Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
What do you think of Damien Giroux?

Giroux is the real deal. Right now I'd say he is Saginaw's best player. He is on the smaller side, but plays much larger. He is overshadowed in the media by Jenkins and Grondin, but he will work his *ss off game in game out.

He doesn't have the vision and maybe skill as Gilmour, but his work ethic is too notch! I think he will be a good pick for an NHL team and will fly under radar. With Detroit involved with Saginaw, I'm sure they have a close eye on him and like his style.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Rasmussen's primary assist was sick btw.

giphy.gif

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Giroux is the real deal. Right now I'd say he is Saginaw's best player. He is on the smaller side, but plays much larger. He is overshadowed in the media by Jenkins and Grondin, but he will work his *ss off game in game out.

He doesn't have the vision and maybe skill as Gilmour, but his work ethic is too notch! I think he will be a good pick for an NHL team and will fly under radar. With Detroit involved with Saginaw, I'm sure they have a close eye on him and like his style.
What do you think of Jenkins? Besides the awesome name of course

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Setkov got his first point (1A) last night in the Allsvenskan. He hasn't been playing anymore U20 games for a while, spending most of the time with IK Pantern (Swe-2). Watched part of the game last night and he looked quite comfortable against men. Made some good plays with the puck, not just playing it safe. His skating looks a little "weak" sometimes, maybe just a lack of lower-body strength due to growing so fast. Looking good for a 18 year old 4th rounder.

Here's the highlights, he's #2 in black: http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/hockeyallsvenskan-play#video=qj129

Elfström started the season in a top-6 role in the Allsvenskan but has now fallen to the 4th line and yesterday even the extra forward role, often playing less than 10 minutes a game. Not great for a 20 year old who should be physically ready to play against men... Malmström is still not producing much at the U20 level and no games yet against men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Two nice set-ups by Rasmussen last night: WHL Network

Perry & Petruzzelli went head-to-head - Perry got the W (5-3) with 36/39 saves, Petru 8/11 before being pulled.

Pope 2G 1A

Larsson 18/19 svs

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
29-save shutout for Larsson last night. His stats after first 10 games: 1.41 GAA, 0.948 SV%. And if you take out his best and worst game: 1.13 GAA, 0.958 SV%.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
When a bunch of bandwagonners who had never seen the kid play who jumped on a few well known media level scouts opinions of him and decided he was unworthy, everyone should really learn to take a step back and decide for themselves.

The Red Wings have actual scouts who a paid to look at all these players and decide on the best available player, not rely on the the internet group mutual masturbation think tank.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
When a bunch of bandwagonners who had never seen the kid play who jumped on a few well known media level scouts opinions of him and decided he was unworthy, everyone should really learn to take a step back and decide for themselves.

The Red Wings have actual scouts who a paid to look at all these players and decide on the best available player, not rely on the the internet group mutual *********ion think tank.
Obviously it was just fake scouting when everybody else identified Rasmussen as a long shot to be a skill player. Like fake news, but with scouting reports. I'm picking up what you're putting down. We can't trust the media.

Besides, Detroit has the best scouts. I know it, you know it, everybody knows it. Draft history isn't everything, you know?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
While Rasmussen does look nice and impressed me more than I thought he would, his production in Tri City seems pretty meh.

+1 players drafted as high as him normally make a jump. Look at Suzuki

Very different players, with Suzuki being a smaller skilled guy on a much more attacking team that scores more goals and has better linemates (including an undrafted d-man who is currently on 30 points in 18 games with a much better +/-). Rasmussen, as well as playing with injuries is on a worse team, with worse linemates in a tougher league, and has a totally different physiology and trajectory. Skilled big guys take longer to develop than smaller skill guys or just big grinders.

Would I have been happy had we drafted Suzuki? Reasonably, as I'm reasonably happy with Rasmussen. The only guys I was really really excited about were already off the board- in almost my order of preference - so there were about 6 players that I had equal in my assessment. Rasmussen though is a safer pick, as pre-season alone proved the suspicion this he's a guy who's game will translate to the NHL. If he can stay injury free the rest of the season and keep improving his 2 way play as much as seems to be the case so far this year (much better +/- than last year on a mediocre team), then he might make the jump in 10 months to the big league.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Very different players, with Suzuki being a smaller skilled guy on a much more attacking team that scores more goals and has better linemates (including an undrafted d-man who is currently on 30 points in 18 games with a much better +/-). Rasmussen, as well as playing with injuries is on a worse team, with worse linemates in a tougher league, and has a totally different physiology and trajectory. Skilled big guys take longer to develop than smaller skill guys or just big grinders.

Would I have been happy had we drafted Suzuki? Reasonably, as I'm reasonably happy with Rasmussen. The only guys I was really really excited about were already off the board- in almost my order of preference - so there were about 6 players that I had equal in my assessment. Rasmussen though is a safer pick, as pre-season alone proved the suspicion this he's a guy who's game will translate to the NHL. If he can stay injury free the rest of the season and keep improving his 2 way play as much as seems to be the case so far this year (much better +/- than last year on a mediocre team), then he might make the jump in 10 months to the big league.

Rasmussen has a way better defenseman on his team, in Juuso Valimaki. Frankly, Suzuki is better at elevating those around him at this point. Which is part of why undrafted Sean Durzi has those gaudy numbers. WHL used to be a tougher or lower scoring league, but it’s actually about on par with the scoring in the OHL now. Also not sure “better team” checks out either. Tri City has 26 pts in 19 games whereas Owen Sound has 22 pts in 18 games, and none of Suzuki’s teammates are anything special (at all).

That’s not to say Suzuki is perfect. He doesn’t have the best skating for a guy under 6 feet tall, and he may not be able to stick at center. But he does have considerable upside. There’s probably certain elements of Rasmussen’s game that project better. Probably goal scoring and defensive play. I’m more concerned with seeing him develop as a playmaker and being more versatile than necessarily just stat watching, but yeah, it would be nice if he was blowing it up in the score sheet.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Nick Suzuki? Really? This team doesn't need anymore players like him. Rasmussen brings an element not many teams in the league have. He's going to be a load to move in front of the net and to work over in the corners. I'm extremely happy with the pick, especially after seeing his play in the pre-season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Nick Suzuki? Really? This team doesn't need anymore players like him. Rasmussen brings an element not many teams in the league have. He's going to be a load to move in front of the net and to work over in the corners. I'm extremely happy with the pick, especially after seeing his play in the pre-season.
You wanted to use a top ten pick on a guy because he's big and hard to move? Yikes.

I feel like such a schmuck, begging the Wings to draft for puck skill and hockey sense. I need to get with it.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Eh. If we wanted big, how did we miss out on Adam Ruzicka? Is he just a benefactor of Kyrou? (Speaking of Suzuki... the Attack just got destroyed by Sarnia.)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
While Rasmussen does look nice and impressed me more than I thought he would, his production in Tri City seems pretty meh.

+1 players drafted as high as him normally make a jump. Look at Suzuki
Suzuki last season: 1,48 PPG
This season: 1,72 PPG
Difference: +16%

Rasmussen last season: 1.1 PPG
This season: 1.21 PPG
Difference: +10%

Yeah that additional 6% is really a major jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->