Friedman: Devan Dubynk to the Sharks being worked on

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Whatever one thinks of Russo, he seems pretty sure that Guerin's not sniffing around Pittsburgh's goalies.

Fair enough, im sure he's definitely trying to narrow down his options before moving one of his goalies. I just figured their availability and time there, and relationship with Rutherford.

I don't follow Russo, but he's around the team and has provided good insight on the team in the past, but not a regular i read.

Reactions: qqaz and Bazeek

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just trade a goalie and hope another comes along? Or trade one with a plan or short list of how you'll replace him?

Well if we trade Dubnyk, we still have Stalock and Kahkonen. Dubnyk isn't an upgrade over either of them, so it's not like we're missing out on anything.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Probably Minnesota talking with other teams on who they want, wouldn't be surprised if Guerin was working on something to get a goalie out of Pittsburg.

it definetly isn't Murrray. i remember reading somewhere Guerin isn't interested in Matt Murray

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Fair enough, im sure he's definitely trying to narrow down his options before moving one of his goalies. I just figured their availability and time there, and relationship with Rutherford.

I don't follow Russo, but he's around the team and has provided good insight on the team in the past, but not a regular i read.

He also has relationship with Marc-Andre Flury who can help Kaapo Kahkonen

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What if Minnesota wins the sweepstakes on Markstrom. Seems like a Swedish mafia is forming in Minny. Then Dubnyk is just a Cap dump, take a 7th round pick back, like the one given up for Bjustad, or maybe a 4th for the value of Donato.

With nearly $16 million in Cap space then, Wild can add Markstrom, Stepan (maybe with retention) and re-sign free agents.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

I can't get over how stupid this would be.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
What if Minnesota wins the sweepstakes on Markstrom. Seems like a Swedish mafia is forming in Minny. Then Dubnyk is just a Cap dump, take a 7th round pick back, like the one given up for Bjustad, or maybe a 4th for the value of Donato.

With nearly $16 million in Cap space then, Wild can add Markstrom, Stepan (maybe with retention) and re-sign free agents.
Don’t see the Wild being interested in him and quite frankly I can’t think of many long-term UFA goalie signings that work out well

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The funny part about Dubnyk and Donato potentially bringing back a 1st is that it will show once again that this site is clueless when it comes to goalies and goalie trade value :laugh:

Reactions: qqaz

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The funny part about Dubnyk and Donato potentially bringing back a 1st is that it will show once again that this site is clueless when it comes to goalies and goalie trade value :laugh:
If those two go for a 1st it'll probably say more about Donato than Dubnyk. At best I think Dubnyk with max retention is only worth the conditional 7th that Bjugstad got. Intriguing enough to take a 1 year flyer on as a backup, but that's about it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If those two go for a 1st it'll probably say more about Donato than Dubnyk. At best I think Dubnyk with max retention is only worth the conditional 7th that Bjugstad got. Intriguing enough to take a 1 year flyer on as a backup, but that's about it.

I honestly think this is just undervaluing Dubnyk.

Dubnyk falls into the same category as Murray to me: good goalie who had a bad year. Just like bad goalies who have good years don't have good goalie value (look at the Allen trade), I don't think good goalies who had bad years have bad goalie value.

If that package brings back a 1st, I'll interpret that to mean that Donato has the value of a high 2nd and Dubnyk has the value of a low 2nd.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Dubnyk falls into the same category as Murray to me: good goalie who had a bad year. Just like bad goalies who have good years don't have good goalie value (look at the Allen trade), I don't think good goalies who had bad years have bad goalie value.

If that package brings back a 1st, I'll interpret that to mean that Donato has the value of a high 2nd and Dubnyk has the value of a low 2nd.

Dubynk has been bad for years. He also has had maybe the easiest job in the NHL. The Wild are an elite shot suppression team and Dubynk still can’t be provide anything but league worst goaltending.

Donato has some value. He can be a 3rd line sparkplug and maybe even a 2nd line scorer. I don’t know what in earth makes SJS think that together they are worth a 1st.

But as a Wild fan I hope they pull the trigger before Wilson wakes up and realizes this is a gross overpay

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I see this coming up everywhere right now, even among credible journalists, and I just don't think it's true. I get that his SV% and GAA looked respectable prior to last year, but Minnesota's defense has made his life easier than almost any goalie in the league since he arrived. I don't have the numbers on hand, but he's rarely faced scoring chances from high-danger areas relative to other goalies.

What really kills you is watching the Wild play great in their own end, keeping all the shots to the outside... and seeing a stinker, unscreened shot from the point go straight through Dubnyk. Night after night. That's not something that started last year.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Age for me is a huge factor. Also unfortunately Dubnyk has been dealing with some serious family health issues. So there’s that too.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What is the Sharks (apparent) fascination with Dubnyk and Donato?

If the Wild get a first out of this... woah. Robbery.

Before this 1st nonsense actually starts being believed, here is an actual quote from Doug Wilson:

Will Sharks Trade into Middle Rounds of 2020 NHL Draft? (paywall)
“If I’m looking to acquire, for example a goaltender, I would prefer not to have to use picks from this year,” Wilson shared. “Would I listen to [an offer]? Absolutely. But this is a pretty good draft for what we’re looking for. Those picks are valued. Our first-round pick next year is valued. Somebody would have to knock my socks off to make me move around on that.”

Not only does he suggest he won't move the 1st this year, he will not even move any '20 pick for Dubnyk. I can say in full confidence that the prospect of acquiring Dubnyk after his season is not knocking anyone's socks off.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I've always loved how aggressive DW has been in San Jose. He's kept the team a consistent threat for a long time.

But I don't know if he can afford to make a deal as bad as this sounds. The team is in a tough spot as it is. League worst goaltending will sewer them.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t see how anyone is dumb enough to give up a 1st for Dubnyk. But, I guess, DW has already blown me away with having Dubnyk as a top target and wanting to run with a Dubnyk/Jones tandem

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad