Friedman: Devan Dubynk to the Sharks being worked on

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If those two go for a 1st it'll probably say more about Donato than Dubnyk. At best I think Dubnyk with max retention is only worth the conditional 7th that Bjugstad got. Intriguing enough to take a 1 year flyer on as a backup, but that's about it.
Either way I think it's a bad move for SJ. Donato MIGHT be worth a 2nd, add on Dubnyk (granted it's only a year) and I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for the pair.

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
I see this coming up everywhere right now, even among credible journalists, and I just don't think it's true. I get that his SV% and GAA looked respectable prior to last year, but Minnesota's defense has made his life easier than almost any goalie in the league since he arrived. I don't have the numbers on hand, but he's rarely faced scoring chances from high-danger areas relative to other goalies.

What really kills you is watching the Wild play great in their own end, keeping all the shots to the outside... and seeing a stinker, unscreened shot from the point go straight through Dubnyk. Night after night. That's not something that started last year.

Sounds just like Jones. Man, can't wait to have two goalies like that!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So pick #31 for Dubnyk (0 retention) and Donato?

Seems like a solid deal for Minny.

With the rumors of Minny maybe trading Greenway, I wonder if they look to use Greenway + 31 for their new goalie.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Let me just re-emphasize:

Will Sharks Trade into Middle Rounds of 2020 NHL Draft?
“If I’m looking to acquire, for example a goaltender, I would prefer not to have to use picks from this year,” Wilson shared. “Would I listen to [an offer]? Absolutely. But this is a pretty good draft for what we’re looking for. Those picks are valued. Our first-round pick next year is valued. Somebody would have to knock my socks off to make me move around on that.”

Don't get your hopes up for a shiny new 1st round pick.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So pick #31 for Dubnyk (0 retention) and Donato?

Seems like a solid deal for Minny.

With the rumors of Minny maybe trading Greenway, I wonder if they look to use Greenway + 31 for their new goalie.
If they trade Donato they likely keep Greenway. And I can't see them spending either of those pieces on a goalie.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I get the feeling Fleury ends up in Minnesota.

Reactions: JP Flow

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I see this coming up everywhere right now, even among credible journalists, and I just don't think it's true. I get that his SV% and GAA looked respectable prior to last year, but Minnesota's defense has made his life easier than almost any goalie in the league since he arrived. I don't have the numbers on hand, but he's rarely faced scoring chances from high-danger areas relative to other goalies.

What really kills you is watching the Wild play great in their own end, keeping all the shots to the outside... and seeing a stinker, unscreened shot from the point go straight through Dubnyk. Night after night. That's not something that started last year.

Exactly. He’s a system goalie. Got absolutely torched in Edmonton and it would be like that version in Buffalo. Also I’m a little nervous about a Kuemper trade as well because I feel like he’s been a systems goalie as well. Only really showed flashes in the last 1.5 years.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Exactly. He’s a system goalie. Got absolutely torched in Edmonton and it would be like that version in Buffalo. Also I’m a little nervous about a Kuemper trade as well because I feel like he’s been a systems goalie as well. Only really showed flashes in the last 1.5 years.
Kuemper's another one that Guerin's apparently looked into. I haven't seen him much in Arizona but what we saw when he was with the Wild makes me think he's not just hiding behind good defense. There's real talent and ability there. My worry with Kuemper is how well he keeps it together when things go south for him: he could be lights out for several games, but once a few slipped past him he go completely off the rails.

I think he's largely moved past that, but there was a Min/Arz game last season that gave me pause. Kuemper was white hot going into that game and looked good to start, but for some reason he decided to start chirping Staal. I don't think it was anything ugly, but some of the Wild players (Koivu particularly) took exception to it and started barking at him. Kuemper wilted soon after that and.... that game didn't go well for the Coyotes.

So I don't know. Good goalie, but still kind of erratic.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
If they trade Donato they likely keep Greenway. And I can't see them spending either of those pieces on a goalie.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I get the feeling Fleury ends up in Minnesota.
I've flip flop about a million times on wanting Flower. I'm more open to it if Dubnyk's cap is gone.

Just because taking Flower means we got something pretty sweet from Vegas. Either Glass or Krebs plus a middle pick id guess.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
If the Wild get a first out of this... woah. Robbery.
It is the last pick in the first. I'm not saying it's smart for the Sharks to trade that Dubnyk and Donato, but if it was the first pick in the 2nd round instead of the last pick in the first, I don't think people would have the same perception

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Kuemper's another one that Guerin's apparently looked into. I haven't seen him much in Arizona but what we saw when he was with the Wild makes me think he's not just hiding behind good defense. There's real talent and ability there. My worry with Kuemper is how well he keeps it together when things go south for him: he could be lights out for several games, but once a few slipped past him he go completely off the rails.

I think he's largely moved past that, but there was a Min/Arz game last season that gave me pause. Kuemper was white hot going into that game and looked good to start, but for some reason he decided to start chirping Staal. I don't think it was anything ugly, but some of the Wild players (Koivu particularly) took exception to it and started barking at him. Kuemper wilted soon after that and.... that game didn't go well for the Coyotes.

So I don't know. Good goalie, but still kind of erratic.
Yeah to be honest I havnt watched that much of Kuemper but I feel like he’s definitley better than Dubnyk, but those elite stats over the last 1.5 yrs, Just don’t think he can keep that up. Did he ever push to be the starter in Minnesota? I’m just curious because I’ve heard buffalo would be interested but I wouldn’t wanna throw a first at him lol.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
This would be incredibly dumb if the Sharks moved the 2021 with Dubnyk and Jones platooning.

He states in that exact same quote that the 1st next year is valued. Minnesota is not getting a 1st this year or next for Dubnyk.

Maybe you can entertain the thought of getting SJ's first in 2245 (but I'm pretty sure there is a limit to what a team can trade from draft capital).

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
He states in that exact same quote that the 1st next year is valued. Minnesota is not getting a 1st this year or next for Dubnyk.

Maybe you can entertain the thought of getting SJ's first in 2245 (but I'm pretty sure there is a limit to what a team can trade from draft capital).

Dude you keep commenting the same thing. With no proof

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If the Sharks pay a 1st...just wow. I don't believe that's a legit rumor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad