Development Camp June 27-29

AW8

Apr 28, 2014
Finished up with protect the puck and attack the net drills.
Jost stood out.
Lewis #2 imo.
Morrison was a big body out there.

Zam is out.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

If Petersen is the new Asst. Coach, that should really come as no surprise, and it will mean that Bednar has the exact same staff with him that won the Calder Cup.

AW8

Apr 28, 2014
We left before defense came on. Boy had a hair cut. Gotta say he rocks long hair better than short. Oh well, 2 months to grw before season starts.

Only saw 1st session. Just looked real good. Ty Lewis was second best imo as well as my sons. Jotsy really stood out though. His double bar down snipe was :amazed:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Based off my twitter, it sounds like Makar is looking pretty impressive in the game-like drills this afternoon.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
We still don't know if Makar can play defense or not, but that skillset is impressive.

Morrison looks exactly like McGinn. Like...exactly. It's scary.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

If Petersen is the new Asst. Coach, that should really come as no surprise, and it will mean that Bednar has the exact same staff with him that won the Calder Cup.

Yeah Bednar's earned the right to pick his own assistant. An assistant with three years of assistant coaching experience. This team...:shakehead

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah Bednar's earned the right to pick his own assistant. An assistant with three years of assistant coaching experience. This team...:shakehead

I'm sorry, I greatly dislike Bednar as well, but if the head coach doesn't have a large say, who the **** else is picking assistant coaches for him? Basically, why wouldn't Bednar have a significant say as to who is on his staff?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So why is Jost, 19, doing another development camp with the Avs?

“It’s pretty straight-forward: Next year my goal is to be in the NHL (full-time) and make an impact with the Avs and help them move in the right direction,†Jost said Tuesday to kick off the three-day camp. “I’ve been in Denver for over a month and a half now, getting used to the city and looking to be more like a pro and get ready for the NHL. I think the development camp is a great step for that. It’s an awesome program here. They know what they’re doing, and it’s great to be out on the ice. You can never get too ahead of the game, so I think it’s good for me.â€Â

He added: “At my year-end interview I told them I wanted to come to development camp, and training around here before I go back and spend some time with my family in Kelowna (British Columbia). So it was kind of mutual. I wanted to be here. And, like I said, it’s good ice, good training.â€Â

“I was in a lot of these guys’ positions last year with the draft and whatnot. I definitely do feel like a leader here, a guy a lot of people can look up to,†he said. “I looked up to a lot of people last year, and I can kind of be that guy this year.â€Â

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/27/tyson-jost-showing-leadership-at-avalanche-development-camp/

It's hard not to like this guy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll preface this by saying I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, it was camp drills and 2 on 1 type stuff but Makar's skill level is ridiculous and he reminds me of MacKinnon.

That is a great couple quotes from Jost, I agree.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Of course a head coach is going to pick his own assistant. What did you expect?

I'm sorry, I greatly dislike Bednar as well, but if the head coach doesn't have a large say, who the **** else is picking assistant coaches for him? Basically, why wouldn't Bednar have a significant say as to who is on his staff?

GM's pick assistant coaches quite often. Especially when the head coach is on the hot seat.

Just take the Avs assistants for example. Tony Granato wasn't Hartley's pick. Neither Lefebvre or Kono were Sacco's pick. Neither was Deadmarsh. Nolan Pratt wasn't Roy's pick.

Last edited:

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I'll preface this by saying I'm not trying to be hyperbolic, it was camp drills and 2 on 1 type stuff but Makar's skill level is ridiculous and he reminds me of MacKinnon.

Thats what i like to hear. Makar really has grown on me. He sure is going to be a fun guy to have in the system

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Yeah, hard to say how much IQ he has in drills like this, but he was just like MacKinnon on defence. Very flashy, very quick, and solid vision. He walked a couple of guys at time.

Now this doesn't change my opinion about him because he looked quite raw in other drills. But I can say that I would be shocked if he doesn't somehow make the NHL Godforbid barring any injury.

Though with that said, Mironov was easily the best player. A guy that physical who can skate that well and isn't a dumb hockey player is quite the combination. He's what Siemens was supposed to become IMO. Gregorie and Shaw were the best tryouts. Not going to say anything about goalers because a lot of the drills were anti-goaler. Do make some comment on twitter if you want to see those.

Morrison really struggled in the transition drills but was a beast in the versus 2v2 and 3v3 ones. Besides Mironov I thought Beaudin was the best overall considering all the drills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad