Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
The Devils will likely need to sign someone to get to the floor if Cory is bought out/on LTIR. The problem with the players you listed is they will have multiple suitors if they make it to FA and the term they will command. Shero addressed this.

""I've said all along, with the support of managing partners, Josh (Harris) and David (Blitzer), that you don't build a team that's rebuilding through free agent signings that would handcuff you in 3-to-4 years," Shero said. "Doing something for the sake of getting a little bit better, or to just say you're doing something, is patchwork and not a plan. There's only one way to do this. The idea is to build something that once you do build it, you're in a good position each year to have a chance to make the playoffs and at a certain point you're considered a Cup contender."

Five Questions with Ray Shero

I personally would have no interest in Karlsson, Duchene, or Bob. Panarin and Stone will be highly sought after. Signing high priced UFA's is no way to build a team long term. When these types of contracts go bad they can really hurt a team as those players become unmovable due to high salary.
I'm not implying Shero to act impulsively and go on a shopping spree this summer. I'm just saying we have a ridiculous amount of cap space and we can easliy afford to make a move without consequences. I think it would be pretty awesome to have a Karlsson on our blueline or a Panarin upfront.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Thought exercise here so obviously hypothetical

But the team looks drastically different if you consider the following:

-Zacha becoming a 2C by next season
-Blackwood being a starting goaltender
-One of Mueller/Santini/Butcher becoming a top 4

Along with cap space and the draft, the team would look vastly different

I think one of those three things happening is very likely

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Thought exercise here so obviously hypothetical

But the team looks drastically different if you consider the following:

-Zacha becoming a 2C by next season
-Blackwood being a starting goaltender
-One of Mueller/Santini becoming a top 4

Along with cap space and the draft, the team would look vastly different

I think one of those three things happening is very likely

All three are very likely. Well maybe the second one isn't VERY likely. Lovejoy is gone after this year so I'd bet it's Santinis job to lose.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I'm not implying Shero to act impulsively and go on a shopping spree this summer. I'm just saying we have a ridiculous amount of cap space and we can easliy afford to make a move without consequences. I think it would be pretty awesome to have a Karlsson on our blueline or a Panarin upfront.

The studies on NHL players are clear. They are peaking by age 28. By definition a high salary with long term to a 27-28 year old FA is a high risk move that could have consequence in 3-4 years or so.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
All three are very likely. Well maybe the second one isn't VERY likely. Lovejoy is gone after this year so I'd bet it's Santinis job to lose.
Blackwood would be the biggest positive, followed by Zacha and then one of the three youngsters.

Zacha has had Couturier all over him since the second half start of last season. High end talent with size and great IQ, offensively stunted but brilliant defensively.

One of the dmen breaking out is almost in our favor, odds-wise.

Blackwood certainly has NHL starter ahleticism and flexibilty, he seems to see pucks VERY well and is patient... if he can fight through the teams bad games like the last 7-mins of today’s game, he will have the gamebreaking talent a starter needs in this league - the ability to win his team games when they cant themselves

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Small play in the grand scheme but significant to me while I was there. A Carolina player hit Nico from behind near their bench. Wasn't horrible but it wasn't a good play. Bratt went right over and cross checked the Canes player into their bench. The guy embellished it a ton, ref even went by and tapped him with a "cut the shit" type of feel. Nice to see Bratt stand up for his teammate. This team genuinely seems to enjoy being with this group.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
The studies on NHL players are clear. They are peaking by age 28. By definition a high salary with long term to a 27-28 year old FA is a high risk move that could have consequence in 3-4 years or so.
Sometimes you gotta take some risks to try and improve. Shero stayed idle this offseason, we lost some players... IMO I don't think he's staying idle this summer. Devils have a solid foundation, add a decent young player this draft and a couple decent free agents... this team could easily bounce back.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
A lot of chatter about the Devils being 3-0-1 without Hall, but it’s also important to note that they’re winning games without Johansson.

Regardless of where the team is at the deadline, I see Johansson as expendable. Hopefully he’s able to get back on the ice and string together some points to maximize our return. I don’t think Shero will have a issue getting a 2nd round pick or so for him.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Maybe I’m greedy, but even if Zacha continues to play like this and establishes himself, I still want the Devils to get another top6 center and have him on the third line. Maybe it’s because I’ve resigned myself and gotten used to the idea that that’s where he’ll be, but I also think of Devils’ hockey as 4 strong lines. Zacha wouldn't have to be just a third line shutdown player, he could grow into a top defensive player who also contributes significant offense.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I think its becoming crystal clear that cory will not be in the lineup the rest of the year. I'm all for riding the hot goalie, in this case its blackwood. Maybe a mental break for kk is what he needs to get back to oct/nov form.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think Noesen is back. He had a great game today but I don't see him being back.

I’m a Noesen guy, but I tend to agree with you.

One of the best and most noticeable parts about Noesen’s game is how he always finishes his checks. When he’s playing his best, he’s incredibly effective along the boards and with possession.

I’d like to fill that void with a player who does those same things, but also provides some scoring touch and upside. Niederreiter comes to mind, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see Minnesota move him and his contract to shake things up - they’re getting sick of being a forever bubble team that spends to the cap.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
A lot of chatter about the Devils being 3-0-1 without Hall, but it’s also important to note that they’re winning games without Johansson.

Regardless of where the team is at the deadline, I see Johansson as expendable. Hopefully he’s able to get back on the ice and string together some points to maximize our return. I don’t think Shero will have a issue getting a 2nd round pick or so for him.

id be ok with that

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Maybe I’m greedy, but even if Zacha continues to play like this and establishes himself, I still want the Devils to get another top6 center and have him on the third line. Maybe it’s because I’ve resigned myself and gotten used to the idea that that’s where he’ll be, but I also think of Devils’ hockey as 4 strong lines. Zacha wouldn't have to be just a third line shutdown player, he could grow into a top defensive player who also contributes significant offense.

if we get the kind of top 6 (either internally with mcleod etc or externally) that pushes zacha down to a bottom 6 role where he belongs, we’ll be in really good shape. offensively, anyway

Reactions: MichaelJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
no one could have predicted Cory's downfall and I agree it's was a solid contract at the time
overall the Devils don't really have any bad contracts, I guess some people think Zajac is overpaid but he's consistently been solid and fits the bill as a "Devil" type of player

Karlsson
Panarin
Stone
Duchene
Bob
Hayes would be a nice pickup like it was stated above
some very interesting names this summer, Devils can easily afford to offer and match a serious contract

Just so long as Hall signs first and is ok with the other guy making more. I don’t see anyone signing for anything less than absolute top dollar other than Hall who I expect to take market but not absolute top dollar.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think its becoming crystal clear that cory will not be in the lineup the rest of the year. I'm all for riding the hot goalie, in this case its blackwood. Maybe a mental break for kk is what he needs to get back to oct/nov form.

If you mean the calendar year, yes I agree, Schneider won't play on Monday. If you mean the season, you're being ridiculous - Schneider just started working out off-ice. Without setbacks, he should be playing by February at the latest.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Only UFA I'd be interested aside from the big guys (Stone, Duchene, Karlsson, etc.) would be Ferland.

Would love to add his versatility and power forward game.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I came in to read about Zacha. Watched the Devils vs Canes game today and he stood out to me. I think he definitely has top 6 potential in him still. Some guys take longer, but it's good to see many people here aren't too down on him.

As for your comment about top 6 centres, I can tell you that you are completely right in wanting another one. This summer when Tavares signed here in Toronto, there were detractors who said we already had Matthews and Kadri and didn't need another top center. Those people are eating their words now and can see how valuable center depth is. We went from a line with a first and second line to a team with two first lines and a second. Makes a huge difference when you can outscore most problems.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Any team adds Tavares if they can. It doesn't prove anything when you add a perennial all-star.

And you can't outscore your problems in the playoffs.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I came in to read about Zacha. Watched the Devils vs Canes game today and he stood out to me. I think he definitely has top 6 potential in him still. Some guys take longer, but it's good to see many people here aren't too down on him.

As for your comment about top 6 centres, I can tell you that you are completely right in wanting another one. This summer when Tavares signed here in Toronto, there were detractors who said we already had Matthews and Kadri and didn't need another top center. Those people are eating their words now and can see how valuable center depth is. We went from a line with a first and second line to a team with two first lines and a second. Makes a huge difference when you can outscore most problems.

Thanks for the insight, I agree, depth is of course very important and TML are proving it. If Zacha plays on the third line, defensively responsible enough for the role but with the offensive talent of a top6 C, opposing teams will never get to rest. Two first lines and a second is exactly what I was thinking....I’d go even further, with (for example) a fourth of Coleman-McLeod-Anderson it could give the Devils two first lines, a second, and a third if not middle6 capable line.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I suspect those who didn't want Tavares were worried about your cap concerns. It remains to be seen how it works out after re-signing Mathews and Marner. You may be left with nothing to add a good D man, and have bottom of the barrel 3rd and 4th liners. It works for some teams though.

Reactions: smitty10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad