Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
At some point, Wood is just as responsible and accountable for not signing as his agent and Shero are. Unless Shero is really lowballing both dollars and/or term, Wood needs to step up and get this done. One productive season (minus the basic no-show after the suspension) does not make him indispensable. If he's unhappy about his status through 2023 as it relates to the CBA, tough luck.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean, I figure Hainsey's a stop gap that you can throw in there for bottom pairing duty along with Lovejoy/Santini. I edited my post to say Toronto could send us Zaitsev if they want. I have no idea what he is except that Leafs fans seem to complain about him all the time and I get the sense he was a Lou guy, but maybe I'm wrong.

Getting rid of Severson is a risk, but Nylander is really good.

Its more then a risk. We aren’t sniffing the playoffs with the D we have left over.

Vats, Santini, Hainsey left side?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Miles Wood is aware that there are not many roster spots up for grabs, right?

Why are people blaming Wood on this?

We have no information on what the Devils have offered or what Wood's agent has countered with.

The Devils have tons of cap space. Wood's rate metrics last year were fairly impressive. It's unlikely that any of the prospects would come close to matching what Wood did.

We could easily turn this around and ask why Shero is being pennywise / pound foolish.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

We have no information on what the Devils have offered or what Wood's agent has countered with.

The Devils have tons of cap space. Wood's rate metrics last year were fairly impressive. It's unlikely that any of the prospects would come close to matching what Wood did.

We could easily turn this around and ask why Shero is being pennywise / pound foolish.
usually discussions are set between agents and the GM, right? at some point, wood might want to override his agent and sign and get to playing. losing his spot is a VERY real possibility, with JQ, McLeod, Speers, Seney, etc looking pretty good

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Really not happy about this news.

However, There's ONE spot open as far as forwards are concerned. Two if Wood doesn't show up. Quenneville and Lappin looked real good the other night. McLeod is also trying to make a case as is Speers. There will already be tough decisions that have to be made. Wood is not in a position of strength. He was a healthy scratch to start last season and had long stretches of invisibility when he was playing. He wants the Devils to show that they need him... but other kids are going to make him look expendable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Miles is a RFA who isn’t arbitration eligible. He has zero leverage here. It would be foolish for Ray to cave when he has all the cards.

Wood needs to sign what is on the table for his own sake. This isn’t the time to try and force a payday.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Miles is a RFA who isn’t arbitration eligible. He has zero leverage here. It would be foolish for Ray to cave when he has all the cards.

Wood needs to sign what is on the table for his own sake. This isn’t the time to try and force a payday.

Even if for argument’s sake Shero was being cheap (and everyone’s definition of what cheap is, is different - the Josh Anderson comp is a pretty solid one and he had an extended holdout too), nothing good is going to come from sitting out. Just like with CBA negotiations at some point you have to cut your losses and get what you can get. He’ll miss paychecks if this goes another couple weeks, and soon might be making noise about trying to force a trade.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Wood and his agent can f*** off. Miles was always a bit of an arrogant asshat, probably his father is not helping with all of this too. I love that he is a bit of a pest and such on the ice.. But not like this

Reactions: Patrik26

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even if for argument’s sake Shero was being cheap (and everyone’s definition of what cheap is, is different - the Josh Anderson comp is a pretty solid one and he had an extended holdout too), nothing good is going to come from sitting out. Just like with CBA negotiations at some point you have to cut your losses and get what you can get. He’ll miss paychecks if this goes another couple weeks, and soon might be making noise about trying to force a trade.

He could easily end up splitting time with someone like JQ for months, when he might have had a chance to lock his spot down for the year by being in camp already.

Coaching staff isn’t going to just hand him a guaranteed spot if he missed most, or all of camp.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Getting Stone would be awesome... I wonder if there's a deal here between the Devils and Vegas that would swap Wood for Theodore. We would probably have to add.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Incoming 10 pages of over reactions.
I’m actually all for tinkering with the top line RW. I’d imagine we can stick anyone next to Hall and Nico and they’ll score some. Spreading the wealth will make us tougher to play against if one of our lesser players can gel with Hall and Nico.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yea with the amount of leverage Shero has, it only gets stronger as preseason goes on. Like watching an ex start to date again and be happy. Wood is losing any ground he might have had by the day. I can't imagine Wood isn't pulling his hair out to get out there and just play.

Again we have no idea who is being unreasonable, would just be a shame if Shero is using all this "leverage" to really hold back from giving Wood what he deserves. On the same coin, hopefully Wood isn't holding out because he thinks he has already earned his career pay day. I'll just default to the agent being a selfish **** until further notice. It's just easier that way.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Stop pushing this stupid narrative. Not one of the younger guys replaces Wood. Jesus Christ... Ray needs to get this done.
there is no replacing wood, because he's an unique individual. as are JQ and McLeod. They change the way the team looks. But if his replacement can score goals, then so what?

yeah, wood played w an edge. he also led the team in PIMs and also had a pretty bad +/-, made worse considering he scored a ton at even strength

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Wood is an identity player on this team. We need him... this isn’t a tough concept

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Wood is an identity player on this team. We need him... this isn’t a tough concept
people made a good point on here. if we decide to overpay him to "get it over with", we set a precedent for future signings.

he's an important player, but if he's being stubborn as shit/overly reliant on a greedy agent, then that's a problem. it's like you're saying he's completely immune to blame, and that we should sign him at literally any cost

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Stop pushing this stupid narrative. Not one of the younger guys replaces Wood. Jesus Christ... Ray needs to get this done.
How could you have watched the team last year and come up with this take? Sure it’s unlikely we find someone who scores at Wood’s rate, but no one could’ve predicted Bratt or Butcher’s success. Even Coleman shattered expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille