Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
No thanks on Duchene or Karlsson. Team mediocrity at best seems to follow Duchene. Karlsson at 29YO with a suspect ankle is going to want to much $$$ and term.
How could you possibly say no thanks to Karlsson lol. Do you not want to resign Hall too? He’s had injury trouble and will be not much younger than Karlsson when he’s a FA.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
No thanks on Duchene or Karlsson. Team mediocrity at best seems to follow Duchene. Karlsson at 29YO with a suspect ankle is going to want to much $$$ and term.

How could you possibly say no thanks to Karlsson lol. Do you not want to resign Hall too? He’s had injury trouble and will be not much younger than Karlsson when he’s a FA.

All depends on the asking price. Is Karlsson worth Doughty money? That's what I believe he'll want and given the severity of the ankle injury I wouldn't do it. His goal production dropped by almost half last season and this season is no better. I also consider comparing an ankle that was basically rebuilt vs Hall's injuries to be apple to oranges.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Ok so when Johansson and Hall are healthy what are the lines going to be? I really like Wood-Zacha-Noesen.

(I should said lines instead of who comes out. Obviously JQ and Stafford will sit.

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Ok so when Johansson and Hall are healthy who comes out? I really like Wood-Zacha-Noesen.
I don't see why we wouldn't try MarJo-Zajac-Bratt. Basically give Zajac the 2nd line and hope Zacha and Wood keep showing chemistry. I presume JQ gets sent down, and maybe we try someone other than Noeson with Zacha/Wood.

Reactions: Billdo and MichaelJ

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
stafford step right up!

Him and JQ are obvious choices but I don't think Coleman and Bratt deserve to drop down in the line up. I was thinking something like this...

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Zacha-Noesen
Coleman-Seney-Boyle

I don't like Coleman playing that low but don't want to break up 44-37-23 right now either.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
All depends on the asking price. Is Karlsson worth Doughty money? That's what I believe he'll want and given the severity of the ankle injury I wouldn't do it. His goal production dropped by almost half last season and this season is no better. I also consider comparing an ankle that was basically rebuilt vs Hall's injuries to be apple to oranges.

He is absolutely worth Doughty money. In fact he's worth more even with a bad ankle. He's not a whiny baby like Doughty is, so he won't check out when things go to shit. And even a bad year for him would be a career year for Doughty.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Ok so when Johansson and Hall are healthy who comes out? I really like Wood-Zacha-Noesen.
I like the way this line has played for the last two games. Noesen has sucked this season, but has been really good with them. Hopefully they can stay together a few more games.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I like the way this line has played for the last two games. Noesen has sucked this season, but has been really good with them. Hopefully they can stay together a few more games.

That line dominated today and they're a heavy forechecking line that can cycle the puck. They're a perfect third line with some offensive touch. Noesen has been bad all year but I thought today he played a really solid game.

Reactions: My3Sons

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Team USA looks horrible, especially their defense which outside of Hughes has zero offensive. Looks good on them since they decided to let one of the best American offensive defenseman available sit home.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Karlsson is better than Doughty IMO so I would say the answer is yes.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
also to those asking for better prospects/incoming youth (partially draft luck) I feel they sometimes forget Jesper Bratt is the first 5th or later round pick to make a team fulltime under 20 in decades

While my statement above may be off by a round (5th/6th), the point still stands. Weve had our luck and our current prospects look decent/good. Zacha is slowly panning out and , for example, Quenneville being somewhat bad is lightyears ahead of having AHL journeymen up being just as bad.

The youth is there and coming - the team will try its best to compete this season... and if they do and make the playoffs, Ill be the first on here thanking Hynes and changing my tune on him right around (even if his systems still suck and counter common coaching tactics)

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Those Yale guys are making all the difference.

Just came on here and turned the game back on, see their defense just standing still and get lit up for another goal against lol.

What a great defense.

No way is Walsh worse than the 5 out of the 6 they went with.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Karlsson is better than Doughty IMO so I would say the answer is yes.
Karlsson is a shitty defenseman compared to doughty. One can play defense, one can't. Don't we have enough chaos on our blueline? What we want to ruined macblack with like 40 breakaways per game?

If you have a solid d corps and sufficient firepower you can maybe have karlsson on your team, and win every game 6-5.

Just ask the sharks. It still isn't completely clear that they will survive Burns and karlsson back there. Amazing talent. Great if your team can win track meets on a regular basis.

Last edited:

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Hi there, Wings fan who lives in NY and watches a small bunch devils games when I get the chance. Just wanted to make a quick observation. Specifically on the powerplay (like today), Zacha somewhat reminds me of a young Mike zibanejad with his habits and instincts of very quick cross ice east west passes. I'm not sure what Zacha's ceiling will wind up being, but much like Zibanejad had to learn and that many here have iterated over time the past few seasons, one of the things that will help Zacha to be more successful is learning how to play off a shooters mentality and find a balance between his natural instincts of passing and shooting. Easier said than done i know. The good thing is that with Zacha, there is a foundation to work with. Somehow he will either have to gain a moment of insight and evolve on his own (his age is on his side imo), or have a mentor there to activley teach him. No matter what, the time frame of your guy's sucess can only be helped with the development of Zacha (and of course others). I wish you guys and Zacha the best of luck =).

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Karlsson is a ****ty defenseman compared to doughty. One can play defense, one can't. Don't we have enough chaos on our blueline? What we want to ruined macblack with like 40 breakaways per game?

If you have a solid d corps and sufficient firepower you can maybe have karlsson on your team, and win every game 6-5.

Just ask the sharks. It still isn't completely clear that they will survive Burns and karlsson back there. Amazing talent. Great if your team can win track meets on a regular basis.

Karlsson not being able to play defense is just something not true. Anyway Sharks are #6 in the league and Karlsson has seems to have gotten into groove. It's not easy to switch to a completely different team/structure as a defenseman. Noted defensive defenseman Vlasic is -15 on a +17 team (not including shootout goals against/for) while Karlsson is +2 and Burns is +8. If that was the other way around I'm sure you would have used that against those two and how they can't 'survive' with both of them. Not that I really care for +/- anyway. Just seems to be an argument always used against him. Karlsson is so much better than any guy on the Devils' blueline and he should be the one turning down the Devils if he comes to UFA and not the other way around.

Reactions: Verdoux

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Him and JQ are obvious choices but I don't think Coleman and Bratt deserve to drop down in the line up. I was thinking something like this...

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Wood-Zacha-Noesen
Coleman-Seney-Boyle

I don't like Coleman playing that low but don't want to break up 44-37-23 right now either.
I'll keep Zajac and Coleman together.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Seney-Bratt
Boyle-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Zacha-Noesen

Reactions: Quest for Stanley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad