup goalie unless his play this season seriously improves. It'll be up to him whether he goes somewhere with a young goalie in waiting or an older goalie on the decline who he might steal starts from.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I don't care how much Kinkaid makes; he was signed as a backup goalie and that's what a backup goalie makes. I'm not resenting his below-average play, but that's what he's doing this year. The weakest goalies in the league will be replaced with goalies from Europe or the minors - Ward and Smith will probably be gone and Schneider might be as well. In addition, a lot of these people will regress towards their personal mean.

Kinkaid will once again be signed as a backup goalie unless his play this season seriously improves. It'll be up to him whether he goes somewhere with a young goalie in waiting or an older goalie on the decline who he might steal starts from.

Lol what? First, those aren’t even the weakest goalies in the league. That’s Schneider. But people are cool with him playing more games for this team as opposed to the undrafted goalie who got us in the playoffs last year. Second, would love to know all of these euro/minor goalies that are going to take over. I listed 10 goalies scheduled to start 30 games. Good luck finding 3-4 goalies from outside the nhl that will outplay and outperform current league goaltenders.

So you really think Blackwood is good for 55 starts next season? Much less 45? I’m not sure at this point. But the posters saying they never wanna see Kinkaid start for this team again are out for lunch. Or would be ok with cam ward picking up 25 games at 3 million a year. I don’t care either way.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Not for nothing, but the top of the draft this year doesn't appear to be as superstar-likely as previous years. Not the worst thing in the world for a goalie to cement himself as a #1 while we go on a fun run.

I don’t think the Devils’ chances of getting Kakko or Hughes was good anyway. I was (still am) hoping for Cozens or Byram. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm very conflicted about that, but honestly, if MB proves he's the real deal, screw it, he can play us out of a top draft pick, because he's looking like he'll be a hell of a starter for us for a long time and finding a great starting goalie is worth more than a top pick to us (considering we'd otherwise be stuck with Kinkaid and the ginger turd).

After this god awful season I’d like the reward of a top player. But, MackBlack needs to develop and he needs playing time. The timing isn’t good for our draft position, but I wouldn’t want to stunt the kid’s growth. Maybe Kinkaid will still start enough and Schneider will still get some games lol.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lol what? First, those aren’t even the weakest goalies in the league. That’s Schneider. But people are cool with him playing more games for this team as opposed to the undrafted goalie who got us in the playoffs last year. Second, would love to know all of these euro/minor goalies that are going to take over. I listed 10 goalies scheduled to start 30 games. Good luck finding 3-4 goalies from outside the nhl that will outplay and outperform current league goaltenders.

My usual move here is to just paste the text I wrote so you have a chance to read it again, but a lot of these guys are signed for next season and will still be in the league. I expect that Nilsson, Reimer, Grubauer, Domingue, etc. will still be here next year. Ward and Smith are well over 30 and at least for Ward he has a very long history of being subpar, so he will likely be gone and Smith will probably go also. So who's coming in? Delia, Blackwood, Hart, and Demko. The rest of the free agent goalies in the league will move around, as they do. There will be some additions from Europe as well.

I also don't know why you insist on mentioning that Kinkaid was undrafted. Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph were also undrafted. It doesn't matter when the player is 29 years old.

So you really think Blackwood is good for 55 starts next season? Much less 45? I’m not sure at this point. But the posters saying they never wanna see Kinkaid start for this team again are out for lunch. Or would be ok with cam ward picking up 25 games at 3 million a year. I don’t care either way.

I think it's possible. I don't know if Kinkaid will be back. Him being back here is the most likely place for him to get 30+ starts, but I would still take the under on it. He could get injured, but more likely is that he's just a backup goalie somewhere.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
My usual move here is to just paste the text I wrote so you have a chance to read it again, but a lot of these guys are signed for next season and will still be in the league. I expect that Nilsson, Reimer, Grubauer, Domingue, etc. will still be here next year. Ward and Smith are well over 30 and at least for Ward he has a very long history of being subpar, so he will likely be gone and Smith will probably go also. So who's coming in? Delia, Blackwood, Hart, and Demko. The rest of the free agent goalies in the league will move around, as they do. There will be some additions from Europe as well.

fair enough. I think ward would find at least a back up spot somewhere. not sure about smith. i just think the bar is lower for goalies around the league because the quality is lower and its dependent on team play.

I also don't know why you insist on mentioning that Kinkaid was undrafted. Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph were also undrafted. It doesn't matter when the player is 29 years old.

its more because i don't understand the vitriol that some poster's have to a goalie whose never really cost us anything. we wouldn't be a good team with good goaltending this season. when we really needed him most he helped carry us into the playoffs. hes always been on a reasonable contract. if he starts 25 games next year, i'm cool with that. if he starts 40+ that means blackwood isn't ready, cory's done and we don't have any other options. i'm not so cool with that.

I think it's possible. I don't know if Kinkaid will be back. Him being back here is the most likely place for him to get 30+ starts, but I would still take the under on it. He could get injured, but more likely is that he's just a backup goalie somewhere.

i could see him being de facto starter on a bad team next year. starts the season as heavy backup or platoon role than the team/starter is awful and he takes over. that would mean he needs to sign with a bad team. hes a solid backup on a good team with a world class netminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad