Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - camp begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Vatanen, Severson, Butcher are automatic locks for a roster spot
Mueller is almost a lock for me and his off-season play cemented that but wont list him as a lock just yet
Santini just signed and cannot be put on waivers again. He is a lock for an NHL spot, starting or not.

That leaves one position open for Greene, Lovejoy, Yakovlev, and any young defensemen who step up.

What do yall think will happen with the defense and our open spot or two?:D

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
It doesn't make sense to give a player with Wood's results this sort of money. Kase got 2.6 for 3 years and he's a much better player. Moreover, if Shero does increase his offer, now every future RFA knows that he can be broken. It will just increase the possibility that players will miss parts of training camp to try to get a better contract.

don't 100% agree on the money value but the precedent is the most important part. at this point you can't give incentive to all of the other young players to hold out and try to break ray for more money

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
More than anything else I want specifics, or at least a general idea of where the negotiations stand, so I can have a better reason to panic other than my own paranoia. Tom Wilson money is absurd, but I don't see $2.5mil AAV as unreasonable. Again, we've got $18 million in cap space. Even if that is a slight overpay, it's better than leaving things to chance with guys who've never played an NHL game.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Mueller is almost a lock for me and his off-season play cemented that but wont list him as a lock just yet
Santini just signed and cannot be put on waivers again. He is a lock for an NHL spot, starting or not.

That leaves one position open for Greene, Lovejoy, Yakovlev, and any young defensemen who step up.

Greene isn't going anywhere, he's the captain. I can see Lovejoy and Mueller being left off if they're behind a step or two. I can definitely see Ty Smith making the opening roster if he proves himself. Yakovlev could surprise us as well.

I wouldn't call Severson a lock just yet. As Shero said, he's got things to improve, and he was scratched late last season several times.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Greene isn't going anywhere, he's the captain. I can see Lovejoy and Mueller being left off if they're behind a step or two. I can definitely see Ty Smith making the opening roster if he proves himself. Yakovlev could surprise us as well.

I wouldn't call Severson a lock just yet. As Shero said, he's got things to improve, and he was scratched late last season several times.
Severson isn't a lock? So we're just gonna waive him?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
More than anything else I want specifics, or at least a general idea of where the negotiations stand, so I can have a better reason to panic other than my own paranoia. Tom Wilson money is absurd, but I don't see $2.5mil AAV as unreasonable. Again, we've got $18 million in cap space. Even if that is a slight overpay, it's better than leaving things to chance with guys who've never played an NHL game.
Its not about how big the contract is now and how much cap we have. The number he gets now will affect his next negotiation and arbitration (if need be). Thats the holdup.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Severson isn't a lock? So we're just gonna waive him?
I was thinking this as well. If Severson isn't a lock he is being traded - which could make sense with our logjam of middle-bottom four defenseman. Severson would have great value around the league, likely the greatest of anyone outside of Butcher.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

not if we're carrying 7 D

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I was thinking this as well. If Severson isn't a lock he is being traded - which could make sense with our logjam of middle-bottom four defenseman. Severson would have great value around the league, likely the greatest of anyone outside of Butcher.
Literally a "shape up or ship out" situation. :laugh:

If he doesn't cut it with us, I'd love to see what he could fetch on the trade market.

Reactions: Nok Hockey

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

and where is Severson going, exactly?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Severson is absolutely a lock. That is separate from the team potentially getting tired of him and trading him.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Locks
F - Hall Hischier Bratt Palmieri Zacha Johansson Zajac Coleman Noesen Boyle (Wood)
D - Vatanen Greene Severson Butcher Santini
G - Schneider Kinkaid

Almost a lock
Lovejoy, Mueller, (Lack if Schneids is hurt)

With Wood Lovejoy & Mueller included, this would leave 3 remaining spots for Smith Yakovlev Quenneville Seney Anderson McLeod Speers and any other rando.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think it's clear that there are a lot fewer spots open this season than last, where most of the roster was in play.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I romantically long for the days when young players with 27 goals in 142 games didn't "hold out" like they're Brett Hull or Bobby Orr.
Claude Giroux had 102 points and 34 goals to go with it this season...Giroux scored 1.22 goals per 60 minutes played...Miles Wood had 1.20

As I have mentioned previously Wood scored more goals per 60 minutes than Cam Atkinson, Marleau, Kopitar, Eberle, Niederreiter, Evandar Kane, Stamkos, Duchene, Horvat, Simmonds, Krieder, Coutier, Panarin...we can go on forever...but Giroux was 71st in the league in G/60 and Wood was 74.

If we throw away the goals per 60 and just look at raw goals...there were only 118 players in the league that scored more than 19 goals. That is 2nd line goal production on ANY team in the league. And when you are doing that with 12 minutes a night you've accomplished something.

Now, nobody is saying Wood is in the caliber of those aforementioned players...but he performed very well in his contact year....that is supposed to be rewarded.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i'm thinking maybe we do a trade with our D for prospects. maybe santini, honestly, since it seems like management doesn't love him (what a waste, tbh).

it would fix our roster issues with D and help us down the line

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
thats actually 2nd line on the least scoring team in the league. and giroux had 68 assists to wood's 13. he had good goals per 60. he's a good player. he's not a well rounded player, and he pretty much sucked after getting suspended last year. plus, those other guys have track records of sustained success. wood's not there yet. he also has no leverage.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

If $2.5M is the ask, I'd guarantee we'd have a done deal by now. There's nothing unreasonable about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad