Rumor: Detroit Interested in Petry

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
If true that means that Filip Hronek is definitely 100% out the door, Pretty sure Petry would love to come home to Detroit in the waning years of his career. If Yzerman gets him he had better not pay a high premium for him.
Maybe Petry+ Carolina's 3rd for Hronek? Helps Montreal with salary and they get a live body in return. And Detroit upgrades it's 2nd pair and has a partner for Edvinsson.

Reactions: lilidk

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Maybe Petry+ Carolina's 3rd for Hronek? Helps Montreal with salary and they get a live body in return. And Detroit upgrades it's 2nd pair and has a partner for Edvinsson.
This is exactly something i was thinking as well, And it makes tons of sense for both teams. And i can see something like this happening if Petry does come home.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This makes a lot of sense. He'd be a good vet and partner for Edvinsson. It'd be real nice to have that extra stability. His cap hit won't affect us at all the three year term is fine.

Reactions: I See Blue

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
There are worse ways to reach the cap floor, he can help the PP i'd think. Not ideal, but money has to be spent. As mentioned, with the 3 year term remaining, it's not like he's going to be putting them in a cap crunch any of those seasons unless Yzerman makes some drastic changes and spends a lot of cap room.

Reactions: NickH8

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’m high for the first time in a minute, so I hope this makes sense:

I suppose we need a veteran insurance defenseman who can still play top 4 minutes and the free agent market is pretty slim. I can understand the inquiry…but that doesn’t mean I’m not bargain-hunting. Giving up on Hronek, who isn’t even 25 and has only played under genius Jeff Blashill (whose name seems to have fallen off the NHL coaching finalists lists of most/all teams post-interview), for a guy who probably won’t live to see the competitive years is something I’m going to need to be sold on. Hronek wouldn’t be the first kid to go from clumsy hands to competent executor under new coaching or the first defenseman to finally put it all together at the age of 27. I think he has prime #3 potential if he just valued his decisions better. Those patterns can be rooted out with good coaching. Petry is just a few years too old for me to favor him. I’m not totally opposed to the idea, but someone would have to convince me Petry has player-coach capabilities or some other bonus like that.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Petry is a better choice than Klingberg, when you think of long term salary cap control. Petry's contract ends just when we have to start re-signing our ELC kids, but Klingberg have more years left in tank. Petry would also leave a hole in the top-4 in 3 years, assuming he can stay in shape those years. Klingberg would be still signed for 3-4 years.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why would Montreal trade him?
Arent both teams rebuilding...

That's right. Rebuilding clubs dont desire declining 34 year old signed for 3 more seasons at 6 million per.

We need to spend money that's right... Do so on guys who can be part of the longer term solution not just help us reach the cap floor, that's Arizona territory

Reactions: jkutswings

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Why would Montreal trade him?
Arent both teams rebuilding...

That's right. Rebuilding clubs dont desire declining 34 year old signed for 3 more seasons at 6 million per.

We need to spend money that's right... Do so on guys who can be part of the longer term solution not just help us reach the cap floor, that's Arizona territory
He wanted out of Montreal all last season. It really showed in the games he played too.

I wouldn’t mind the wings acquiring him, as long as we aren’t giving up much. As many others have already stated, his contract is a bit much with his age and the term remaining.

Will definitely be an interesting summer though!!

Reactions: I See Blue

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Please do not suggest trading Hronek for Petry, in a forum that I read before having my coffee.

That is one of the most batsh*t-crazy things I've ever read here. They're basically the same person -- offensive defensemen, shoot right, with a very negative career plus-minus -- but one is 10 years older than the other and has a cap hit of $6.25M.

Maybe I'd go for Petry + 2nd round pick in return for our 7th round pick. But it's still a disappointment to me, it's basically an announcement that we're going to eat sh*t for 3 more years.

Adorable how Montreal fans show up to say "aw shucks we'd hate to lose that guy, he's still a high-end player."

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He wanted out of Montreal all last season. It really showed in the games he played too.

I wouldn’t mind the wings acquiring him, as long as we aren’t giving up much. As many others have already stated, his contract is a bit much with his age and the term remaining.

Will definitely be an interesting summer though!!
So what if he wants or wanted out.

Montreal should have to pay too move him.

Salary retention and two 2nds or a 1st

Acquiring him makes no sense for us in my humble opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad