Friedman: Devan Dubynk to the Sharks being worked on

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Amusingly, if you follow the paper trail on that tweet you go back to this article. Before I went out to mow the lawn that article had a bald assertion in the first few lines that Wilson would be trading a 1st for Dubnyk and Donato. No citation or even the claim of "sources," just the assertion. It's mysteriously disappeared in the last hour or so.

Anyway, it makes sense that they'd be taking time with this. Dubnyk's probably got a choice of situations: be sent to San Jose or Iowa. Between the two San Jose's probably preferable, but his wife's medical situation has to be a concern. Not that the Bay Area has any shortage of great doctors, but if Dubnyk's looking at the possibility of spending swaths of next year in a "bubble" he's going to want to know what sort of support networks his family's going to have. I have zero doubt that the Sharks will do what they can there, but it's still a tricky choice.

At some point you have to wonder if Dubnyk doesn't just pull the cord and call it a career.
Do we know exactly what the health issues of his wife are? I know I’ve read about it but I don’t remember specifics.

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
Jokes on you ive been disappointed about this deal for days
lol

You're trying really hard to talk yourself into the hope that Wilson isn't about to do something incredibly dumb.
Don't all of us do that with our GMs when trade rumors pick up steam?

Gambrell and Sorensen are overkill. The last thing the Wild need are random bottom 6 players.

Dubnyk no retention should return future considerations or maybe a conditional 7th
Dubnyk at 50% should return a 5th-ish pick
Dubnyk no retention + Donato should get a 3rd-ish pick
Dubnyk 50% retention + Donato is worth a 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

God I hope it's 50%, but I could live with any of those scenarios.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Do we know exactly what the health issues of his wife are? I know I’ve read about it but I don’t remember specifics.
There haven't been any details, just that she seemed perfectly healthy until last fall and collapsed. No clue what the problem actually is, but it sounded pretty touch-and-go for a few weeks. I want to say sometime around January she had some procedure that stabilized things and there hasn't been much info since then; I assume no news is good news there.

Still, even if she's doing well now that's the sort of thing that lingers in the back of your head indefinitely. Road trips are one thing, but not knowing how the league will actually operate next year is completely different. The more I think about it the more I think it's less about San Jose vs Iowa than San Jose vs retirement.

Reactions: Gecklund

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There haven't been any details, just that she seemed perfectly healthy until last fall and collapsed. No clue what the problem actually is, but it sounded pretty touch-and-go for a few weeks. I want to say sometime around January she had some procedure that stabilized things and there hasn't been much info since then; I assume no news is good news there.

Still, even if she's doing well now that's the sort of thing that lingers in the back of your head indefinitely. Road trips are one thing, but not knowing how the league will actually operate next year is completely different. The more I think about it the more I think it's less about San Jose vs Iowa than San Jose vs retirement.

That makes sense. Given his age and expiring contract, he may just want to retire a year early than a year late.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What the f*** are you on about? You get a 2nd and a good C prospect for a goalie that MIN don’t want and a player MIN doesn’t play and a 1.5M 4th line winger.
Minnesota doesn't want or need Gambrell or Sorensen.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Honestly, at this point, if GMBG can get anyone to take Dubnyk for even a 7th I'd be happy.. so the fact that we're talking about a 2nd rounder coming back is mind blowing..

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Guys look like the 1st round pick coming back might be true

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Maybe there’s a good reason why it might be separate trades</p>&mdash; Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) <a href="">October 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Guys look like the 1st round pick coming back might be true

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Maybe there’s a good reason why it might be separate trades</p>&mdash; Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) <a href="">October 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’d imagine Donato trade may happen regardless

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I am confused. Can you please explain to me what you mean?
The Dubnyk trade seems contingent on Dubnyk's comfort level with San Jose. With his wife's uncertain health situation, they aren't going to acquire him if he'd just retire rather than moving out to California.

No such worries with Donato.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
The Dubnyk trade seems contingent on Dubnyk's comfort level with San Jose. With his wife's uncertain health situation, they aren't going to acquire him if he'd just retire rather than moving out to California.

No such worries with Donato.

Okay, i understand now. Thank You

Reactions: Bazeek

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What on earth are the Sharks trying to accomplish? Paying a boatload to their blueline and surrounding that with the most below average goaltending they can find. They might as well sign Jimmy Howard then!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->