Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'll keep Zajac and Coleman together.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Seney-Bratt
Boyle-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Noesen
IDK if seney can carry a line.

But not bad lines, esp if you balance usage depending on how they're doing each night. Just because a line is listed 4th doesn't necessarily mean itll get the least amount of time

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Man, I cant wait for Ty Smith to be on this team. Got player of the game tonight for Canada. Was looking like Duncan Keith out there tonight. Hunter was pissed off at him in the Denmark game for taking 1 minute shifts and not keeping it under 40 seconds.

Which is a weird thing to complain about. Him and Dobson IMO have been the best dmen on the team, yet they are used as a bottom pairing when they should be getting way more minutes.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
They make no sense. Seney can’t handle that role and Zacha is needlessly demoted.
Seney hasn’t been given a chance at 2C, so we don’t know yet if he can handle the role.

Zacha has already had been given a chance all season and he has failed as 2C. Playing with Wood and Noesen, he has finally found his spot in the lineup. He’s a bottom 6 forward, that may become the team’s 3rd line Center when Zajac retires.

I wouldn’t count on it. I think McLeod is a better prospect and Zacha future is probably traded.

Reactions: Quest for Stanley

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Seney-Bratt
Boyle-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Noesen

Certainly looks like we need that 2C from this years draft. Zacha doesn’t need to be demoted this far though, just patients.

Did we have Maroon with Wood and Zacha last year at all? Seems like that wouldve been a great fit with their hard cycling and his passing skills.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Certainly looks like we need that 2C from this years draft. Zacha doesn’t need to be demoted this far though, just patients.

Did we have Maroon with Wood and Zacha last year at all? Seems like that wouldve been a great fit with their hard cycling and his passing skills.
I'm not sure that has to be a demotion. If you roll all 4 lines equally, or at lest the bottom 3 lines equally, it doesn't really matter where you happen to write their names on a sheet of paper.

To me, it's also not about promotion or demotion. It's about chemistry. For example, if Zacha suddenly starts scoring at a high rate on that line combo, do you move him up to take the 2C slot again? I wouldn't.

Your comment about Maroon is interesting. Imagine moving Boyle to slot into what Maroon was doing next to Wood and Zacha, then reunite the Coleman-Zajac-Noesen shutdown line. It seems he could be a similar player in a similar role. The only danger is that you're putting all your size on a single line, but if it works, it works.

Speaking of size, the biggest problem with those lines is MarJo-Seney-Bratt. Seems they'd be steamrolled by physical teams.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Seney-Bratt
Boyle-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Noesen

200w.gif

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Again, demoted is only because he's shown as a 4th line. If you ignore line #, it's totally fine

We have a tendency to think 4th line means least minutes, but why can't we have 3 2nd/3rd lines

Because that's not generally how ice time distribution works - because of power plays and penalty kills, it's very hard to balance ice time between all the lines at ES.

Seney has played mostly with 4th liners but it doesn't appear like he's driving anything on that line - his Corsi with and without Boyle is functionally the same, so it's hard to put his struggles on Boyle. I like his shiftiness and there's clearly some skill there, but he's still learning the defensive zone - I see no reason to increase his responsibilities.

NJDevs86

Nov 4, 2018
Orlando, Florida
Forward lineup when healthy this year:

Hall-Hischier-Palmeri
Marjo-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Coleman
Boyle-Seney-Noesen

There is no true 2nd or 3rd lines as they are both balanced so it doesn’t matter who we call the 2C between Zajac and Zacha and they could be switched here. However, Wood and Zacha always seems to work together.

Forward lineup next year

Hall-Hischier-Palmeri
Boqvist-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Seney-McLeod-Anderson

Again Zajac and Zacha are interchangeable but I have Zacha up with the 2 skilled guys as he is a year older and hopefully more developed and Zajac is a year older. Marjo, Noesen, Stafford and Boyle will be gone. Any additions push guys down and make this a much deeper group up front. Doesn’t look all that bad.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Don't you mean "Let Cory go next year"?

Why the hell would they let Big Mac go? :huh:

You’re taking it too literally. He means go in net for us next year and letting Kinkaid walk.

It’s probably the most sensible move, as I’m sure it won’t be easy to find a taker for Schneider either way and I sincerely doubt they have any interest in buying him out.

If Mac continues to show this much promise, it allows you to try and be patient with Schneider to further recover and maybe find his game to get his value back up.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Interesting article by Chris Ryan:
What Devils assistant coach Rick Kowalsky sees in Mackenzie Blackwood’s development

Kowalsky also said the structure and control of an NHL game, compared to the AHL, has benefitted Blackwood. Instead of more unpredictability in terms of what players do in front of goalies, Blackwood has leaned on and trusted the Devils' NHL defense, allowing him to zone in on shooters and focus on his mechanics.

Makes me shudder to think our AHL D is even more unstructured.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t understand the fear of taking a buyout on Cory.

Is it the buyout cap hit? Or fear we might be buying out a still good goalie? I understand the cap hit reason, but don’t understand any fear in thinking an almost 33 year old goalie that has a .903% over his last 100 games (.901% over his last 96 regular season games played) might not be bad. And even with cap concerns, we bought out Cammalleri a couple years ago. Only he had 2 years left instead of 3.

If we’re bringing Cory back next year, he needs to prove to be serviceable first and he needs to do it for a significant stretch of games. His play has been homely as all hell for 25 games now and poor for 100 games. He’ll be 33 next year. I think people are way too optimistic about him bouncing back. He’s looked worse than Marty ever did at the end.

At the very best he might still be serviceable, but he’s still a very bad goalie at this stage. 100 games of decline can’t be ignored. That’s almost the last 30% of his total career. He’s now the goalie equivalent of if Taylor Hall scored only 50 points over his last 150 games. That’s how shot he is.

I think we might be looking at an LTIR situation for him. I’m starting to more than ever believe that.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Also from Chris Ryan (Devils' Pavel Zacha is taking advantage of ice time: 5 observations, studs and duds from win vs. Hurricanes | Mackenzie Blackwood, Andy Greene)

"With a young goalie, you want to make sure you're not forcing him into big-time or a lot of situations where he needs to make big saves," Greene said. "We want to let him make the first save, then let us get the rebound, clear it, let us get sticks, let him see the puck and let him get comfortable. "

Um... shouldn't we be doing that for ALL our goalies? What the hell are we teaching them out there?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Seney hasn’t been given a chance at 2C, so we don’t know yet if he can handle the role.

Zacha has already had been given a chance all season and he has failed as 2C. Playing with Wood and Noesen, he has finally found his spot in the lineup. He’s a bottom 6 forward, that may become the team’s 3rd line Center when Zajac retires.

I wouldn’t count on it. I think McLeod is a better prospect and Zacha future is probably traded.

this kind of stuff is semantics. most of the season his line was the third one out at even strength but now since he's listed like that in the pregame lineup he's playing '3C'.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t understand the fear of taking a buyout on Cory.

Is it the buyout cap hit? Or fear we might be buying out a still good goalie? I understand the cap hit reason, but don’t understand any fear in thinking an almost 33 year old goalie that has a .903% over his last 100 games (.901% over his last 96 regular season games played) might not be bad. And even with cap concerns, we bought out Cammalleri a couple years ago. Only he had 2 years left instead of 3.

If we’re bringing Cory back next year, he needs to prove to be serviceable first and he needs to do it for a significant stretch of games. His play has been homely as all hell for 25 games now and poor for 100 games. He’ll be 33 next year. I think people are way too optimistic about him bouncing back. He’s looked worse than Marty ever did at the end.

At the very best he might still be serviceable, but he’s still a very bad goalie at this stage. 100 games of decline can’t be ignored. That’s almost the last 30% of his total career. He’s now the goalie equivalent of if Taylor Hall scored only 50 points over his last 150 games. That’s how shot he is.

I think we might be looking at an LTIR situation for him. I’m starting to more than ever believe that.

It’s the money. Buying out Cory would result in paying him $2 mil for another 6 years. Yeah we don’t have cap issues but that is such an unnecessary sunk cost when there are goalies that have proven it takes 2 years to recover from that surgery.

Kinkaid is in a walk year. If Mac proves he’s capable over a prolonged period of time this year, let Kinkaid walk and go in with Schneider hopefully having less pressure and see if he can re-establish some value. Then you can maybe entertain a buyout if he falters or move him if Mac continues to show he’s the real deal and Cory gets himself right again.

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s the money. Buying out Cory would result in paying him $2 mil for another 6 years. Yeah we don’t have cap issues but that is such an unnecessary sunk cost when there are goalies that have proven it takes 2 years to recover from that surgery.

Kinkaid is in a walk year. If Mac proves he’s capable over a prolonged period of time this year, let Kinkaid walk and go in with Schneider hopefully having less pressure and see if he can re-establish some value. Then you can maybe entertain a buyout if he falters or move him if Mac continues to show he’s the real deal.
I do hope that we can hold off on buying out Cory for one more year, but we definitely can't have him here for the remainder of his contract. He's likely only going to get worse, as he's gotten even worse the last 2 years since this drop off a cliff first happened. If he was plateauing in poor play and not getting worse and worse, he'd probably be okay to play as a backup for one more year, then either an amnesty or a regular buyout the next year, with only 2 years remaining on his deal. Though I think the buyout cap hit would still be $2 million per, only it would be for 4 years instead of 6.

As I've said though, I think there's a decent chance he's not as bad as he's been to start this year, but I also don't think he's as good as he was for the first 28 games last year. I think he might be somewhere in the middle, which is a serviceable, but still very poor NHL caliber goalie.

If he really is as bad as he's shown this year, it likely means that he's very close to landing on the LTIR sooner than later, as it could be detrimental to his long term health after hockey to continue to play like this.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood let loose a couple of really poor rebounds early in the game, both in the 1st period I think, but he definitely got a lot better after that.

I do notice he was protecting the short side better yesterday than in his first couple games. It's likely Rollie talked to him about that and pointed it out.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Forward lineup when healthy this year:

Hall-Hischier-Palmeri
Marjo-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Coleman
Boyle-Seney-Noesen

There is no true 2nd or 3rd lines as they are both balanced so it doesn’t matter who we call the 2C between Zajac and Zacha and they could be switched here. However, Wood and Zacha always seems to work together.

Forward lineup next year

Hall-Hischier-Palmeri
Boqvist-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Seney-McLeod-Anderson

Again Zajac and Zacha are interchangeable but I have Zacha up with the 2 skilled guys as he is a year older and hopefully more developed and Zajac is a year older. Marjo, Noesen, Stafford and Boyle will be gone. Any additions push guys down and make this a much deeper group up front. Doesn’t look all that bad.

Way too much youth in that line-up.

Ideally, I'd prefer to add a middle-six RW (let's say Ferland for the sake of the discussion) and have one more older fourth line forward (let's say we keep Noesen).

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri
Bratt - Zacha - Ferland
Coleman - Zajac - Anderson
Wood - Seney - Noesen

Let McLeod/Boqvist earn their spots in the line-up, push any of the bottom six forwards down a peg, or be ready to step in in case of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad