Post-Game Talk: Detroit 5, Toronto 2. EVERYONE CALM THE **** DOWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

You complained about Phaneuf and Bozak on the PP. The Leafs have ranked in the top half of the league in terms of PP for the past few years now. You don't think missing your best offensive weapon on the PP (a weapon that cannot be replaced) has any effect on the way the unit as a whole works? Do you realize how often Kessel makes himself open to receive passes from Phaneuf? Do you realize how often Kessel is able to hold on to the puck and pass it back to the point to Phaneuf when he doesn't have a shooting lane? Individual tendencies don't matter a lick if it doesn't hinder the overall ability of the unit. Do you ***** about Phaneuf and Bozak on every PP even when they manage to score a goal, get an assist or are on the ice when their unit scores a goal?

You're complaining about hockey IQ. If it were so easy to 'fix', why the hell isn't common for mediocre players to become like Crosbys and Ovechkins in this league? We're not talking about rookie mistakes. We're talking about the personnel itself. You can't reprogram players to think the game so differently...especially when they've already been doing what they do for 8 seasons already. Bad tendencies can be compensated by a strong team system (or having individual players that can pick up the slack). It is what it is. If you're gonna whine, go for wanting to get rid of Phaneuf. It seems a lot more possible than expecting a guy to jump 20 points in his hockey IQ.

Phaneuf/Bozak never gain the blue line on PP. Phaneuf when tries fails horiibly. He carries the puck on PP on which he is brutal.

Phaneuf:

Bad skater. Mishandles the puck alot. Does not have a quick one touch pass, his one timers miss the net more often, lately he is not even taking the one timers. Doesn't keep the shot low enough to at least get rebounds. He cannot handle a quick pass. Takes too long to pass the puck on the PP (his dumbheadedness is magnified especially on 5 on 3 PPs, say how many times did we score on 5-3 PPs?)

Bozak:
Useless peice of ****. Does not have a shot. Always looks to pass to Kessel, even when Kessel is covered by a D and hardly open (PP or otherwise). Doesn't see the ice well and wastes offensive opportunites on PP and even strength. And, has such stone hands that he hardly converts on great passes from Kessel.

MOD

I am not complaining about hockey "IQ". I am complaining about the simple and obvious things that can be fixed but are not.

Bold I agree. Bold and underlined DO NOT AGREE. If that were the case "Development of Players" would not exist. Its never "it is what it is".

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
aaaaaaaaaah loud noises!!! screw you liles #fireliles. I say we bundle all the goodies up, ie joe "big bust" colborne, john "cant believe I get paid that much" liles, and ole joe bowen to calgary for either A) 15 pucks B) breaking bad dvd collection or C) a break from the "nuckles bernier" crap.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I can't believe we bought out Grabovski and kept Bozak. That doesn't make much sense. Should have just used the buyout on Liles and let Bozak walk.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
So what? Don't say "what if this happen" because it didn't and Leafs made it to the playoffs regardless. Your're saying how Reimer carried the team last season, which I disagree. We had a lot of offensive support from Phaneuf, Kadri, Kessel and Franson all season long, so I don't know why your're saying the the leafs hung out Reimer to dry? We had a top 3 P.K, top 6 GF and ppg winger, so Reimer cannot possibly carry this team. The only way Reimer ever carried the team was in his first season when the team was in huge slump and was risk giving a top 3 pick to Boston. Ever since that I don't think Reimer ever dominated completely on a daily bases. Although, I do admit he contributed to the team's success.

Reimer played as well as he did in his rookie season if not better. How can you say he dominated in his first season but not last season? Reimer was simply outstanding for the Leafs, and was the biggest reason they made the playoffs. He pretty much carried this team to the playoffs whether you want to believe it or not. They played more in their own end of the rink as opposed to the oppositions end of the ice. It's not hard to see how Reimer was the main reason they even qualified for the playoffs last season.

BayStreetBullies*

image.png

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You're moving off your mark. You started with we can't question him because he's a cup winner then moved you can't question the success of his system. Sure you can, he does it himself. You can't argue it hasn't been a winning system, you can argue how successful it's been.

Which then goes back to exactly what I said. Everyone is running out of time, why make that about Gardiner? Specific question? Motivation?

But this is just semantics now. My point was simple. Gardiner's played well this preseason and should be on this roster. I hope Carlyle's comments aren't a threat or an indication that Gardiner's spot in our top 6 is in doubt. He isn't playing as well as he did in the playoffs, but I don't know why anyone would expect him to.

If you understand the D zone system that Carlyle wants the team to play.....you would understand what he is saying. Gardinar has not been good in his own zone playing the system that Carlyle wants.

The system is called double down and it calls for getting the puck carrier face to the wall and double down coverage on him.....you will should see both D men near or at the point of attack with a forward usually the center there as well. One player is sniffing for the puck and the other two are out manning the puck carrier to gain possession. Strong side forward who is not involved is inside the line of the dots and protects the cross ice pass as well as pressures the pass back to the point. Weakside forward has sagged down to provide net front support. If the puck is sent behind our net then he pressures the puck carrier to make a pass rather then walk out....if puck get out to the weakside D man he gets into the shooting lanes along with others and use a layering approach to limit options of the shooter.

Lots more responsibilities but that is the cliff note version...

Our PK is ran the same way....watch the goals again and you will see that players were freelancing and missed many rotations and reads. Remember the goalie plays within the system and when players fail to play within the system the goalie suffers as he can not depend on players making the reads and support he needs to read the play.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Grabo is an offensive black hole, come on he only has 6pts in 3 games 2ppg, what the heck did we need that bum for when we got a guy who stands in front of the net gets suspended 10games for helping someone who didn't need helping, oh and he can't skate. Clarkson is worse the Bozak in reality. It's hard to believe but yep.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Grabo is an offensive black hole, come on he only has 6pts in 3 games 2ppg, what the heck did we need that bum for when we got a guy who stands in front of the net gets suspended 10games for helping someone who didn't need helping, oh and he can't skate. Clarkson is worse the Bozak in reality. It's hard to believe but yep.

Grabo lost his job to Kadri....why is it that you can not understand that.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
If Carlyle is seeing issue in Gardiner's game, I don't know what sense it would make if he ended up keeping Rielly past the 9 games. Gardiner needs to experience the ups and downs of playing in the NHL to get better. There's nothing for him to learn in the AHL or in the pressbox. But maybe Carlyle will be using Rielly to send a message to Gardiner. If Rielly is going to get some more looks by Carlyle, it will likely be Gardiner's place that he takes because they're similar kind of players (as you pointed out). Not to mention, the other guys sitting in the pressbox is Liles and he'll probably get some games in when Carlyle wants to send a message to Gardiner. I'm all for players having to earn their ice time, I just hope that Carlyle understand the personalities of each of his players and sends 'messages' in a manner that will most likely motivate them. If sitting in a pressbox motivates Gardiner, then by all means but I just hope it's the right move. In fairness, it seemed to work last year when Gardiner was released from the pressbox and went beast in the playoffs.

While Gards had his share of defensive lapses, I think this is more of a smoke blowing contest to "justify" keeping Rielly up for the 9 games before making the "tough" decision to send him back down. At which point Gards steps in with some fire under him and has a breakout season.

So says my magic 8 ball.

leafstilldeath*

Hey guys accidentally used work software to upload the excel sheet on Carlyle's coaching stats anybody know how do I delete it? help please.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
then why did Reimer look just as good as a rookie in Wilson's system, with just as good numbers?

he had that wilson-coached team winning at a playoff pace, too.

Because the 10 or so unsustainable games to start his NHL career inflated his 37 GP rookie season stats. Let's not rehash this dumb conversation.

reimersv9av.jpg

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hey guys accidentally used work software to upload the excel sheet on Carlyle's coaching stats anybody know how do I delete it? help please.

i would assume click edit on your post and delete? (that's my best guess) :( i hope that helps

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
This is such as B.S comment. You do know that we were top 10 in defenseman scoring as a team, top 6 in GA and top 2 in P.K. Don't act like the team as whole didn't contribute at all and Reimer basically carried this team. We had so many improvents from players such as Kadri, Kessel, JVR, Franson and Phaneuf. So what if we were a bad possession team. That didn't stop us from making the playoffs. Fenwick stats can go **** themselves.

Don't forget that the team also led the league in shot blocks.

leafstilldeath*

i would assume click edit on your post and delete? (that's my best guess) :( i hope that helps

nah tried that. Doesn't let me delete the extension only delete or edit my content in the comment box. Just email the webmaster. hopefully it gets resolved. Thanks anyway. Cheers.

EDIT: FYI Apparently if I go edit and then "Go Advanced" it lets me remove the attachment. wow that was a close one lol.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Grabo lost his job to Kadri....why is it that you can not understand that.

I think it's much more the losing it to Bozak part that is least entertaining.
Bozak and Colby Clarkstrong... 9.45M
Grabo... 5.5M
We'll see how that turns out.

Last edited:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
So much whining. Can't we all just be happy we aren't one of the teams who's arena announcers announce "POOOOWEEEERPLAAAAY" like a Japanese game show or a sega genesis game power up?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
ladies... relax. it's 1 game.

****. i sometimes wonder why I bother coming here. :shakehead

lol i'd just like to point out, I am very relaxed.
it's the guys who are freaking out :laugh:

this is going to be a very long season for some of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad