Development Camp June 27-29

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Glad you said you like Beaudin. I thought he was a standout too but everyone knows how high I am on him to begin with.

Remember that I was probably his biggest fan when we did the last year podcast. So you have some competition ;), I just thought he didn't have a very good camp last year. I thought he was going to be a little more dynamic and controlling the play. He looked very good though today, should have a good first year for San Antonio.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can't remember the last time a GM chose the assistant coach over the HC.

It just happened with Pratt. Roy didn't want him. Deadmarsh, Kono, Lefebvre, and Granato were all Avalanche picks not the HC.

You think bringing in Yeo was really Hitchcock's idea? You think AV wants Lindy Ruff breathing down his neck? Was Coach Q really Denis Savard's idea in Chicago? Doug Weight was clearly the Isles pick not Capuano's. These are just the ones that come to mind.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the point was that Bednar has hardly earned the right to pick his own guys after the season he just had. Basically, if that's the hire, it will just be two people we need to fire at the end of this year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wanted someone who is more experienced and has had success coaching forwards and running a PP at the NHL level, guys like Paul MacLean and Todd Nelson, but I also think a HC should pick his own assistants. Bednar might be bad no matter what but as long as he's the HC, let him get his own guys.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Remember that I was probably his biggest fan when we did the last year podcast. So you have some competition ;), I just thought he didn't have a very good camp last year. I thought he was going to be a little more dynamic and controlling the play. He looked very good though today, should have a good first year for San Antonio.

I'm not sure if that will ever be his game in professional leagues. His mind is just so far beyond his hands at this point. If the hands catch up, he can be a good 2nd liner. With Beaudin's skating, frame, and smarts he will be a NHL player, just a matter of the level.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I wanted someone who is more experienced and has had success coaching forwards and running a PP at the NHL level, guys like Paul MacLean and Todd Nelson, but I also think a HC should pick his own assistants. Bednar might be bad no matter what but as long as he's the HC, let him get his own guys.

Agreed. Can't get any worse than last season, at least let him bring in his own guys so he has the most to work with.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
It just happened with Pratt. Roy didn't want him. Deadmarsh, Kono, Lefebvre, and Granato were all Avalanche picks not the HC.

You think bringing in Yeo was really Hitchcock's idea? You think AV wants Lindy Ruff breathing down his neck? Was Coach Q really Denis Savard's idea in Chicago? Doug Weight was clearly the Isles pick not Capuano's. These are just the ones that come to mind.

Pratt was hired, by Bednar, after Roy quit...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pratt was hired, by Bednar, after Roy quit...

Pratt was hired on July 15th. Roy left on August 11th. It's not clear what role Pratt would have had, but it's widely believed that Roy was not happy with the addition, and it was part of the reason he left.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I hear Werner had a better showing than Kvaca. Was also told that Werner still has the "mouse trap" glove positioning and Kvaca is doing the same thing. Anyone watch the goalie to know confirm that?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pratt was hired on July 15th. Roy left on August 11th. It's not clear what role Pratt would have had, but it's widely believed that Roy was not happy with the addition, and it was part of the reason he left.

And where exactly is it "widely believed" that Roy was not happy with the addition?

There's plenty of things to be upset at Bednar for, him potentially picking replacements on his staff, which has happened before in the NHL, is just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And where exactly is it "widely believed" that Roy was not happy with the addition?

There's plenty of things to be upset at Bednar for, him potentially picking replacements on his staff, which has happened before in the NHL, is just making a mountain out of a molehill.

If anything you're making a mountain out of a molehill about it. I'm simply pointing out examples of teams making assistant coaching hires instead of HC's, after being told it never happens, and pointing out Pratt was hired before Roy left, after being told he was hired after.

As for Pratt, Roy's own words alluded to it.

"It was more like the type of players and stuff like this that [we] didn't necessarily agree on, and it goes upon that. It was people working for the team and stuff like this that we were a little different, but no more than that."

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-roy-discusses-departure-from-colorado-avalanche/c-281646626

Plus there were articles speculating about it, including BSN who I know you're a fan of.

Was it the hiring of another outside voice on the coaching staff in Nolan Pratt to help modernize the Avalanche’s defensive systems?

http://bsndenver.com/the-day-patrick-roy-ultimate-winner-became-a-quitter/

It was talked about a fair amount here when Roy left, because the timing of the two events were so close. I'm also pretty sure Dater or someone posted a rumor about the Pratt hiring being an issue but I can't find it now.

So this isn't an idea that I just pulled out of thin air.

It's speculation on my part, but if you read between the lines over the years, I think you can see that Roy wanted to bring in Benoit Groulx as an assistant but it was believed he wanted to be paid to leave the Q, and the Avs didn't want to meet his asking price.

This is what I think Roy was alluding to when he said, "It was people working for the team and stuff like this that we were a little different."

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
TV, do you know who the player in the grey jersey against Makar? I'm asking because Makar was playing him really well defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad