Development Camp June 27-29

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It's difficult to build any sort of impression off what we saw today, but you can obviously take a look at the skillset of these players, particularly when they started doing more 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 work.

Makar is a tremendous skater, and his first step is top notch. He can basically take off from a stand still. That may be where the Karlsson comparison comes from, because his acceleration is off the charts. I hope that there's a way to watch some of his games this fall because defensively, that's where you'll see where he really is, but his skillset is very good.

I feel bad for the goalies. They are getting a lot of individual work in compared to what I saw last year, which is good, but when it comes to some of the zone work with 2 nets in one zone, it's got to be hard to evaluate them, because there's no room for them to challenge or play the way they would normally play. I'm not a goalie guru by any means, but it just seems hard.

Mironov is just way bigger than everyone out there. His pro experience showed. He scored the winning shootout goal at the end after missing like 6 times and let out a big Rick Flair "WOOOOO".

Bummed that Meloche wasn't out there. I won't be there the next two days so I was hoping to see him.

Morrison looked very uncomfortable with the puck in a lot of the drills, probably more uncomfortable than any of the other forwards. I haven't seen him in game action before, but he seems like a guy who just isn't a top notch skill guy and his game stands out during actual game action.

I love JC Beudin's intelligence. He made a play during the center ice 2 on 2 game that was so damn smart that I guarantee nobody else on the ice would have thought of. It's hard to describe without having been there, but I just like a lot about what type of player he can be.

As far as some of the no name guys, I like the 7th round pick D's skillset. I'm too lazy to look up how to spell his name, but I just liked what I saw in terms of a base and am interested to see how his game works next year in the USHL.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but went over and talked to Alan Hepple for a few minutes. Very nice guy, was willing to talk and didn't seem annoyed by anything. It can't be easy being a scout. He gets about a month off and then goes right back to work for next season. Sakic's 16 year old kid was out there shooting on the goalies and had a couple of snipes, and Hepple just kept going "holy **** did you see that?"

Also, random, but Chambers showed up about 2.5 hours after it started and didn't stick around for the afternoon session. He really puts in the hours.

These types of camps aren't for everyone, but it's been nice to see the Avs put them on the last few years. Also really nice to see all the college guys there.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Appreciate the recaps.

It's probably difficult to tell but did Jost look any bigger compared to the end of last season?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I understand everyone's hesitations on Makar, but I've begun to trust this scouting staff - especially in the top 10. As others have mentioned, the cupboard is starting to fill up with some promising pieces and Mikko and Tyson highlight the group. I'm hoping Makar follows that trend and will take it on good faith. He's more of a mystery to me than anything, and I'm curious to see how good he becomes.

Just realized for the first time that Bleakley was selected 2 spots before Pastrnak :cry::cry: that's got to be one of the worst hindsights in recent memory

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Good to hear he's been training for a month and a half in Denver on both off and on ice stuff. He clearly knows he needs to work on his explosiveness.

Appreciate the recaps.

It's probably difficult to tell but did Jost look any bigger compared to the end of last season?

He was in the very first morning session only so it's tough to say. Hopefully I'll get to see him again.

They tweak the format of this every year so just to explain what they are doing this year:

10 forwards, split into two groups. 5 started with Tracey doing the power skating, 5 with the coaches doing skill work. Then after an hour they switched. So they were on ice two hours.( Last year they did one hour skating in the morning, one hour skill practice afternoon.) Then the defensemen, there were 6 of them out there total so again, half started power skating, half with the coaches, for them it was mostly Foote. Again, one hour each and then switch. The goalies were paired, one with the forward group, one with the Ds and they had Greer and Storm (and whoever that kid was) shooting pucks on them for the better part of the entire 4-5 hours. Then the afternoon session all were together and Bednar ran the drills. Goalie warm up about 30 min with JIF, then about an hour session.

The videos on the Avs site with some of the guys they talk about staying here to train. I know some have been here but I didn't know some have been consecutively. Beaudin says he's been here a month, Clurman says he drives down from Boulder to train (I assume his family has to pay for it?). I know Meloche, Barron, Greer, Martin and Bigras have been here at one point, I don't think any have stayed a month like Beaudin and Jost (not sure about Barron).

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Really happy and excited to hear Makar is impressing !!

I can't wait to actually see him start playing for the Avalanche in a few years ! I have a feeling he's going to be really special !

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So there's no afternoon session on Thursday? That's the only day I can go. I can manage to get down there at 8 I suppose.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone have reports from today? Vegas has better development camp coverage than us lol and they barely even have a fan base right now hahah. Chambers and co are probably on a pre-vacation.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Saw a video from the Avs account where Kvaca had his glove almost parallel with the ice and then was promptly beat glove side which would have been a save if Kvaca decided to have his glove in better position. I've only ever seen one goalie up until Werner/Kvaca that has their glove pretty much parallel to the ice.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Saw a video from the Avs account where Kvaca had his glove almost parallel with the ice and then was promptly beat glove side which would have been a save if Kvaca decided to have his glove in better position. I've only ever seen one goalie up until Werner/Kvaca that has their glove pretty much parallel to the ice.

Varlamov pre-Allaire?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It seems to be a very European thing (except Finnish) that I have seen. I'm guessing an effort to help cover the lower part of the net assuming most players can't roof it without space... not a fan of it though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Based on the reports by Avs twitter, Smironov was shooting at 94 MPH during the off-ice portion. That's quite impressive regardless of the conditions for a guy with his weight and overall frame structure.

Denis has this very strange complexion. I know that Russia is huge and is filled with people of Mongolian descent, Arabic descent, and others. But the dude looks like he tans all the time, which goes very strange with his light blue eyes, and really white teeth.

So anyone got anything on them goalies?
What else do you want to know which hasn't been said? A lot of the drills were very anti-goaler, a lot of 2-0s, breakaways, and a ton of close one-timers as Mars and Tigre have pointed out.

Hard to get a grasp on how well they're doing in those. I went on Tuesday and they were conducting technical movement drills. Kvaca is easily the most explosive of the goalers. Though I do think that being that fast will make him over play some situations. Nonetheless, he was squared up with the shooters and challenged them which you like to see. I understand that he might not be a mainstream prospect, but I totally get why the Avs drafted him. He was most definitely worth the pick even if he doesn't make it in the end.

As Kvaca is the most reactionary/athletic goaler, Werner was the slowest and is more of a shot blocker. Reminds me of James Riemer where he has really good angles and can stay further back because of being the largest goaler there. Still needs to improve his lateral movement and maybe lose some weight to increase his lightness, but he was a beast in the shootout competition.

Ryan Larkin, for me, was the best overall goaler there. Doesn't necessarily have the NHL height, but he does have good overall skill in all facets. He tends to drop down his glove too much which shooters are waiting for, but is fixable in terms of it being a weakness. Not too much to say about him, just that he's quite impressive and I will be surprised if a team doesn't sign him out of college. Even if he never makes the NHL, should be that Cal Peterson or Matt O'Connor type of free agent you want.

Leclerc was the weakest for me, but had probably the strongest glove hand. Additionally, he was the most inconsistent as at times he looked unbeatable and others it was a bench-ball clinic. Was most definitely the best stick handler of the four and move the puck efficiently when he was needed.

This is all based on just a one-hour clinic so take it with a grain of salt, but those are my thoughts in how well they did.

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Varlamov pre-Allaire?

As far as I can tell when Varlamov was in Washington his glove positioning was pretty much perfectly perpendicular with the ice and resting on the hip. Allaire changed the angle of his glove but not to the severe angle I've seen it with Werner/Kvaca plus brought it up from his hip to his shoulder.

article_29945_2.jpg
Semyon+Varlamov+Washington+Capitals+v+Colorado+EeWN8pvDMkOl.jpg

It seems to be a very European thing (except Finnish) that I have seen. I'm guessing an effort to help cover the lower part of the net assuming most players can't roof it without space... not a fan of it though.

I get using it close in but it looks like their default positioning which irks me as well. Even in all the WJC/U18 tourney's I've seen I don't think I've seen goalies who have their gloves positioned like that. I'll pay closer attention though next time I watch a tournament.

What else do you want to know which hasn't been said? A lot of the drills were very anti-goaler, a lot of 2-0s, breakaways, and a ton of close one-timers as Mars and Tigre have pointed out.

Hard to get a grasp on how well they're doing in those. I went on Tuesday and they were conducting technical movement drills. Kvaca is easily the most explosive of the goalers. Though I do think that being that fast will make him over play some situations. Nonetheless, he was squared up with the shooters and challenged them which you like to see. I understand that he might not be a mainstream prospect, but I totally get why the Avs drafted him. He was most definitely worth the pick even if he doesn't make it in the end.

As Kvaca is the most reactionary/athletic goaler, Werner was the slowest and is more of a shot blocker. Reminds me of James Riemer where he has really good angles and can stay further back because of being the largest goaler there. Still needs to improve his lateral movement and maybe lose some weight to increase his lightness, but he was a beast in the shootout competition.

Ryan Larkin, for me, was the best overall goaler there. Doesn't necessarily have the NHL height, but he does have good overall skill in all facets. He tends to drop down his glove too much which shooters are waiting for, but is fixable in terms of it being a weakness. Not too much to say about him, just that he's quite impressive and I will be surprised if a team doesn't sign him out of college. Even if he never makes the NHL, should be that Cal Peterson or Matt O'Connor type of free agent you want.

Leclerc was the weakest for me, but had probably the strongest glove hand. Additionally, he was the most inconsistent as at times he looked unbeatable and others it was a bench-ball clinic. Was most definitely the best stick handler of the four and move the puck efficiently when he was needed.

This is all based on just a one-hour clinic so take it with a grain of salt, but those are my thoughts in how well they did.

Honestly this is the first post I've seen with anything related to the goalies that wasn't two sentences so thank you. I feel like when you describe Werner you're describing almost the stereotypical Swedish goalie nowadays.

I've heard good things about Ryan Larkin and I know there are a few fans of his that have asked for the past two years why hasn't he been drafted. So it's nice to see him here and getting a real chance. It's nice to get a good look at him so they are (potentially) first in line whenever he decides to leave the NCAA.

I'm not surprised with Francis Leclerc. He's the youngest goalie there and this was his first year as being draft eligible. He'll be the full time starter for Blainville-Boisbriand next season and did well this year so it's nice for him to get some NHL level coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad