Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why is it that everyone of our prospects have the same description......"He could be a solid fourth liner"?
I think guys like Quenneville, McLeod and Anderson can be better than fourth liners. Lappin could be a solid fourth liner, that’s his ceiling, but Lappin is almost 26 years old and isn’t a prospect.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why is it that everyone of our prospects have the same description......"He could be a solid fourth liner"?

Lappin was a shot generating machine in college and his early years in the AHL. There's always been NHL potential in him. If he decided to serious up and get in better shape then good for him.

I assume devlzfan post was in response to my post about Lappin, which was a post about Lappin and not our other prospects. Clearly I don't think Ty Smith will be a fourth liner.:sarcasm:

But Lappin specifically? Older guy who didn't impress in his very limited time with NJ last year. He'd have to work just to make 4th line this year. I'd like to see him do that. Heck I'd love to see him go beyond that and work, and score, his way up the lineup, but one step at a time.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As another argument against signing veteran free agents to fill gaps, I hope we can maintain a culture where guys like Gibbons and Coleman last year, and Lappin this year, in addition to all the young guys, go into an offseason motivated to improve themselves, then go into the camp motivated to prove themselves.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Usually most coaches tend to offer up bland uninspired quotes which is to be expected and understandable - some don't like to speak with the media and offer up little and some just aren't the best communicators.

In what we've heard from Kowalsky so far, he comes across as very articulate and he has offered some quality insight. Having not known a thing about the guy other than that he coached our AHL team for a few years, it has been a nice surprise.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Because we don’t have a very good prospect pool. It’s OK at best. That’s why I’m worried about Wood taking this into the regular season. We don’t have the depth that the fans think.
Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, and Will Butcher were prospects last season. Do you expect a crop that strong every year?

Reactions: OmNomNom

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, and Will Butcher were prospects last season. Do you expect a crop that strong every year?
To be fair Bratt and Butcher weren't big time prospects last year.

This year with Smith, McLeod, Anderson, Q, I feel we are still on pretty solid ground on the prospect front. And that is just guys on the cusp.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
the thing with prospects is that they can seemingly bust. you never know with some of these guys. remember when we were all crazy jealous of prospects named

kerby rychel
sven baertschi (though he revived his career)
valeri nichushkin
hunter shinkaruk
dylan strome

people have/had cooled on these guys. you never know with prospects overall, despite the hype. until they sniff the NHL, it doesn't matter how they do in the AHL (e.g. lappin being a top scorer)

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
no one is saying anderson, jq, seney,mcleod or boqvist are projecting to be serviceable 4th liners. people are talking about the players that might fill the open 4th line positions we have. incredible misreading of what people are saying.

also, not that lappin is exciting but he did score 30 goals in the ago last season, that’s not bad at all. if he comes to camp and earns a spot he deserves the chance to show what he can do

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
McLeod, Anderson, and Q aren't great prospects, but that's not all the Devils have in their system. A lot of their best forward prospects aren't at training camp.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
All due respect to these guys, but Hischier was a first overall draft pick and was expected to contribute right away, nobody knew how Butcher would contribute, and hardly anybody thought Bratt was gonna be with the big club at all- to say nothing of Coleman. That’s also because very few player spots were set going into camp.

It’s probably not fair to expect that many hits per season, and there will be fewer of them by virtue of there being fewer spots to compete with. But when it comes to potential high-end talent, we’ve got Ty Smith and that’s kinda it.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
it would be really odd to burn a year off Anderson's ELC to not give him an immediate 9 game test, unless he is being beaten out that easily.

Quenneville if he keeps it up is a lock for an opening night spot IMO. he also isnt waiver eligible anymore IIRC.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
it would be really odd to burn a year off Anderson's ELC to not give him an immediate 9 game test, unless he is being beaten out that easily.

Quenneville if he keeps it up is a lock for an opening night spot IMO. he also isnt waiver eligible anymore IIRC.
I don't think the 9 game factor is in play with Anderson.

But even if he doesn't make the squad out of camp, he is on the short list of call ups.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
But they are pretty good prospects.

Not really. Maybe Anderson is. The other two, they'll probably play in the NHL full-time someday for at least a year, but neither has had the kind of career where it seems like they'll make much of an impact. They're good players to have around for sure and there were plenty of years where the Devils didn't even have guys this good coming to camp.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Not really. Maybe Anderson is. The other two, they'll probably play in the NHL full-time someday for at least a year, but neither has had the kind of career where it seems like they'll make much of an impact. They're good players to have around for sure and there were plenty of years where the Devils didn't even have guys this good coming to camp.

The one thing McLeod/JQ have going for them is they each have some individual abilities that can carve them a role as a solid second liner.

JQ has a nifty set of hands and a strong shot. I could see him carving out a James Neal type career if he can put it together solely on his offensive ability alone. It seems like he's trying to add some of the chippy game that Neal shows at times too.

McLeod is fast, can carry the puck at high speeds, and has a compete level you can't teach. Guys can carve out second line roles with those attributes.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

9 game ELC rule only applies to 18/19 year olds. Joey already burned the first year of his ELC by signing late last season as a 20 year old (the actual CBA clause is a little more complicated since Joey didn't actually turn 20 until later). This year will be used regardless if he plays in the NHL/AHL.

JQ is still waiver exempt for one more season: John Quenneville - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->