Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
thats actually 2nd line on the least scoring team in the league. and giroux had 68 assists to wood's 13. he had good goals per 60. he's a good player. he's not a well rounded player, and he pretty much sucked after getting suspended last year. plus, those other guys have track records of sustained success. wood's not there yet. he also has no leverage.
Wood produces shots at the same Exact rate before and after the suspension.

170 total. 40 after the suspension in 19 games. 130 before in 57 games 2.3 shots per game and 40;in 19 is 2.1 shots per game.

He had 26 points in his first 57 for .45 PPG and 6 in 19 for .32 points per game...he was actually getting less ice time too at about 11 minutes. That probably had more to do with obtaining Maroon than Wood's play though.

I think the *he sucked after the suspension" is largely a newly crafted narrative.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Wood produces at the same Exact rate before and after the suspension.

170 total. 40 after the suspension in 19 games. 130 before in 57 games 2.3 shots per game and 40;in 19 is 2.1 shots per game.

He had 26 points in his first 57 for .45 PPG and 6 in 19 for .32 points per game...he was actually getting less ice time too at about 11 minutes. That probably had more to do with obtaining Maroon than Wood's play though.

I think the *he sucked after the suspension" is largely a newly crafted narrative.

I don't think it is a new idea, it was said a lot last year, but I do think it has been overblown to fit into certain arguments when needed. But it is Hfboards, if you don't stretch the truth to win an argument, you ain't tryin.

But I don't think you would say his play didn't change dramatically after coming back from the suspension. What made him stand out and really appreciated was the fact that he was putting up points while playing like a maniac. A good controlled chaos that could change the course of a game. That basically dried up after the suspension. Sure he was still putting up points, but I don't think it's wrong to worry that he might have lost the "intangibles" that made him even better than his stat line.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I am excited to watch tonights game even with the split squad.

So far three games two Rangers and one Isles on MSG

Go Devils.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Where do these point projections come from?

I'll take Vatanen scoring more points than Butcher assuming they both say healthy. And 43 points for Zacha? God I hope so.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Where do these point projections come from?

I'll take Vatanen scoring more points than Butcher assuming they both say healthy. And 43 points for Zacha? God I hope so.
From his website: How These Projections Work

My projections are built using the last three seasons of each player’s career on a per-minute basis, weighted by recency using a multi-variate regression, regressed to the mean based on sample size, and age adjusted. To account for the sudden increase in scoring last season, point projections were also adjusted to last season’s goals-per-game level.
Those per-minute projections for each stat are then applied to a time-on-ice projection based on each player’s ice-time last season, adjusted for their likely place on the depth chart this season. That means that a player moving from the second line to the first line would see a bump in ice-time equal to the difference between a first and second line player. The adjustments were based on expected depth charts that were derived from conversations with a beat writer from each team.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's pretty generous IMO.
It makes sense with the method he is using, it essentially assumes no regression or injuries, but no progression either except through ice time increases. I'd bet on average across the entire team it's decent, but individuals will be higher or lower.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I feel like with Zacha there have been certain things he's been told to work on from the start of his time here. Defensively he's gotten way better, he played a solid two way game this year. If he was told to shoot more coming into this, he will shoot more. Hopefully the offense translates. He's got the tools, just needs to use them.

Reactions: My3Sons

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
Just curious what is up with Jeremy Davies? Was he at camp or what's going on. Dont follow much so sorry if I'm out to lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad