Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha continues to shred the Canes whenever we play them. Good to see.

Consistency remains the determining factor with this guy. We'll see.

Consistency can improve with age, and he is still young so worth not giving up on him.

Kid absolutely has the goods. You see it when he is out there playing the right way. Just bring it more often and the points will keep coming.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
are the devils actually playing better now or is mb just stealing games...they looked like absolute trash before, goalie included but still.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
are the devils actually playing better now or is mb just stealing games...they looked like absolute trash before, goalie included but still.

It’s mostly MB and the PK unit so far. This run isn’t sustainable if they keep giving up 40 shots a game. They need to help him out more then maybe we can have something here

Reactions: JK3 and My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It’s mostly MB and the PK unit so far. This run isn’t sustainable if they keep giving up 40 shots a game. They need to help him out more then maybe we can have something here

well, it might be if MB actually is the real deal lol. That remains to be seen. I know someone mentioned it before, but if they go on a winning streak they better make the playoffs. I will not be happy if they fall short of the playoffs and have to pick 15 or something.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
well, it might be if MB actually is the real deal lol. That remains to be seen. I know someone mentioned it before, but if they go on a winning streak they better make the playoffs. I will not be happy if they fall short of the playoffs and have to pick 15 or something.

I don't care what goalie it is, nobody survives a 40+ shot onslaught game after game for more than a couple weeks at a time. Blackwood's three starts they've given up 117 shots on net and there was no OT involved. That can't continue, it just can't. I am very encouraged by Blackwood but eventually goals start to leak in with that kind of barrage game after game. Look at what happened to Keith this year, decent-strong early start then collapsed after a few weeks of this nonsense.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't care what goalie it is, nobody survives a 40+ shot onslaught game after game for more than a couple weeks at a time. Blackwood's three starts they've given up 117 shots on net and there was no OT involved. That can't continue, it just can't. I am very encouraged by Blackwood but eventually goals start to leak in with that kind of barrage game after game. Look at what happened to Keith this year, decent-strong early start then collapsed after a few weeks of this nonsense.

And that’s when they can send MBW back down and start KK Corey and Lack in a three man rotation of a downward spiral. Don’t let MBW take a long term beating if the team loses the edge they have so far playing in front of him.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

They've played Carolina, who averages 37 shots a game, and Boston who averages 32 - against Boston, they led the entire game, and they're playing without 2 of their top forwards. They're giving up what they should expect to give up - Blackwood's made the saves, and he won't always do that, but I don't think they played poorly against Boston, and I don't think they played that poorly against Carolina, either.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And that’s when they can send MBW back down and start KK Corey and Lack in a three man rotation of a downward spiral. Don’t let MBW take a long term beating if the team loses the edge they have so far playing in front of him.
He kinda takes a beating down in the A too.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
m6QVWLv.png

Hot off the presses

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
The Devils could very well have the most cap space going into this offseason, and what's going to happen with Cory? He's a prime LTIR candidate... that's potentially alot of money coming off the books. If Shero wanted to, he could offer Panarin the max contract and it wouldn't cripple the Devils at all... it's going to be a very interesting and crucial offseason from the Devils POV.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Zacha needs to keep this shooting mentality. When Hall comes back, they should have Zacha on that same position on the second PP unit...Personally I don't think having both Vatenen and Severson on the same unit is optimal...I'd probably leave Damon on there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If all that comes out of the second half is finding we got something in Blackwood, and a Zacha surge, I will be satisfied.

Would mean a lot for our future.

The 2015 draft turning into a solid one would be a reverse heel turn of the highest order after all the time and angst wasted on it here. It is fitting both Blackwood and Zacha played starring roles today.

I just hope we don't crick our necks rushing to give Shero credit for this draft after people wanted to absolve him when it didn't exactly look great for either guy. It would be hilarious if Conte's last draft was his best in over a decade.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
The Devils could very well have the most cap space going into this offseason, and what's going to happen with Cory? He's a prime LTIR candidate... that's potentially alot of money coming off the books. If Shero wanted to, he could offer Panarin the max contract and it wouldn't cripple the Devils at all... it's going to be a very interesting and crucial offseason from the Devils POV.
My unpopular opinion but realistic is to sign Kevin Hayes. Think he's a winning player.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Cory’s contract didn’t look too bad at the time. You need very forward thinking to give a guy a max deal who hasn never played for you before. I’m always skeptical of a player who only signs because of the over payment. Panarin for the same price as Hall or a little more is great. For a lot more than Hall I don’t know.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
My unpopular opinion but realistic is to sign Kevin Hayes. Think he's a winning player.

I don't know how unpopular it'd really be, he had 25 goals last year and 32 points in 36 games this year. He's a solid middle six player and they'll definitely need at least another one of those guys considering Zacha as a top six player is still VERY suspect, not to mention the wing depth beyond Hallmeri is Bratt and....? next year with MarJo a FA and Wood not taking that next step forward some thought he might.

Reactions: HenriquesJawLine

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Cory’s contract didn’t look too bad at the time. You need very forward thinking to give a guy a max deal who hasn never played for you before. I’m always skeptical of a player who only signs because of the over payment. Panarin for the same price as Hall or a little more is great. For a lot more than Hall I don’t know.
no one could have predicted Cory's downfall and I agree it's was a solid contract at the time
overall the Devils don't really have any bad contracts, I guess some people think Zajac is overpaid but he's consistently been solid and fits the bill as a "Devil" type of player

Karlsson
Panarin
Stone
Duchene
Bob
Hayes would be a nice pickup like it was stated above
some very interesting names this summer, Devils can easily afford to offer and match a serious contract

Reactions: My3Sons

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
no one could have predicted Cory's downfall and I agree it's was a solid contract at the time
overall the Devils don't really have any bad contracts, I guess some people think Zajac is overpaid but he's consistently been solid and fits the bill as a "Devil" type of player

Karlsson
Panarin
Stone
Duchene
Bob
Hayes would be a nice pickup like it was stated above
some very interesting names this summer, Devils can easily afford to offer and match a serious contract
The Devils will likely need to sign someone to get to the floor if Cory is bought out/on LTIR. The problem with the players you listed is they will have multiple suitors if they make it to FA and the term they will command. Shero addressed this.

""I've said all along, with the support of managing partners, Josh (Harris) and David (Blitzer), that you don't build a team that's rebuilding through free agent signings that would handcuff you in 3-to-4 years," Shero said. "Doing something for the sake of getting a little bit better, or to just say you're doing something, is patchwork and not a plan. There's only one way to do this. The idea is to build something that once you do build it, you're in a good position each year to have a chance to make the playoffs and at a certain point you're considered a Cup contender."

Five Questions with Ray Shero

I personally would have no interest in Karlsson, Duchene, or Bob. Panarin and Stone will be highly sought after. Signing high priced UFA's is no way to build a team long term. When these types of contracts go bad they can really hurt a team as those players become unmovable due to high salary.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I don't know how unpopular it'd really be, he had 25 goals last year and 32 points in 36 games this year. He's a solid middle six player and they'll definitely need at least another one of those guys considering Zacha as a top six player is still VERY suspect, not to mention the wing depth beyond Hallmeri is Bratt and....? next year with MarJo a FA and Wood not taking that next step forward some thought he might.
Kevin Hayes will be paid as a top 6 player and may be a top 6 talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad