Friedman: Devan Dubynk to the Sharks being worked on

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Third times the charm for those with reading comprehension problems. My notes are bolded.

“If I’m looking to acquire, for example a goaltender (ie Dubnyk), I would prefer not to have to use picks from this year (that means 2020),” Wilson shared (This is a quote from current Sharks GM Doug Wilson). “Would I listen to [an offer]? Absolutely. (You can ask for a first and Doug will hear it...and most likely laugh his ass off) But this is a pretty good draft for what we’re looking for. (Reiterating that dealing a 2020 pick is unlikely) Those picks are valued. (Really unlikely) Our first-round pick next year is valued.(Don't count on it being a 1st in 2021 either.) Somebody would have to knock my socks off to make me move around on that. (ie not Dubnyk)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Third times the charm for those with reading comprehension problems. My notes are bolded.

“If I’m looking to acquire, for example a goaltender (ie Dubnyk), I would prefer not to have to use picks from this year (that means 2020),” Wilson shared (This is a quote from current Sharks GM Doug Wilson). “Would I listen to [an offer]? Absolutely. (You can ask for a first and Doug will hear it...and most likely laugh his ass off) But this is a pretty good draft for what we’re looking for. (Reiterating that dealing a 2020 pick is unlikely) Those picks are valued. (Really unlikely) Our first-round pick next year is valued.(Don't count on it being a 1st in 2021 either.) Somebody would have to knock my socks off to make me move around on that. (ie not Dubnyk)

You can put your own thoughts and feelings into any quote, but it doesn't change the words that are actually said.

Having said that, I'm not getting my hopes up one bit that a 1st round pick is in play for Dubnyk. It would be a catastrophe for San Jose if it was.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

You're trying really hard to talk yourself into the hope that Wilson isn't about to do something incredibly dumb.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You're trying really hard to talk yourself into the hope that Wilson isn't about to do something incredibly dumb.

Whatever helps you. Sorry for trying to bring people back to reality.

If anyone actually believes that Wilson would trade a high pick for Devan Dubnyk with all things considered, they have not been paying attention for the last 20 years or were born yesterday.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Do you really think Dubnyk is the “knock my socks off” offer? Do y’all even read quotes when they’re posted?

Nobody here has idea how Wilson feels about Dubnyk. Him being interested at all is shocking to me, and it will be beyond shocking to me if we get anything of value for him, but again, I'm definitely not holding my breath on a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd or 3rd). Dubnyk off of the roster is value enough for me, and as long as Guerin doesn't screw it up by adding anything he shouldn't, or taking back anything he shouldn't, it's all good.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Do you really think Dubnyk is the “knock my socks off” offer? Do y’all even read quotes when they’re posted?
Do you really think that Wilson's quote is anything more than general bullshit? Has a GM ever said that he doesn't think his draft picks are all that valuable and that he would be more than willing to give them away at a discount?

I think that a 1st for Dubnyk is beyond insanity, so it would be crazy to think that's going to happen. It's just as insane to put any credence into what Wilson said. The fact that you guys keep posting it, does nothing but show just how much you're panicking right now.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Nobody here has idea how Wilson feels about Dubnyk. Him being interested at all is shocking to me, and it will be beyond shocking to me if we get anything of value for him, but again, I'm definitely not holding my breath on a 1st round pick (or even a 2nd or 3rd). Dubnyk off of the roster is value enough for me, and as long as Guerin doesn't screw it up by adding anything he shouldn't, or taking back anything he shouldn't, it's all good.
I posted this earlier in the thread and I think most fans of both teams were pretty receptive and open to it.

COL 2nd+Gambrell+Sorensen for Dubnyk (50%)+Donato+late-ish pick (4/5)

I think it’s definitely something that could be realistic for both teams. It was before DW said he wouldn’t move the picks for just anything though but I think he’s mostly talking about 31/34. Basically gives MIN another C and a replacement level forward and a pretty solid pick. Gives SJ another middle 6 option and a backup goalie with only 1 year left. Maybe they can then pay Seattle to take Jones and sign an all new tandem next season. I think this is something that would make sense for both teams, even if it is maybe slight overpayment from SJ.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Do you actually think anybody here thinks that the 1st rounder is in play? All people are doing is reacting to a tweet, which at this point appears to be incredibly off base.

Sign of the times, yes I do think some people think that a 1st is in play here. Twitter brings out the stupid in people, they react rather than think critically and my cynicism for this board is strong after all these years. I know you have made your position clear which are reasonable.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I posted this earlier in the thread and I think most fans of both teams were pretty receptive and open to it.

COL 2nd+Gambrell+Sorensen for Dubnyk (50%)+Donato+late-ish pick (4/5)

I think it’s definitely something that could be realistic for both teams. It was before DW said he wouldn’t move the picks for just anything though but I think he’s mostly talking about 31/34. Basically gives MIN another C and a replacement level forward and a pretty solid pick. Gives SJ another middle 6 option and a backup goalie with only 1 year left. Maybe they can then pay Seattle to take Jones and sign an all new tandem next season. I think this is something that would make sense for both teams, even if it is maybe slight overpayment from SJ.
Gambrell and Sorensen are overkill. The last thing the Wild need are random bottom 6 players.

Dubnyk no retention should return future considerations or maybe a conditional 7th
Dubnyk at 50% should return a 5th-ish pick
Dubnyk no retention + Donato should get a 3rd-ish pick
Dubnyk 50% retention + Donato is worth a 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Gambrell and Sorensen are overkill. The last thing the Wild need are random bottom 6 players.

Dubnyk no retention should return future considerations or maybe a conditional 7th

This is more or less than what I actually expect.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
Do you really think that Wilson's quote is anything more than general bullshit? Has a GM ever said that he doesn't think his draft picks are all that valuable and that he would be more than willing to give them away at a discount?

I think that a 1st for Dubnyk is beyond insanity, so it would be crazy to think that's going to happen. It's just as insane to put any credence into what Wilson said. The fact that you guys keep posting it, does nothing but show just how much you're panicking right now.

I think what he said was reasonable, I don't think it's as insane to believe him as it is to believe a 1st for Dubnyk would happen.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Amusingly, if you follow the paper trail on that tweet you go back to this article. Before I went out to mow the lawn that article had a bald assertion in the first few lines that Wilson would be trading a 1st for Dubnyk and Donato. No citation or even the claim of "sources," just the assertion. It's mysteriously disappeared in the last hour or so.

Anyway, it makes sense that they'd be taking time with this. Dubnyk's probably got a choice of situations: be sent to San Jose or Iowa. Between the two San Jose's probably preferable, but his wife's medical situation has to be a concern. Not that the Bay Area has any shortage of great doctors, but if Dubnyk's looking at the possibility of spending swaths of next year in a "bubble" he's going to want to know what sort of support networks his family's going to have. I have zero doubt that the Sharks will do what they can there, but it's still a tricky choice.

At some point you have to wonder if Dubnyk doesn't just pull the cord and call it a career.

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Amusingly, if you follow the paper trail on that tweet you go back to this article. Before I went out to mow the lawn that article had a bald assertion in the first few lines that Wilson would be trading a 1st for Dubnyk and Donato. No citation or even the claim of "sources," just the assertion. It's mysteriously disappeared in the last hour or so.

I read that article as well when it was claimed. The writer also referred to Doug Wilson as Doug Armstrong both times he was mentioned.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Sorensen would be going together other way because of cap reasons, Gambrell cause of depth reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00