Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I do hope Blackwood comes back and, this may sound crazy, but I hope Schneider comes back soon because I want Kinkaid traded to a team like Toronto.

Toronto or another contender will pay kindly for a solid backup like Kinkaid, and we wont be signing him most likely.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I do hope Blackwood comes back and, this may sound crazy, but I hope Schneider comes back soon because I want Kinkaid traded to a team like Toronto.

Toronto or another contender will pay kindly for a solid backup like Kinkaid, and we wont be signing him most likely.

Some team will offer him a starters job
.. give him defense and hes a solid goalie.

Idk why so many are so high on blackwood already. Yes he looks good, but this time last yr he couldn't last in the ahl. To me that says wait before proclaiming hes the next Brodeur.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Idk why so many are so high on blackwood already. Yes he looks good, but this time last yr he couldn't last in the ahl. To me that says wait before proclaiming hes the next Brodeur.
Im not proclaiming anything - but Kinkaid will not and should not be re-signed even if Blackwood falters and Schneider enters LTIR.

We would then go for a trade route or free agent signing, I want nothing to do with signing Kinkaid as a starter for this team.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I have about as much confidence in Kinkaid as I do in Schneider right now.

On a scale of 0-10 Kinkaid is a 1.5 and Schneider is a 0000000.

One of The Hockey News articles I read today compared Kinkaid to Darling’s last season in Chicago and whoever signs him this summer might end up regretting it. I don’t think the writer is that far off on the comparison. Darling is definitely worse, but Kinkaid doesn’t exactly scream 60 game starter either. Don’t think Kinkaid gets Darling money or term though.

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

A) I highly highly doubt anyone makes Kinkaid the starter. MAYBE a 1a/1b type thing but even then I would be surprised.
B) um, did you watch any of the games the past 2 weeks....?

or he was still developing? What about how he looked in the AHL this year?

a couple of you guys are weird Kinkaid fanboys

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
A) I highly highly doubt anyone makes Kinkaid the starter. MAYBE a 1a/1b type thing but even then I would be surprised.
B) um, did you watch any of the games the past 2 weeks....?

or he was still developing? What about how he looked in the AHL this year?
Wasnt good at the start of this ahl season. I still maintain we called him up in a good stretch for him. I dont judge a goalie based on a winning streak, bc anyone can win and play well with confidence. I take more weight in how you handle a losing streak and how you play through it. How do you play when you cant rely on confidence? May sound stupid, but playing goalie is 75% mental. Wedge looked good in the ahl and in his first few games... then we all saw what happened after things didnt go his way.

That's the way I judged kk yrs ago and said he had the skills to be a starter, just needed work on his consistancy. I got blasted by most, if not everyone, on here for that call. Well, hes our starter, and has been for around a year now. I would be surprised if hes not a #1 for a team next year.

They called up Johnson... I do like the skillset he has, but clearly has a way to go to develop more.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

You nailed it. How any real knowledgeable hockey fan could think after 5 or 6 games that Blackwood is a starter or backup goalie in the NHL blows my mind.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Wasnt good at the start of this ahl season. I still maintain we called him up in a good stretch for him. I dont judge a goalie based on a winning streak, bc anyone can win and play well with confidence. I take more weight in how you handle a losing streak and how you play through it. How do you play when you cant rely on confidence? May sound stupid, but playing goalie is 75% mental. Wedge looked good in the ahl and in his first few games... then we all saw what happened after things didnt go his way.

That's the way I judged kk yrs ago and said he had the skills to be a starter, just needed work on his consistancy. I got blasted by most, if not everyone, on here for that call. Well, hes our starter, and has been for around a year now. I would be surprised if hes not a #1 for a team next year.

They called up Johnson... I do like the skillset he has, but clearly has a way to go to develop more.

I will be absolutely shocked if some team signs him to be the unquestionable #1

he was the #1 for most of this year and look how its gone so far

also re: Blackwood: its almost as if young goalies take a bit of time to develop....

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I mean, I haven't seen anyone claim that Blackwood will be anything definitively either way, so I Think thats a bit of a straw man

but if you aren't encouraged by what you have seen so far, I don't know what to tell you. He has been our best goalie this year and it isn't really even close or debateable.

Reactions: nugg

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I will be absolutely shocked if some team signs him to be the unquestionable #1

he was the #1 for most of this year and look how its gone so far also re: Blackwood: its almost as if young goalies take a bit of time to develop....

I will hold my "you should be shocked post" until later.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think he may get a starters job next year, but here's the thing. It will likely be for a rebuilding team (think Vancouver) and it will be a team that probably doesn't have a good defense, like most rebuilding teams. And he'll probably be signed with the opportunity to compete with somebody else for the starting role, I don't think he's getting a clear cut starting position.

I'd still take him back as the backup here though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Im not proclaiming anything - but Kinkaid will not and should not be re-signed even if Blackwood falters and Schneider enters LTIR.

We would then go for a trade route or free agent signing, I want nothing to do with signing Kinkaid as a starter for this team.
Would it really be the worst thing to re-sign him as a backup? Definitely not to be the starter or 1b though.
I have about as much confidence in Kinkaid as I do in Schneider right now.

On a scale of 0-10 Kinkaid is a 1.5 and Schneider is a 0000000.

One of The Hockey News articles I read today compared Kinkaid to Darling’s last season in Chicago and whoever signs him this summer might end up regretting it. I don’t think the writer is that far off on the comparison. Darling is definitely worse, but Kinkaid doesn’t exactly scream 60 game starter either. Don’t think Kinkaid gets Darling money or term though.
I have much more confidence in Kinkaid than Schneider right now, but only because Schneider looks like burnt toast. He's looked like a crash test dummy almost every time he's played this year. Kinkaid just looks like a backup that's had to be the starter and really shouldn't be.

Reactions: devilsblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad