Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
No great surprise that those who are generally most negative about the wings are the most negative about the pick.

I wonder how many were crying out for some size up front when our skill guys were getting closed out in the playoffs or people like Bjugstad and Jordan Stall were tearing us a new one eith alarming regularity.

In response -

1) writing off a player or annointing them at 18 is stupid unless they are a franchise talent at that age or develop some debilitating illness/injury.

If not, scouting would be easy and Zetterberg would hsve been a top 5 pick and Patrick Stefan would be a 3rd rounder.

2) some people are talking about Rasmussen like he has no pedigree. Sure he may plateau and end up like a much bigger Maltby or Cleary. But he is better then them at the same stage of development at almost every facet of his game, bar Cleary's gaudy draft season numbers.
He was on pace to score 50 goals with only one clear NHL potential team mate, and showed in preseason that although ugly ok style he will score st NHL level.

3) one has to consider that this was strategic drafting by the wings. Yes, there were more skilled players selected around the same time, but how often does a team have the opportunity to draft a 6 foot 6 centre who is not only competent in all facets of his game and can skate at an above average level, but already had NHL level hands in tight. These guys just don't grow on trees, and to have him and Mantha in the top 6 (even if no-one else emerges 0f impressive size) gives us a much better balance as a roster in the medium term, and allows us to draft purely for skill in our forward picks for the next 2/3 drafts. It's a pick that is partly about reinforcements asap and partly sbout long term roster balance.

4) of course with the wings brass banging on about it, hearing about 'character' is a little dull, but all reports suggest this kid is super serious and super focused and soaked up info like a sponge at camp. This has got to make the organisation feel optimistic about his development, particularly as not only does he seem to know where improvement is needed in interviews, but early indications suggest his skating, passing and defensive play have all improved since last year.

5) for those that forgot, he was still getting back from wrist surgery in pre-season and has had a couple of absences this season. This tends to affect a players rhythm and coming of surgery it's only going to be accentuated.

I'm not saying that those who disagree with the pick are wrong. Out of what was left I liked the 2 Swedish D and the Russian winger more, but not by much.

Had he been picked ahead of most of those who went higher in the draft I would have been more disappointed, as I think some of them have elite potential.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Are you new here? People complain about every Red Wings draft pick. Go back if you can and find the Larkin draft pick thread. Hell, there are people here who still would rather have Chychrun instead of Cholowski and Hronek. Everyone hated when Holland traded down and got Mantha and Bertuzzi, too.

I'm not new, I've been here for a few years, it's just recently though that, the whining has really gotten on my nerves.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
As an aside, I don't know why some people are so down on Tyler Wright. So far his early round drafting (rounds 1-3) looks superior to Jim Nills. If we can marry that with a couple of Hakan late round top 6 forwards or top 4 D, we'll be doing very nicely indeed.

I just hope Givani Smith can take a step forward now he is fit...physically he's a brick

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This thread is unbearable now... cool.

Also, can we just TRY to address the specific arguments of the specific posters we disagree with? Because stereotyping people and lumping them together is not only lazy, but also condescending, while not lending itself to any kind of meaningful or constructive conversation.

Are you new here? People complain about every Red Wings draft pick. Go back if you can and find the Larkin draft pick thread. Hell, there are people here who still would rather have Chychrun instead of Cholowski and Hronek. Everyone hated when Holland traded down and got Mantha and Bertuzzi, too.

Exhibit A. And BS dude. Go back and look at the Mantha draft pick thread. Plenty of people loved that pick. I loved that pick. But nah that's right I have to be grouped together with the 'whiners', I couldn't have possibly loved that pick. People just have to fall into 1 bucket because it's the internet.

Let's stop stereotyping and flaming and being assholes to each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syckle78

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Rasmussens numbers dont look any better than last season, I was hoping for some improvement

I don't actually watch him so he could be playing much better for all I know

Reactions: 21 Savage

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'm not new, I've been here for a few years, it's just recently though that, the whining has really gotten on my nerves.

Criticizing is about thinking critically and offering thoughts.
Whining is when something gets on your nerves and you have an emotional response.

Anyway, I responded to a post with my thoughts.
Like I said, we have Rasmussen now. I hope he succeeds.
I'll leave it at that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Rasmussens numbers dont look any better than last season, I was hoping for some improvement

Its a difference of 1.1 to 1.2 which is a difference of about 7 points over a whole season. But what a lot of people are forgetting for some reason is that Rasmussen hadnt played a game since last January or February before coming to the red wings camp this year because of surgery he had. Hes also taken a big step ahead in actually leading his team this year as well.

Without looking hes went from ~5th or 6th on his team in points per game last season to first this year coming off an injury that had him sidelined for 6 months. Hard to look at raw point totals when hes on such a low scoring team. Same reason he was one of the top performers against Russia when the talent levels were equal across the board

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

He’s averaging nearly twice the assists/game (0,71 vs 0,42) which is important considering playmaking was perhaps the #1 issue people had with him. I believe his ES/PP splits are better too but don’t have exact numbers. It’d be nice if he keeps improving through the season but I don’t think you should expect some crazy numbers, instead be happy to know he’s a guy that has a big chance to translate a lot of what he’s doing to the pro game. Tons of players can cheat defensively and dangle in juniors to put up huge numbers and then just disappear when they’re forced to learn defense and their old tricks stop working in the pros.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
2 years from now
Tatar- Rasmussen- Mantha
Svechnikov- Larkin- Bertuzzi
AA-Helm-?
?-Gleny-Aby

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to see Ras with Mantha . Mantha belonged to 1st line , Larkin can be used everywhere and Nielsen could be on 3 line

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Bertuzzi is so far from a top 6 role at this stage.

Mantha - Larkin - Nyquist
Tatar - Rasmussen - Athanasiou
Svechnikov - Nielsen - Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

D-pairings are based on stylistic fit:

DeKeyser - Hronek
Cholowski - Daley
Saarijarvi - Jensen

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Its a difference of 1.1 to 1.2 which is a difference of about 7 points over a whole season. But what a lot of people are forgetting for some reason is that Rasmussen hadnt played a game since last January or February before coming to the red wings camp this year because of surgery he had. Hes also taken a big step ahead in actually leading his team this year as well.

Without looking hes went from ~5th or 6th on his team in points per game last season to first this year coming off an injury that had him sidelined for 6 months. Hard to look at raw point totals when hes on such a low scoring team. Same reason he was one of the top performers against Russia when the talent levels were equal across the board

To me, I'm less concerned about his WHL stats.
I liked what I saw in the preseason. Not necessarily thinking he's going to be a first line center or winger, but I think he's got the tools to build on to be a quality NHLer.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Bertuzzi is so far from a top 6 role at this stage.

Mantha - Larkin - Nyquist
Tatar - Rasmussen - Athanasiou
Svechnikov - Nielsen - Bertuzzi
Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

D-pairings are based on stylistic fit:

DeKeyser - Hronek
Cholowski - Daley
Saarijarvi - Jensen

You need someone on that third pairing with some strength and size and defense.
By the time Hronek and Saarijarvi and Rasmussen are here, Nyquist will be gone.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
You need someone on that third pairing with some strength and size and defense.
By the time Hronek and Saarijarvi and Rasmussen are here, Nyquist will be gone.

Yes, I was struggling to find somebody competent to place instead of Jensen that fits the description you provided.

Nobody in the organisation currently slots there.

Trades will happen for sure.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What's the deal in the WHL?
I wanted to see how Rasmussen and Cholowski size up against WHL competition and scoring in this league looks like the Quebec league in the early 80s. Rasmussen is 77th overall and Cholo is 18th among defensemen despite solid production

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
What's the deal in the WHL?
I wanted to see how Rasmussen and Cholowski size up against WHL competition and scoring in this league looks like the Quebec league in the early 80s. Rasmussen is 77th overall and Cholo is 18th among defensemen despite solid production

That top line at swift current Broncos is rather impressive - the lowest of them is averaging 2.22 ppg! And scored almost 3/4 of all team goals between them...

Worth remembering though that Rasmussen's team don't score many goals by comparison (more than half the WHL teams have scored more), and about half WHL players have played 40% more games than he has....

As for Cholowski, Prince George are awful. He's third on the team in points, PPG and +/- , and only slightly behind the team leaders. They are the lowest scorers in the whole CHL. Defensively not too bad all things considered, but they just don't score.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Cholowski 1g+1a, Rasmussen 2g (both ES) after 40 minutes of play tonight.

Kotkansalo 1g
Holway 1g
Pearson 1a
Larsson 12/12 shutout
Zablocki 1a
Gilmour 2a

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 Savage

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Anyone here that follows NCAA that has any word on Patrick Holway this season ?

He's always intrigued me because of his size and being a rhd. I guess what I wonder mostly is his defensive game and how he moves the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00