GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Ottawa Senators - 2PM - TSN5/RDS - God Eftermiddag Vingar!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It was really just the 2nd period that was trouble, they sat back and tried to coast to a win, adjusted in the third. Detroit had 9 shots 5v5 in the 1st and 3rd period combined vs 19 in the second period.
The team did seem to sit back for sure. They were lazy, slow and Detroit took the game over. It was really a disgusting performance.

Reactions: KnockHobbler

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Stutzle made two highlight reel plays and if he were a Leafs player it would feature for a month on TSN (not a shot at the Leafs just a reality we're a smaller fan base). He was the obvious choice.

The NHL must be thrilled with how the first game went. Big lead for Ottawa. Detroit comes back. Overtime win with a batting shot that rarely happens. It checks all the boxes for them.

In terms of Ottawa - we can play structured against bad teams but any team with speed or experience seems to play well against us. I don't even know if it's entirely DJ Smith's fault but clearly we need a stronger personality to start holding people accountable to a way of playing that will lead to more reliable and consistent wins. Throwing 4 goal leads even with an OT win is ridiculous and if we had lost that would have been crushing.
Guy Boucher forced a poor team to play a strong defensive game in the N and D zones. Coaching can improve team play without the puck. Dj and this coaching staff appear to not know how to do it.

Very bad game by the Sens. Lucky to get 2 points.

Positives, Norris looked very good, Stu was really flying and Kubalik was solid.

Negatives, Chychrun had his worst game as a Sen, Giroux was fighting it and the team was brain dead in their own zone.
I agree with everything except Kubalik. I would rather have Pinto in the lineup than him.

Reactions: Alex1234

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yikes...was able to watch for a bit before going back to bed. They were up 4-0 and things seemed to be going good. What happened?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We'll continue to win some games due to the talent on the roster, but with no defensive structure, attention to detail or accountability under DJ, we won't go far.

That's what should be taken from this game.

I feel like a huge broken record when saying the same things

Some will point to goaltending, Chabot, Brannstrom... when the problem has been the same for years

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yikes...was able to watch for a bit before going back to bed. They were up 4-0 and things seemed to be going good. What happened?
Detroit really pressured in the second while we were trying to run a NZ trap but executed it extremely poorly, they got a bit of a lucky bounce and the flood gates opened with 4 goals in eight mins to tie it up.

We played better but still not great in the third, managed to screw up a 5-3 pp, as well as a late pp that extended into OT, but the Stu scored a beauty to end it.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
About Reimer's reaction, I think goalies basically know where the puck is headed before most shots are even taken, stick angle, etc., which is why deflections work so well. In this case, that puck could have gone anywhere and he had no idea what would happen. It was like a soccer goalie diving out of the way of a penalty kick.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wow, JBD this game looks like a top 4 RD with defence and physicality…..

If this is a glimpse of where he’s heading colour me stoked

Reactions: Cosmix

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Detroit really pressured in the second while we were trying to run a NZ trap but executed it extremely poorly, they got a bit of a lucky bounce and the flood gates opened with 4 goals in eight mins to tie it up.

We played better but still not great in the third, managed to screw up a 5-3 pp, as well as a late pp that extended into OT, but the Stu scored a beauty to end it.
That 2nd period was awful, they honestly looked lost defensively, like they didn't know where to be. There also seems to be a lack of hustle on the back pressure and lost coverage everywhere. Half the forwards honestly looked like they had no interest in trying to disrupt the play in their own end, it was pretty bizarre to watch.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have no idea why he ducked like he was scared of the puck; it was such a weird move he made. I'll gladly take it, but I don't know what he was thinking.

No time to think, you goal with instinct, anticipation, athleticism, visual spatial ability...

I know it seemed weird but I can understand the reaction, pure reflex of elf preservation

If you look closely, he lost track of the Batherson's pass and where it got deflected, when he turned his head, he sees right away a hockey take a big baseball swing right in front of him. Lucky scenario, great baseball skill by Stutzle

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Lol. If you're a goalie in the NHL and scared of the puck, you might want to consider a career change. That said, that's exactly what it looked like. It reminds me of when I'm driving and a stone hits my windshield and I duck like I'm going to lose my head.

I think he lost the puck, saw it in his peripheral vision at the last second and completely misread the speed and trajectory of the puck.

Looked weird AF though.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Guy Boucher forced a poor team to play a strong defensive game in the N and D zones. Coaching can improve team play without the puck. Dj and this coaching staff appear to not know how to do it.
Yeah and what happened to Guy Boucher??? You guys are putting to much focus on playing without the puck. They just need to improve their passing game and cut back on the high risk plays. But look at Detroit's and Buffalo's defensive game it's not better then Ottawa's.

That 2nd period was awful, they honestly looked lost defensively, like they didn't know where to be. There also seems to be a lack of hustle on the back pressure and lost coverage everywhere. Half the forwards honestly looked like they had no interest in trying to disrupt the play in their own end, it was pretty bizarre to watch.
Wow Detroit must be very bad team then if they still lost? :D

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
While the team has found ways to win lately which is great. Good teams find ways to win when they arent playing their best. However it is a little frightening watching this teams blue line play and D zone. They aren't a discipline team unfortunately. They play hard, work hard but dont work smart. I hope they can clean it up and get the 2 points Saturday and come home.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think he lost the puck, saw it in his peripheral vision at the last second and completely misread the speed and trajectory of the puck.

Looked weird AF though.

It just looked like a guy who flinched really badly because he all of a sudden saw a baseball swing and then something coming straight at his head.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I PVR'd the game, managed to avoid the spoilers and watched it at around midnight. What an exhausting roller-coaster of a game to watch; I'm spent! I was jumping up and down at 2am in the living room on that walk-off home run at the end though.

The good:

- Norris playing with more confidence!
- Ditto JBD!

The bad:

- Hamonic looks done. JBD has passed him on the depth chart IMO.
- The Adventures of Chychrun All Over the Ice. I think even DJ had enough and stapled him to the bench in OT. Surprised seeing Brannstrom play over him in that situation.

The ugly:

- Benny Hill-themed defense without the puck, and then not knowing what to do after puck recovery, rinse, repeat. We need 6 Zubs to survive playing like that.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
While the team has found ways to win lately which is great. Good teams find ways to win when they arent playing their best. However it is a little frightening watching this teams blue line play and D zone. They aren't a discipline team unfortunately. They play hard, work hard but dont work smart. I hope they can clean it up and get the 2 points Saturday and come home.
The most frustrating part of their play is its simple things they struggle with. When the forwards are tracking back they don’t sort out who to pressure which leads to the D giving up the blue line. In zone, rather than try to cover for someone else just do your job. So much of this teams issues are trying to cover for a single players missed assignment leading to a chain reaction of poor decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad