Proposal: detroits 4OA for a prospect or young nhler

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
guys off the top of my head i was thinking of were recent pix such as podkolzin - bouchard - cozens - dobson - broberg . maybe there gm likes the guy avaliable at 4 this draft and yzerman likes one of these recent draftees better than the 4th pick

I think this is the line the OP had when suggesting his post, but think none of those guys is 1:1 for the pick.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
If Detroit entertained 1-4, it would not be 1 for 1 though.

Think multiple picks/prospects that Yzerman could play with.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
As a wings fan, I already consider the next 2-3 years a waste. This team is so far away from even competing. That being said, i’d hate to trade for a kid, waste 3 years of his contract, he gets tired of losing and wants to hit Free agency as soon as he turns 26 and now you start the rebuild again. Much rather have that happen to an 18 year old and hopefully by the time he’s 23 we have a decent product on the ice and we have 3 years to compete with him/convince him to stay. Long story short, we’re sooooooo far away from competing, there is no need to get older, even if “older” is only talking about the difference between an 18 and 22 year old. 4 years is a big deal when you become a UFA after 7.

Same goes for free agents, no point in signing a bad contract this year. Even if we get a good player(s), an extra five wins won’t help this team, hell, an extra ten wins won’t help this team. If we’re going to use the cap, I’d rather trade for a terrible contract instead and get a 1st rounder back.

Reactions: njx9

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
guys off the top of my head i was thinking of were recent pix such as podkolzin - bouchard - cozens - dobson - broberg . maybe there gm likes the guy avaliable at 4 this draft and yzerman likes one of these recent draftees better than the 4th pick
Sounds reasonable. A bit of a niche premise but I’m interested to see what's discussed here. I assume Adam Fox moves the needle? I wouldn’t do it as a Ranger fan but I suspect the value is right and he fits the ask.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
cant be older than 23 , and its just a 1 for 1 deal
I get the "I don't want a truck load of your team's garbage" disclaimer but really? only 1 for 1s? That's such a narrow window of what young players are exactly worth the #4OA. Clearly most of the offers posted are not 1 for 1s.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Cirelli isn't bringing you back the 8th to 10th ever. Just stop. The only reason he managed the points he did his last 2 years which weren't all that impressive is because teams never play their first d pairing against his line. IMO, on another team it's a stretch he's a really good 2nd line player. Detroit is going to suck for quite some time which is why I suggested they trade Larkin for prospects and picks. Detroit should take Drysdale and build from the back out first.

Trading Larkin is a great way to ensure we're very bad for a VERY long time. What an awful idea

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
many say just keep the pick . my problem with that is im trying to build a big bodied team that dominates territory in the rough and tumble play offs , i dont care about regular season games where small bodys thrive on power play minutes adding up to high scoring totals . then they get rag dolled in playoffs , or run down over the years from getting bodied by bigger players . and all the guys there at 4OA are smaller type players . plus none are centers in nhl , maybe rossi but hes very light , short strided and reached = doesnt fit my design . yes if no other choice i take BPA , but if i can trade the pick for a player that fits my design im doing so . for instance many say cozens isnt going to be a high scoring center in nhl , but more so big bodied , good skating and good in traffic . and maybe buffy wants a more talented finess guy like perfetti or rossi at 4OA . thats the type fit im looking for

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There is going to be a great prospect in that slot,cant see why Detroit moves the pick..

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
many say just keep the pick . my problem with that is im trying to build a big bodied team that dominates territory in the rough and tumble play offs , i dont care about regular season games where small bodys thrive on power play minutes adding up to high scoring totals . then they get rag dolled in playoffs , or run down over the years from getting bodied by bigger players . and all the guys there at 4OA are smaller type players . plus none are centers in nhl , maybe rossi but hes very light , short strided and reached = doesnt fit my design . yes if no other choice i take BPA , but if i can trade the pick for a player that fits my design im doing so . for instance many say cozens isnt going to be a high scoring center in nhl , but more so big bodied , good skating and good in traffic . and maybe buffy wants a more talented finess guy like perfetti or rossi at 4OA . thats the type fit im looking for

I don't think this is a terrible take, to be honest, I just think it's misdirected. The biggest need Detroit has is for high quality players. Right now, we have a borderline 1C who'd be an incredible 2C, and two top 6 wingers, one of whom has had a hard time completing a season healthy. There are a bunch of maybes on D (and none who'd be legitimate top 4s for just about anyone else in the league), and they all play the same side. The first thing this team needs is top line and top pair players, of any kind, who fit any play style. If you think Rossi is a top 30 W or C, or at least gives you a respectable 1-2 punch at C, then you have to take him (same with Perfetti or Raymond). If you think Sanderson or Drysdale are 1D-types, then you should take one and hope that future you gets to decide which RD to deal.

The only way you move this pick, IMO, is with additional other assets for a real 1C or 1D (probably someone coming off their ELC and demanding more money than their team wants to give them). And I don't think we have the ponies to add to get the kind of player we'd need.

I think, as Wings fans, we just need to face that this is likely a much longer rebuild than we'd like (partially because the cupboard was so bare when we started and partially because the NHL has designed a system that penalizes bad teams) and that the only way out is a mix of dumb luck (hoping Yzerman hits on another Point and Kucherov [while avoiding the somewhat massive number of outright misses], for instance, overcoming the lottery in a year where your top end isn't Yakupov for another) and time to add good players. Trading 4 for anything short of an elite player isn't going to help if that player is going to be 30+ by the time the team finally has enough talent to be competitive.

Long-winded way of saying that the team isn't going to get what it needs in a trade, barring some ludicrous, unforeseen trade/contract demands from someone who desperately wants a house in Birmingham.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I can see them trading up one spot to draft Stutzle. Offering someone like Veleno.
That goes against everything Yzerman has said. He wants as many picks as possible in an attempt that some of them may hit. Veleno is important prospect in the organization, he’s not going to trade him to move up one pick. The difference between a Stutzle and a Raymond or Perfetti may not be as big as we think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad