Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Its more then a risk. We aren’t sniffing the playoffs with the D we have left over.

Vats, Santini, Hainsey left side?

If Severson is the difference between this team being good (near or in playoffs) or bad (not sniffing playoffs) especially when we are adding Nylander to the mix, it means either Severson is really, really good -- all evidence from the past two years suggests this is not the case -- or the team is pretty bad as is -- there's a case to be made for regression from last year, but it wasn't like we were minus 10 or 20 goals, which is usually a sign of a bad team that got really lucky if it made the playoffs.

Right handed defenseman who are decent to pretty good may not grow on trees, but they're not unicorns either.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Sooooo a 50 point winger just signed a two-year bridge deal for $3.65 AAV. Reinhart had 25g and 25a last season and had 17g and 30a the year before. Miles has one season of 19g and 13a... "But he played more minutes and a different type of role!!!" - Yeah that's all whatever, he's still a much better player than Miles.

I'd imagine Wood's asking price will come down to Earth now.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Wood is important but I seriously don't see him as some indispensable piece. Could Shero be trying to be frugal? Sure but there's basically a market for this RFAs and bridge deals. Wood isn't some type that could or should break the mold of what that's typically been.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Miles Wood was an important player last season when playing his game. The truth is after his suspension he came back as a neutered shell of his former self and contributed little down the stretch. That's the only "narrative" I'm pushing.

Reactions: Billdo and OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
less serious: kinkaid's new mask

bgx3xxa7a8n11.jpg

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Stop pushing this stupid narrative. Not one of the younger guys replaces Wood. Jesus Christ... Ray needs to get this done.

How is that stupid?

Did you miss the games on Monday? Certain players are making very strong cases to stick. It may be true that none of them bring Wood's exact skill set, but the team certainly isn't hurting for bodies. Ray ain't gonna budge.

Last edited:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
1. Hall
2. Hischier
3. Palmieri
4. Boyle
5. Zajac
6. Bratt
7. Johansson
8. Zacha
9. Coleman
10. Noesen
11. ? (Wood)
12. ?
13. ?

1. Greene
2. Vatanen
3. Severson
4. Mueller
5. Lovejoy
6. Santini
7. Butcher
8. ? (Smith)

I see us starting the season with 13F and 8D because I believe Smith will make the team. Just the fact that they started him with Vatanen and with how well he played, I can't see them sending him back to junior just yet. I think it's more likely he will get a look in regular season and then sent back if he isn't a surefire top 4 guy.

At forward, pre training camp I thought Anderson and Seney would make the squad, but from the looks of it so far, and I know its early, but I think Lappin and Quenneville have the best chance to make the team. That would leave 1 spot for another forward if Wood remains unsigned. If he is signed, you have your starting forwards. Then if Smith eventually gets sent back, Anderson/Seney/McLeod/Speers will be called up.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
1. Hall
2. Hischier
3. Palmieri
4. Boyle
5. Zajac
6. Bratt
7. Johansson
8. Zacha
9. Coleman
10. Noesen
11. ? (Wood)
12. ?
13. ?

1. Greene
2. Vatanen
3. Severson
4. Mueller
5. Lovejoy
6. Santini
7. Butcher
8. ? (Smith)

I see us starting the season with 13F and 8D because I believe Smith will make the team. Just the fact that they started him with Vatanen and with how well he played, I can't see them sending him back to junior just yet. I think it's more likely he will get a look in regular season and then sent back if he isn't a surefire top 4 guy.

At forward, pre training camp I thought Anderson and Seney would make the squad, but from the looks of it so far, and I know its early, but I think Lappin and Quenneville have the best chance to make the team. That would leave 1 spot for another forward if Wood remains unsigned. If he is signed, you have your starting forwards. Then if Smith eventually gets sent back, Anderson/Seney/McLeod/Speers will be called up.
BTW, the trip to Europe to start the season allows us an extra slot or two. I think we're allowed to carry 24 or 25 players instead of 23 until we get back. It gives us a little time before we have to make our final couple cuts.

Reactions: OmNomNom

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Here goes:

Tor: Miles Wood, Damon Severson, John Quenneville
NJ: Nylander, Nathan Horton, Ron Hainsey

You can perhaps do them an even bigger solid and replace Hainsey with Zaitsev if the latter is not a total traffic cone.

I base Toronto's willingness to do this on the fact they are going to be in an extremely tough cap position next year if they sign Nylander for close to what you would expect him to be asking for. I didn't feel like getting flamed by Leafs fans by posting this on the main board.

Leaf fans would suggest he’s light years better than the pieces offered but he should sign for an 8 year deal for under $6 mil per.

Reactions: Missionhockey

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
One on the trade board countered with Zacha+Smith+

It's best to just not poke the bear with Leafs fans. They're... something else.

I mean, I might substitute Zacha for Wood. I would think though that Dubas might be impresssd with Wood’s points per 60 and his speed and size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->