Rumor: Detroit Interested in Petry

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
My dude, Petry played much better after the coaching change. Maybe 6 mil is too expensive but 5-5.5? That's not terrible. And Detroit isn't going to be hurting from overpaying Petry a little bit. worst case scenario is Petry sucks on defense as the 2nd pair RD and Detroit bleeds goals and finishes 7th-10th worst in the league. Detroit will probably finish that low with Hronek there anyway. Why not take the gamble?

Get Petry on the cheap. Trade Hronek for an asset. Then use asset to build a better future by maybe drafting a solid RD prospect in the late 1st or early 2nd?
We also just paid Danny Fricken Dekeyser 4.5
1.5 more for Petry isn't bad.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hronek is a solid top 4 dman. The people on this board that constantly shit on him really show their hockey knowledge, hes only 24. There was a time not that long ago that the exact same posters were saying how Brendan Smith was going to be a number 1 dman still when he was 23 in the AHL.

Hronek isnt a great defensive dman obviously. But 2 seasons ago he played mostly with Dekeyser,and this past season he was playing with Leddy half the season. At 24 he has plenty of time to develop, and he can be put with a stronger defensive partner when the wings have the depth. Hes got 250 games in the NHL at a 40 point pace by the age of 24 on horrible teams and people are just throwing in the towel.

People somehow cant see the potential of Hronek at 28 years old with a strong defensive partner and realise how that could be good for the team
I think one of the more troubling parts of this is that Hronek has actually gotten worse defensively. I get that he has time. I think my thoughts on Hronek is more from the standpoint he can bring value back. If I thought he was a trash NHL player that wouldn't be my opinion. But when he started to trend as a guy that doesn't impact the PP and he has issues defensively I became okay with moving him. Now that isn't to say his ability to produce 5 on 5 means nothing, I think that is underrated, I just see him as a #4/5 now and if we can flip him for an option up front I would welcome that.

I don't really see that as a scenario where we go for Petry, but they might pay us a ton to take him and he would be an ideal guy to break in Edvinsson for a bit. I always more looked at it as a sign a Klingberg type take an aggressive swing and move Hronek on for assets that we still need. Just kind of change the dynamic of the group.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think one of the more troubling parts of this is that Hronek has actually gotten worse defensively. I get that he has time. I think my thoughts on Hronek is more from the standpoint he can bring value back. If I thought he was a trash NHL player that wouldn't be my opinion. But when he started to trend as a guy that doesn't impact the PP and he has issues defensively I became okay with moving him. Now that isn't to say his ability to produce 5 on 5 means nothing, I think that is underrated, I just see him as a #4/5 now and if we can flip him for an option up front I would welcome that.

I don't really see that as a scenario where we go for Petry, but they might pay us a ton to take him and he would be an ideal guy to break in Edvinsson for a bit. I always more looked at it as a sign a Klingberg type take an aggressive swing and move Hronek on for assets that we still need. Just kind of change the dynamic of the group.
Hronek is worse defensively in two steps.
1) Two years ago, he was asked to take on too big a role.
2) Last year, Detroit lost Glendening, Nielsen, Filppula and Helm.

And we were paying $3.5M too much.
Based on paying Dekeyser, we could take on any shitty contract.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I understand the concern. I'm not in love with the cost but last season really was a tale of 2 seasons for Montreal. Like I said earlier in this thread, you're looking at a team that finishes around where Anaheim did if they didn't have Ducharme to start the year. Still not great, but definitely better than dead last.

Petry looked like Jeff Petry from 2 seasons ago after the coaching change. It's a definite gamble to bring him in and expect him to be productive for even 2 of those 3 seasons but I think it's worth the risk.

Also consider this - the asset returned for Hronek, if it's we get a late 1st and use it on a defenseman could maybe be ready to play in 3 years time. By that time graybeard Petry is either gone or playing 3rd pair for peanuts and we all win!

Worst case scenario Detroit LTIRetires Petry and they gun for one of the 2023 or 2024 UFA RD like Matt Dumba, Ryan Graves, Damon Severson, Mackenzie Weegar, Erik Cernak, Brett Pesce, or swing a trade.
I get it, I just don't like that 2nd year of term with Petry, and I hate the 3rd year.

Man, if we're using the DDK contract as any kind of standard for the roadmap to success, we are pretty screwed. That's a loooow bar.

Reactions: Oddbob and SoupNazi

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
please no, if we are going to seek other teams retreads let's just call some people up from the AHL while the youngsters develop into the core. These seasons are meaningless without a full core anyway.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Please do not suggest trading Hronek for Petry, in a forum that I read before having my coffee.

That is one of the most batsh*t-crazy things I've ever read here. They're basically the same person -- offensive defensemen, shoot right, with a very negative career plus-minus -- but one is 10 years older than the other and has a cap hit of $6.25M.

Maybe I'd go for Petry + 2nd round pick in return for our 7th round pick. But it's still a disappointment to me, it's basically an announcement that we're going to eat sh*t for 3 more years.

Adorable how Montreal fans show up to say "aw shucks we'd hate to lose that guy, he's still a high-end player."
totally agree. based on the ages and on the contracts, i'd far, far rather have hronek than petry.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
totally agree. based on the ages and on the contracts, i'd far, far rather have hronek than petry.

So you like more mistake-prone defence and losing games?

And you don't like Simon Edvinsson learn from a veteran? It has never been better for a prospect to learn from other learner.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

And you don't like Simon Edvinsson learn from a veteran? It has never been better for a prospect to learn from other learner.
I think there are a wide variety of opinions for how effective Jeff Petry would be at those things in Detroit.

And since I don't expect Montreal to staple any worthwhile assets to him in a trade, I'd rather look for a better player to help the defense and mentor the kids.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Why not just add a veteran dman for free via free agency that we dont owe 18m to or trade for a 28 y/o(as an example) that is both experienced and could be here for the next 7 years?

If we want to add veteran experience soon lets make sure its cup winning playoff experience we add not just age

Reactions: Oddbob

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
Petry is being way underrated in this thread and nobody wants to consider any data that goes counter to their narrative that he is old, expensive and about to fall off a cliff. He is big, mobile and smart. Not to mention, right handed. There aren't many D like him.

I think his boxcar stats bounce back quite easily and he could play #1 minutes here, like he did in Montreal. That could bring considerable value at the trade deadline, especially with any salary retainment.

We have to be honest with ourselves - we are very unlikely to sign any quality defenseman here without a significant overpay (especially regarding term). If Montreal feels so prohibited by the contract that they want to add assets to make it go away, then that presents a very nice opportunity for Detroit.

As far as Hronek goes, if he is insulted that his minutes take a cut again, then Yzerman can pretty safely move him. I think he is a fine NHL D, but his role should be a #4 where his partner is the better player on the pairing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
As far as Hronek goes, if he is insulted that his minutes take a cut again, then Yzerman can pretty safely move him. I think he is a fine NHL D, but his role should be a #4 where his partner is the better player on the pairing.

I suspect Hronek, Zadina, and Erne will wind up in the new coach's doghouse before Xmas, which is why I'd rather see them traded while they have some value.

At the same time, I'd rather have something better than Petry in return unless there's additional assets involved.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Im very torn on Petry. Seems a little old and probably overpaid but any better UFA is going to cost us more in salary and term if they are even willing to consider coming to detroit in the first place.

For me it ultimately comes down to what we have to offer and what montreal is willing to do to actually make the trade happen. I certainly wouldnt be interested in offering peak value for Petry.

If the Habs are willing to sweeten or at least retain some salary my overall interest definitely expands.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Petry is being way underrated in this thread and nobody wants to consider any data that goes counter to their narrative that he is old, expensive and about to fall off a cliff. He is big, mobile and smart. Not to mention, right handed. There aren't many D like him.

I think his boxcar stats bounce back quite easily and he could play #1 minutes here, like he did in Montreal. That could bring considerable value at the trade deadline, especially with any salary retainment.

We have to be honest with ourselves - we are very unlikely to sign any quality defenseman here without a significant overpay (especially regarding term). If Montreal feels so prohibited by the contract that they want to add assets to make it go away, then that presents a very nice opportunity for Detroit.

You're right that he's being underrated but Petry isn't going to play #1 minutes in Detroit. Seider proved in his rookie season that he's better than Petry and a true #1 defenseman.

If Detroit acquires Petry it's because they want their 2nd pair to not be a black hole, not to take over for Seider who was a top 10 D in his rookie season.

Reactions: SirloinUB and WF19

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
You're right that he's being underrated but Petry isn't going to play #1 minutes in Detroit. Seider proved in his rookie season that he's better than Petry and a true #1 defenseman.

If Detroit acquires Petry it's because they want their 2nd pair to not be a black hole, not to take over for Seider who was a top 10 D in his rookie season.

I meant it in the sense that he would play #1 minutes the same way that someone like Ekholm plays #1 minutes in Nashville, without actually being the #1 D. Not that he would overtake Seider as the #1.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I meant it in the sense that he would play #1 minutes the same way that someone like Ekholm plays #1 minutes in Nashville, without actually being the #1 D. Not that he would overtake Seider as the #1.
Petry averaged 22 minutes TOI, Seider 23 minutes last season.

Seider is young and capable of playing the minutes, Petry is aging (34 years old). If he joins the team, he'd definitely be second pair, and he would be taking ice time away from whomever winds up being on the third pair, not Seider.

I don't see this trade happening, so it's a moot point as far as Petry. It would take someone like Letang (25 min TOI) to steal minutes from Seider.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I don't think I'm underestimating his ability. I think he is a good hockey player. I just don't see how he uniquely helps us outside of the following:

He comes with other assets we would want (prospects - picks -etc) and conditionally, provides us an opportunity replace Hronek

I am not questioning his ability nor even his salary which I think is generally fair given his talent and ability. I AM questioning is how he helps us outside of playing 2nd Pair RHD duties as a three year stopgap, and realistically, declining over that period of time which maybe we do need but I feel like there are cheaper, easier solutions than this who have better long term value.

If we're going to take a 6M a year, cap save move for another team, we might as well plug the left side in this instance because that's in way worse shape than the right (Seider, Hronek, Lindstrom) - do we need a longer term solve at the 2nd pair RHD? Sure, Longer term...not a 34 year old.

On the left? Going into the season we have exactly.... Oesterle. Out of the prospects, RFAs, etc. - Staal? Wahlman? Then we have the prospects/rookies: Edvinsson, Johansson, Sebrango, etc. Which looks incredible...!....in three years.

Petry isn't a great fit - not because of of his talent or his salary. Now, if we trade Hronek for picks and pieces - neat, then Petry makes a lot more sense in that 2nd Pair, otherwise it seems like a weird place to focus when the Left Side is in shambles.

Reactions: SirloinUB

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
Petry averaged 22 minutes TOI, Seider 23 minutes last season.

Seider is young and capable of playing the minutes, Petry is aging (34 years old). If he joins the team, he'd definitely be second pair, and he would be taking ice time away from whomever winds up being on the third pair, not Seider.

I don't see this trade happening, so it's a moot point as far as Petry. It would take someone like Letang (25 min TOI) to steal minutes from Seider.

Well, we don't know how the new coach will see things. Most here assume a continued linear development for Seider, but that is not a given. Even if we assume that Seider and Petry play on different pairs, we don't know how they would be deployed. Petry could end up getting a lot of the tougher, defensive minutes and bounce back closer to a TOI total closer to where he had been in previous seasons, before the disaster that was the 2021-2022 Montreal Canadiens.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, we don't know how the new coach will see things. Most here assume a continued linear development for Seider, but that is not a given. Even if we assume that Seider and Petry play on different pairs, we don't know how they would be deployed. Petry could end up getting a lot of the tougher, defensive minutes and bounce back closer to a TOI total closer to where he had been in previous seasons, before the disaster that was the 2021-2022 Montreal Canadiens.
Linear? He's surpassed every expectation I had out of him in the past 2 years.

I don't see Seider regressing at all, and he's already better than Petry. The last thing a coach is going to do is give Petry tougher defensive assignments over Seider, especially when Seider managed to knock over everyone that touched him aside from Boyle.

Any new coach is going with whichever defenseman gives him the least heartburn, and I will bet money on Seider unless Stevie signs Letang. Letang still has offense....

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Now we're talking about Petry coming in and taking over the #1 spot from Seider?

This thread was already off the rails, now it's jumping onto a completely different track, on a head-on collision with "Babcock should be the next head coach."

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Now we're talking about Petry coming in and taking over the #1 spot from Seider?

This thread was already off the rails, now it's jumping onto a completely different track, on a head-on collision with "Babcock should be the next head coach."

No, we aren't.

Reactions: CountMC

CountMC

Mar 30, 2022
Linear? He's surpassed every expectation I had out of him in the past 2 years.

I don't see Seider regressing at all, and he's already better than Petry. The last thing a coach is going to do is give Petry tougher defensive assignments over Seider, especially when Seider managed to knock over everyone that touched him aside from Boyle.

Any new coach is going with whichever defenseman gives him the least heartburn, and I will bet money on Seider unless Stevie signs Letang. Letang still has offense....
Linear is a graph that only goes up over time. So far we have seen that with Seider and I love it, but I don't know for sure that it will continue that way until he hits his peak.

There's more to defense than physically outmuscling your opponent. I would think Petry would get a lot of tough defensive assignments if he was acquired. This would probably free up Seider to push offense even more.

No, we aren't.

Thank you for actually taking the time to comprehend the point I was attempting to make! That's more than one can usually expect on a message board, it appears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad