GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 2PM - TSN5/RDS - God Eftermiddag Vingar!

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
As Gord Wilson has said: “They all can’t be oil paintings”

Take the win and refocus. 2 points is 2 points.

What’s worse is.. are we rooting for the Leafs tomorrow?

As someone mentioned earlier, Norris had quite a good game and also the pass that Batherson made to Stützle on the GWG was beautiful.

Reactions: Relapsing

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Survival reflex
Lol. If you're a goalie in the NHL and scared of the puck, you might want to consider a career change. That said, that's exactly what it looked like. It reminds me of when I'm driving and a stone hits my windshield and I duck like I'm going to lose my head.

Reactions: DrEasy

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Lol. If you're a goalie in the NHL and scared of the puck, you might want to consider a career change. That said, that's exactly what it looked like. It reminds me of when I'm driving and a stone hits my windshield and I duck like I'm going to lose my head.
This is why I was never good at paintball!

If I'm ever conscripted... We're f***ed.

The silver lining is that it’s been a hell of a game for the fans so far, full value and then some!

The fans absolutely got their moneys worth today

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The xGF numbers suggest Korpisalo didn't keep us in the game though, they scored slightly more than expected, as did we.

Over the whole game, even just looking at scoring chances, it actually wasn't that large discrepancy, 28-36 SCF, 15-11 HDCF, and 3.81-3.56 xGF.

Quality over quantity I guess.

What I didn't like is how easily we gave up the zone, and how poorly we broke out when we got control, it was a very frustrating game to watch imo because while Det did a good job on the forecheck, I didn't think the created much, it was mostly us conceeding the ice to them.
It was very poor back checking and D zone coverage by the Fs.

I am getting disgusted by the continuing lack of an effective system of defence in the N and D zones when we do not have the puck.

Then after another bad goal the camera pans to DJ looking stunned behind the bench. Too many years of this.

Yep. I'm starting to like JBD. It's pretty clear that he's the type of player who need to rely on his smarts to play a safe smart, positional game. The problem with that is there's a adjustment period to get up to NHL speed mentally. Other players, like Sanderson, can rely on their speed or their strength as a little bit crutch while they adjust to NHL speeds. JBD can't do that, so it's harder for him to make that jump to the NHL. It's clear he's starting to get the hang of it, and I love that DJ is giving him lots of minutes. It's clear the potential is there to be a solid safe bottom pair defenseman. He just needs some seasoning to adjust to NHL speeds.
He got my attention with the big hits in the N zone today. He needs to keep that up.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It was missing a certain anthem singer to get the full Sweden experience.
I am not sure who you are referring to; however, today's anthem singer made me cringe at some of her vocal adventures.

Artem Zub is 28, he's basically five years older than JBD. I'd say we need to give JBD more time to develop.
I am ok with more time for JBD to develop. Thomson needs more time and some NHL experience too and I hope he gets some soon.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
They definitely need to be better at defending the lines, I thought the 3rd period was a marked improvement. I think the game plan and mindset for the 2nd was flawed and they paid a price for it.
I think the coaching is flawed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fluky aren't really rare. Sure the one that went up in the air is a rare one, Shots deflecting off a body (either team) aren't all that rare.
Again, they actually are rare, there are hundreds of shot attempts every game, there are not flukey goals every game, and it's taken into account, xGF uses the historical data to determine the likelihood of shots with various attributes from specific locations.

There's also a difference between flukey and deflections, not all deflections are flukey.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Teams I'm rooting for right now against our Atlantic foes:

Las Vegas (tied 4-4 with Habs) after 2nd
Chicago (lead 1-0 over TB) after 1st

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
CF% were 56, 65, 56 across 3 periods.... So you can conclude we defended well and blocked a lot of shots .. My concern is the amount of time the Sens spent there vs on Offense. Pretty sure that's not how they drew it up. They had a lot of trouble breaking out clean forcing them to give them possession by throwing it off the boards or air mailing it.
The Senators seemed to give the puck away a lot today. The shots against reflect that.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I've been critical of him lately but it was nice to see JBD playing physical today. Hope he keeps it up, seemed like he was really making an effort.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad