Rumor: Detroit Interested in Petry

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Habs will not give an asset to trade Petry, he is still a valuable asset on an NHL team, people stat watched and it's ok but I watched the 82 games last year and the second Ducharme was out it was like a relief for him. A middle pick should be a fine price for him because of his contract. He was really good the last 25 games of the season. You don't want him fine I understand but don't sh** on a guy you didn't see play and only stat watched

Doesn't matter. It is his contract everyone hates. He is soon to be 35 with 3 more years at 6.5. Wings, may have cap space this season but maybe not next year and the year after. Even if is ok, 6.25 is a lot to pay for a defender that isn't exactly a defensive stalwart on a team like Detroit who already has defensive issues.

Reactions: Maitz

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hronek is bad...Petry is an upgrade...we get a pick...Petry's contract expires when we need it to.

How bad Hronek is, is so overrated in Wings land. He will be a fine 3-5 guy for his whole career on a non train wreck team. He competes hard, is willing to stand up for teammates, his defence is nowhere near as bad as everyone suggests, and he skates well and can play the offensive game. Even Leddy looked good in St. Louis and we all hated him here. I wouldn't trade Hronek for anything less than a comparable level player or late1st, or 2nd rounder plus solid prospect/player.

Sometimes it is like others don't watch any other games than Wings games. If you watch other teams defenders there are lots of ones that make plays you hate and Hronek is better than plenty of them.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think folks here really don't understand the tale of two Petry's that happend for him last season.

If I were to tell you that Petry's stats before St. Louis became coach was 0.36 points per 60, but under St. Louis was 1.92 per 60....would say that he is "washed up"?

Granted he's not getting younger....but he still had 117 blocks and 140 hits compared to Hronek's 81 blocks and 70 hits. Even if Petry turns out to be a higher scoring version of Marc Staal for two years....isn't that worth it for building up Edvinsson. And his cap hit is a nothing burger being that we are 14M below the Cap Floor and having 35M in cap space...even with Seider, Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Raymond all getting good raises in the coming years... it won't even get us close to the cap ceiling by the time Petry's contract comes off the books and it's time to pay someone else.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think folks here really don't understand the tale of two Petry's that happend for him last season.

If I were to tell you that Petry's stats before St. Louis became coach was 0.36 points per 60, but under St. Louis was 1.92 per 60....would say that he is "washed up"?

Granted he's not getting younger....but he still had 117 blocks and 140 hits compared to Hronek's 81 blocks and 70 hits. Even if Petry turns out to be a higher scoring version of Marc Staal for two years....isn't that worth it for building up Edvinsson. And his cap hit is a nothing burger being that we are 14M below the Cap Floor and having 35M in cap space...even with Seider, Larkin, Bertuzzi, and Raymond all getting good raises in the coming years... it won't even get us close to the cap ceiling by the time Petry's contract comes off the books and it's time to pay someone else.

Nobody cares about his second half though. His contract sucks. I don't care if we have space this year. What if we want to actually get better, the space may be an issue in that case? That is also assuming he can even maintain his second half performance for 3 more years which is doubtful at best. He also is an offensive minded defender who doesn't improve us in the area we need the most help in, actual playing of defence in our own end.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I just don't see how Petry to Detroit is a fit. I think these rumors are bogus. It's not a deal Yzerman makes, unless ownership is pushing him to. And if it is, I would think Yzerman leaves and goes where he can have free reign. We'll see, but I'm very sceptic.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He wants out.

But we most definitely will not pay assets just to get rid of him.

Then again, keep him! I am not sure why any GM would give anything for him with that contract, even teams with cap space.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Then again, keep him! I am not sure why any GM would give anything for him with that contract, even teams with cap space.
6.25M for a 40+ points D that plays on the PP and the PK is a solid contract.

I don't know if you saw how much D's are being paid lately in the league...

Reactions: pth2

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
6.25M for a 40+ points D that plays on the PP and the PK is a solid contract.

I don't know if you saw how much D's are being paid lately in the league...

Not for a 35 year old who isn't really good at actual defence. He is passable in his own end at that price. He is also going to get worse/slow down, as virtually no players maintain their pace into their late 30s. If we were talking 30-32 year that is a different story, but we aren't. Also he had a terrible first half, who says he will return to his end of season pace with a new coach?

Also wanted to add, that if the situation were reversed, there certainly wouldn't be any Habs fans here clamouring for the very great Jeff Petry. Habs fans would be asking for at least a 1st to take him, just like we are!

Reactions: SoupNazi

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Not for a 35 year old who isn't really good at actual defence. He is passable in his own end at that price. He is also going to get worse/slow down, as virtually no players maintain their pace into their late 30s. If we were talking 30-32 year that is a different story, but we aren't. Also he had a terrible first half, who says he will return to his end of season pace with a new coach?

Also wanted to add, that if the situation were reversed, there certainly wouldn't be any Habs fans here clamouring for the very great Jeff Petry. Habs fans would be asking for at least a 1st to take him, just like we are!
He was clearly not on the same page with Ducharme, he even said it to the media.

After MSL took over he put up 21 points in 30 GP.

Honestly, I don't even want him traded but he asked for a trade so he's undeniably on the block.

All I'm trying to say here is that he's not a cap dump where the Habs need to add assets just to get rid of his contract that's not even bad, to begin with.

HuGo is trading a solid D, not a burden.

If the offers are bad they can just keep him and that's it.

Reactions: pth2 and I See Blue

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He was clearly not on the same page with Ducharme, he even said it to the media.

After MSL took over he put up 21 points in 30 GP.

Honestly, I don't even want him traded but he asked for a trade so he's undeniably on the block.

All I'm trying to say here is that he's not a cap dump where the Habs need to add assets just to get rid of his contract that's not even bad, to begin with.

HuGo is trading a solid D, not a burden.

His contract still makes him a cap dump. His play is the least of the worries, it is 3 years of 6.25 on a very likely declining player.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

I wouldn't take any of this personally. We're not the right trade partner and I seriously question the legitimacy of that rumor. Petry doesn't check the box or move the needle for us in any meaningful way other than some on here see it as a way to dump Hronek. None of this ever really made or makes sense from a Detroit Standpoint. It literally only makes sense for us if we get assets in return for him.

"but he's good" - sure. He's also 34, and with or without Jeff Petry - we are going to be mediocre. So us adding him at this point doesn't make us suddenly a contender. Could we take him? Absolutely. Does it get us to the playoffs? Absolutely Not.

We are interested in pieces that are going to be meaningful for us to add to our core which will be competitive like in 3 years. In 3 years, Jeff Petry is not an integral part to any team. It's nothing against Petry. He's a fine hockey player and I'm sure a valuable asset but this all feels pretty forced. There are better options than us.

Petry is a guy you offer to provide some veteran leadership to a young D core looking to add that Top 4 PMD to give them the push over the top to be serious contenders - EDM, COL, CAR, etc. (if any of them had the space). He is not a guy you trade to the 8th worst team in hockey whose best players are a 19 and 20 year old rookies and just got our from under the albatross contracts of Dekeyser. This team is building for 2025. Jeff Petry is just not part of that equation.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
How bad Hronek is, is so overrated in Wings land. He will be a fine 3-5 guy for his whole career on a non train wreck team. He competes hard, is willing to stand up for teammates, his defence is nowhere near as bad as everyone suggests, and he skates well and can play the offensive game. Even Leddy looked good in St. Louis and we all hated him here. I wouldn't trade Hronek for anything less than a comparable level player or late1st, or 2nd rounder plus solid prospect/player.

Sometimes it is like others don't watch any other games than Wings games. If you watch other teams defenders there are lots of ones that make plays you hate and Hronek is better than plenty of them.

giphy.gif

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016

If the goal is to win the Cup that will not happen if Hronek is your 3rd best defenseman, you won’t convince me otherwise. If you want to argue he could be a 4, then Detroit needs Edvinsson to be as good as Seider so he can make up for Hronek’s shortcomings which are plentiful.

You imply Wing fans don’t watch other games, have you watched the Finals? Hronek wouldn’t sniff the top 4 on either team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If the goal is to win the Cup that will not happen if Hronek is your 3rd best defenseman, you won’t convince me otherwise. If you want to argue he could be a 4, then Detroit needs Edvinsson to be as good as Seider so he can make up for Hronek’s shortcomings which are plentiful.

You imply Wing fans don’t watch other games, have you watched the Finals? Hronek wouldn’t sniff the top 4 on either team.

Did I say he was one of the best Top 4 guys out there or something? I said he wasn't as bad as lots of other teams top 4-5 guys. You bringing up the top 2 teams in the league isn't a fair argument. I mentioned other teams, because there are lots of bad ones out there league wide, and Hronek is much better than given credit for in comparison.

Reactions: jaster and newfy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Petry played 1st PP over Seider everybody in the front office should be fired. And that does nothing to control Mo’s contract value as it would be such an obvious attempt to sabotage it.

Why wasn't Yzerman fired at Tampa when he did exact same thing?

Hedman has been 3M underpaid since that move, and that's one of those multiple bargains Yzerman did and that's why they did win their Cups.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Tell me you don't know hockey without telling me you don't know hockey.

Well you told all non Habs fans you have great big homer glasses!

Jeff Petry has negative value?

View attachment 560033

Does not seem very negative to me.

View attachment 560034

The amount of bullshit is quite enormous in this discussion.

This chart doesn't show his contract, nor the fact he will be 35 in December. Not that hard to see the negativity to it. People hated the Leddy trade, and he only had one year left of being overpaid. Nevermind having 3 more seasons to go.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad